Florida Concealed Carry banner
81 - 86 of 86 Posts

Registered
I learned and utilized the scoop draw for several years prior to physical changes necessitated moving my setup from 3:00 to 11:30. It's not really doable for me at 11:30, but I still advocate it for those who carry strong side. Easy to learn and practice, and quick.
I've revisited the scoop draw sing posting this in January. It is indeed do-able, practical and effective for my centerline IWB carry. From the "interview" or "surrender" starting position insisted on by many schools and instructors, it isn't optimal, but for a draw that starts from hands at sides or hands in pockets, it works great for me. I just had to re-think it in the AIWB position and work it out. Another tool in the box for when needed. It's good to have options.

Registered
I've been to lots of advanced training classes around the country, including Brownie's in Florida. Students working from concealment have been a rarity in all of them. Brownie's are the only ones in which I worked from open carry. The reason for that is simple, literally hundreds of draw strokes, all day long, in the Florida heat. My skin simply isn't up to that many presentations from concealment.
All the classes I took with brownie and EBL I did from concealment with their permission. I went there to shoot how I carry with what I carry. I also shot 1911s in all them which meant I got to practice twice as many reloads. 馃槵 I think I did 150+ reloads in the one two day class Brownie did scoop drawing the whole time?

Registered
All the classes I took with brownie and EBL I did from concealment with their permission. I went there to shoot how I carry with what I carry. I also shot 1911s in all them which meant I got to practice twice as many reloads. 馃槵 I think I did 150+ reloads in the one two day class Brownie did scoop drawing the whole time?
No doubt, Saiid. 馃憤
I worked RSO at that class, and I remember you shooting those two 1911s鈥

Super Moderator
No doubt, Saiid. 馃憤
I worked RSO at that class, and I remember you shooting those two 1911s鈥
Same here and nice 1911s they are, too! 馃 (y) (y)

Registered
I went there in 2015 to learn threat-focused skills. Brownie rightfully suggested that I get an OWB holster so I could focus on the skin rather than having to be constantly adjusting my carry set-up between presentations. I believe that is the only class I've ever gone through open carrying. I was still carrying strong side IWB with an undergarment between skin and gun. After a few draws for speed, the undergarment needs readjusted, which takes time and attention. Now, I no longer have the undershirt, so it's not an issue.

One of several advantages the scoop draw affords me over my gamer draw from hands up that some other schools insist on is that I don't rake my thumb down between skin and gun. After a morning of those conventional draws, my abdomen is scraped and scratched raw.

My highest round-count class with a single stack was the FASTER I class I took this summer. Over eight hundred rounds through my .45 Shield over three days. I kept up just fine, but as you said, lots of reloads.

Years ago, I took the TDI snubby revolver class at TDI. I ran eight hundred rounds through my 940 J frame over a two day class. I would load tthiry-five or forty moon clips up at a time and fill my BDU jacket pockets with spare ammo. Everyone else was alternating on and off the line to reload speed strips and loaders while I kept shooting.

Registered
I went there in 2015 to learn threat-focused skills. Brownie rightfully suggested that I get an OWB holster so I could focus on the skin rather than having to be constantly adjusting my carry set-up between presentations. I believe that is the only class I've ever gone through open carrying. I was still carrying strong side IWB with an undergarment between skin and gun. After a few draws for speed, the undergarment needs readjusted, which takes time and attention. Now, I no longer have the undershirt, so it's not an issue.

One of several advantages the scoop draw affords me over my gamer draw from hands up that some other schools insist on is that I don't rake my thumb down between skin and gun. After a morning of those conventional draws, my abdomen is scraped and scratched raw.

My highest round-count class with a single stack was the FASTER I class I took this summer. Over eight hundred rounds through my .45 Shield over three days. I kept up just fine, but as you said, lots of reloads.

Years ago, I took the TDI snubby revolver class at TDI. I ran eight hundred rounds through my 940 J frame over a two day class. I would load tthiry-five or forty moon clips up at a time and fill my BDU jacket pockets with spare ammo. Everyone else was alternating on and off the line to reload speed strips and loaders while I kept shooting.
I think it was the second class I took with brownie? Anyway I/we shot like 1500~ rounds over two days. I shot almost 900 the first day. Using an OWB leather under a tshirt. And yeah like I said while everyone was still shooting I was dropping a mag and reloading. I was worn out after that one. The gun was too!
Purple Rectangle Pink Bag Box

81 - 86 of 86 Posts