Florida Concealed Carry banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3,717 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was using a bunch of random Outers Gun Care for my cleaning kit. Messy, and it took a long time.

Break-Free CLP and some quality wipes. My Px4 handled well anyways, now maybe it is the placebo effect, but I feel that the action and slide on my weapon are functioning noticeably better. And it looks great too.

I've got 200 rounds of Speer Lawman to put downrange this weekend, as well. FYI, if you are in South Florida, Johnson Firearms in Miami is well-stocked with Speer TMJ and Gold Dots. http://johnsonfirearms.com/ -

Now, for an educational bent, Break-Free is the recognized brand. Should I look into some more serious solvents or should I be fine with Break-Free and some quality wipes, pads, and cleaning rods?

·
Registered
15,493 Posts
Break Free CLP is great for everything but the bore. I use Shooter's Choice for dissolving copper in the barrel, and if I'm shooting lead, just copper Chore Boy wrapped aroung an old bore brush. One thing, if you spray the frame with CLP...take off he grips if they come off and wipe the frame down under there..if left on, it can discolor the finish.

- - - Updated - - -

Break Free CLP is great for everything but the bore. I use Shooter's Choice for dissolving copper in the barrel, and if I'm shooting lead, just copper Chore Boy wrapped aroung an old bore brush. One thing, if you spray the frame with CLP...take off he grips if they come off and wipe the frame down under there..if left on, it can discolor the finish.

·
Registered
2,742 Posts
CLP should do well for light-cleaning purposes, but for heavy powder residue, you really should have a good solvent. CLP can also suffice as a lubricant, but I like to use M-Pro 7 gun oil on all my firearms. It's good stuff and I can get it at Walmart and other sporting goods stores.

·
Registered
4,321 Posts
I've got $50 worth of Frog Lube stuff here. I'll report back...

·
Registered
15,493 Posts

·
Registered
849 Posts

·
Registered
4,321 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
I Love my Frog Lube but it takes a long time to clean a rifle well.
I don't mind the pistols and I think it is a good idea in the Florida humidity, But darn cleaning my AR properly is a real labor of Love.

I've been using it for about 2 years so I think my weapons are seasoned.

·
Registered
6,262 Posts
I treat my guns really bad, hardly clean my Glock's, take slide off, spray the internals, tissue wipe down, holster, and on my way.

I can not remember when I stripped my magazines down.

Went to the Sheriffs range (When we were allowed to!) the young Instructor took the slide off my G19, carry gun. A big breath, blew a big chunk of fluff out of it!

They always go bang.

·
Registered
840 Posts
I have been a CLP fan for eons and I recently got some frog lube. It seems to do what it says it does and I've seen the lube oozing out when the gun get's warm after shooting a few rounds. It's a process at first, but I like the fact that it soaks in/dries and provides lubrication as the gun heats up.

·
Registered
143 Posts
I've baked all my metal gun parts with Militec 1 & I've been using Strike Hold for light cleaning. They're both awesome. Hoppe's 9 is what I clean my barrels with after a long day at the range. If I need a little lube on the fly I use Weapons Shield in the little pen applicator.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts