Florida Concealed Carry banner

81 - 100 of 107 Posts

·
Registered
6,634 Posts
Get yer a$$ qualified, so you can shoot with us on the big boy range. ;)
Lmfao...... little boy with big gun no is qualified.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,069 Posts
We found out one of the reasons for this is, IMHO. According to the RSO at the 50/100 yard range, they [currently] don't allow .223/5.56 or higher caliber rifles on the 25/50 yard "rifle" range; they allow pistol caliber carbines only. . .WTH? I say currently because that RSO said he was trying to get that changed. So apparently, people that have minimal knowledge and experience sighting in a rifle period, much less an AR platform rifle, come to the range and can only sight in an AR on the 50/100 yard range. That should be ok for people that know what they're doing and sighting in typical long range rifles by even "bore sighting" visually should get one on paper. However, a lot of people that don't really know how to sight in a rifle period buy an AR platform rifle with no iron sights at all and slap an optic on it thinking they'll be close, but often aren't and can understand why! Even those that do have factory irons, unless they've done their homework and know how to achieve "mechanical zero" on an AR rifle, they'll still have a hard time. Finally, even if one knows what they're doing and wants to sight in a 5.56 caliber AR for a "first zero" of 25 yards, apparently they can't right now at this facility.
THIS.......has been a real problem at our martin county range too. Mostly by new AR shooters who do know anything about the rifle and and how to sight it in.....baffles being hit constantly......zeroing MUST be done on the 25 yd zeroing section on the 50yd line. Plus we got rid of the wood baffles for angled steel......nothing between those and the 50 and 100 yd lines.......

·
Registered
5,069 Posts
Concur with everything racer points out here, and I've had three more trips around the Sun than he! 🤠
I agree with both of you on that......falling behind on my prone body work......benches have angles you just cant remove and i find myself constantly trying to position myself and the rifle in the best position possible but find myself constantly having to readjust the rifle following a shot. Prone you can get straighter angles.....a good reminder for me to keep working on by extension exercises (y)

·
Registered
12,019 Posts
Discussion Starter #84
zeroing MUST be done on the 25 yd zeroing section on the 50yd line.
I have always been able to bore-sight on the 100 yard range - and get on paper with the first shot. It's really not that hard. And, there are tons of Youtube videos on how to do it.

I think the problem is that these newbies don't even know that a rifle (optic or iron sights) has to be zeroed AT ALL. They don't even know what it means. They think that you can just bolt an optic to a rifle, and it's ready to go. Literally. Bolt it on and "you can't miss."

To wit... if I "show off" some of my longer distance targets (or more likely my daughter's!), the average layperson will say, "Well, yeah.... you have a scope, so... (you can't miss)." They think a scope is magical.

The problem isn't the distance (for zeroing). The problem is the complete absence of knowledge of the concept.

·
Registered
2,664 Posts
Get yer a$$ qualified, so you can shoot with us on the big boy range. ;)
Next time we go. Promise.

I finally closed the chapter on that little "bi-polar" disorder with the Tavor.
I removed the Primary Arms 4x-14x scope (w/ACSS reticle) and installed a Meprolight M21 red dot with the triangle reticle.
I already feel so much better about that decision!! Haven't even shot with it yet.

Put simply: The Tavor is not a 200 or 300 yard weapon.
Not that it can't do it, but at 200 yards you don't really "need" a bullpup platform to get there.

So next time, I'll definitely be on the 100 yard range with the revised Tavor setup, but then I'll either qualify with that at 100, or bring the RPR.
Really psyched to shoot with the Meprolight. Should have got one years ago - and could have saved the money I plopped down on (3) different scopes trying to avoid that Prozac prescription! :)
One of which BeerHunter is graciously taking off my hands. :)

Not to mention, the Meprolight just looks bad-ass on the Tavor.
It says "Don't f**k with the person carrying it."

·
Registered
6,634 Posts
I can see I'm going to have to up my banter game. :)
You don’t “have” to but, .................

·
Super Moderator
28,405 Posts
Have to work this Friday but may be up for a range trip Saturday or Sunday, if anyone else is. :unsure:

Reactions: racer88

·
Registered
12,019 Posts
Discussion Starter #89
Have to work this Friday but may be up for a range trip Saturday or Sunday, if anyone else is. :unsure:
I might be up for one day. You pick! Hey... I think I'm seeing you tomorrow!

Reactions: BeerHunter

·
Registered
6,634 Posts
Will have to check my schedule and get back to you...

·
Registered
2,664 Posts
Will have to check my schedule and get back to you...

Lmfao...... little boy with mile-long Honey-Do list no have leisure time.

Lmfao...... little boy need permission to play "bang-bang" with his friends. :rolleyes:

(banter practice)

·
Registered
12,019 Posts
Discussion Starter #92 (Edited)
Met up with Caleb, BeerHunter, and Anduril today at the FWC range. It was HOT! The range was also BUSY! Wow.. the busiest I've seen it. We started at the 100 yard range. Well they did, and I sat it out. The other guys needed to get sighted in, and Anduril need to get "qualified" to go to the longer rifle ranges. He passed. :) I went over to the 200 yard range a bit before they wrapped it up at the 100 yard range.

I hadn't been to the range in 7 weeks, and I had not fired my RPR 6.5 CM in over 2 months. I shot pretty well, especially considering the shooter to my left was banging on his rifle and shaking the benches. The benches are all braced with together. So, vibrations created on one bench, get transmitted to benches down the line. It's a REALLY STUPID design.

This ******er****er on my left was apparently having trouble with the bolt on his rifle and was hammering on it with his metal staple gun. Making my sight picture look like a 6.5 Richter Scale quake. No kidding. Not just once... or twice... or three times... but over and over. I gave him some dirty looks, but refrained from saying anything. Finally, I just gave up and packed up.

Anyway... my best group... from the Ruger Precision OEM Hannukah barrel that never burns out and keeps on shooting. I've got 3950 rounds through the barrel... WAY past it's normal "life." And, it can still do this. Sub-1/3-MOA, baby! The other four groups were all sub-MOA on this target, which was my first target. They got progressively worse with the nimrod to my left increasing his "gunsmithing" efforts.

Then we went to the pistol range for a little while. BeerHunter brought his brand new Umberti (sp?) single action revolver in .45-Colt Long. It's GORGEOUS with the case-hardened steel frame. Of course, now I want one!

I forgot to get a pic of the gun outside the holster. I'm sure BH will post one.

Fun day! Of course, we had lunch afterwards.

PS... everyone wore their G-Shock watches! Forgot to get a pic of that, too.

·
Registered
2,664 Posts
And don't forget a stovepipe or two.
Racer can be sensitive to recoil sometimes. (It's a 32 Auto). :)

Great time today; hot, but a late rain shower to cool things off a bit.
And we cooled off the rest with a couple beers afterwards.

PBSSC is a nice outdoor range; I really like it.
The Range Officers treat you with respect, and they keep a sharp eye out for newbie mistakes, etc..
I did manage to qualify at 100 Yards with the .338 LM. I spent most of the day there checking out the Meprolight on the Tavor (really like that !!!), but felt I would have trouble qualifying with it at 100. Kind of a waste of .338 ammo just to qualify at 100, but it's done. (Note to Caleb: All three rounds in practically the same hole, with two overlapping!) :p

I had to force myself to fire just one round out of BeerHunter's 45 Long so as not to trigger "the urge".
I have enough expensive hobbies at the moment.
Nice weapon, though, and I can see why he likes it! (y)

Also, we took a vote and agreed that Racer DOES NOT in fact need another watch, so check eBay early and often. :)
Although on that front, I wanted to bring my optically bold, and brightly-colored aquamarine / Robin's-egg blue Casio but the damn battery died - and it's a solar G-Shock. What the....

·
Registered
12,019 Posts
Discussion Starter #94
Racer can be sensitive to recoil sometimes. (It's a 32 Auto). :)
Also, we took a vote and agreed that Racer DOES NOT in fact need another watch, so check eBay early and often.
LOL! Yeah... I've never seen a live round stove-pipe. It takes a special kind of limp-wristing to do that! Didn't you get a close-up photo of that, too?

Was good seeing everyone! Was nice to be shooting again. I needed the break from perusing watches on Amazon and Ebay! 🤪 I gotta stop spending money on watches and save up for some guns like the revolver that BH brought. That thing was SWEET! Now I want that AND the Colt Python. I think that would be a nice pairing!

·
Registered
6,634 Posts
It was hot! But it did cool off a bit after the rain. I brought my 300 blackout pistol I built 1.5 years ago and never fired. No issues at all and the recoil is mild. Got my red dot sighted in at 50 as well as the buis. Didn’t shoot a lot but, it was fun. We moved on to the pistol range and I brought three surplus pistols. 1. 1927 VZ27, 2. VZ 50, and 3. Beretta 81.

All three are chambered in .32 auto (so I thought) the VZ27 is definitely not .32! The barrel swallows the round so, I’m thinking it’s a .380 although the place I bought it from days it’s a .32.

The VZ50 would not chamber the flat nose .32 auto I brought so, couldn’t shoot that one either.

The only pistol that I/we shot was the Beretta 81. This would be a great beginners pistol as it has no felt recoil at all! (That’s exaggerated but you get the point) I had zero malfunctions and neither did Beerhunter. Apparently, Racer limp wristed it and caused a live round stovepipe! Lol.... I guess the recoil was too much for his Nancy hands.

Lunch was great as usual and I finally received a custom Anduril chamber flag! Thanks bro.

Beer hunters new acquisition is amazing and so much fun to shoot! I want one. Dammit.

·
Registered
12,019 Posts
Discussion Starter #96
Apparently, Racer limp wristed it and caused a live round stovepipe! Lol.... I guess the recoil was too much for his Nancy hands.
LOL! I did it on purpose!

Piece-o-crap pistol! ;) :whistle:

·
Registered
2,664 Posts
I wonder if the barrel is so worn out it's not a .32 anymore?
Sort of like a "6.56 Creedmoor"? :)

·
Registered
6,634 Posts
Should of tried one of those 338s in there. Lol.

·
Registered
12,019 Posts
Discussion Starter #99
Ran all my targets through OnTarget. Turns out all my groups were sub-MOA. Not bad, considering the idiot bumping my bench through it all.

The center target on this one demonstrates why 3-shot groups mean nothing. Otherwise, I could claim, "LOOK! I'm a 0.184-MOA shooter!" "My rifle is a sub-1/4-MOA rig!"

Heck... SIX out of fourteen groups were in the 1/2-MOA range. ALL of them sub-MOA. One sub-1/3-MOA. Not bad! And, this rifle has nearly 4,000 rounds through the OEM barrel! And, I'm old! 🤪

·
Registered
6,634 Posts
Crazy to think you’ve shot that many rounds of that “barrel destroying “ caliber and still getting multiple sub MOA groups. That’s awesome. Nice to see you haven’t lost your fundamentals after suck a long hiatus.

Reactions: racer88
81 - 100 of 107 Posts