Florida Concealed Carry banner

81 - 91 of 91 Posts

·
Registered
5,950 Posts
Get yer a$$ qualified, so you can shoot with us on the big boy range. ;)
Lmfao...... little boy with big gun no is qualified.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,029 Posts
We found out one of the reasons for this is, IMHO. According to the RSO at the 50/100 yard range, they [currently] don't allow .223/5.56 or higher caliber rifles on the 25/50 yard "rifle" range; they allow pistol caliber carbines only. . .WTH? I say currently because that RSO said he was trying to get that changed. So apparently, people that have minimal knowledge and experience sighting in a rifle period, much less an AR platform rifle, come to the range and can only sight in an AR on the 50/100 yard range. That should be ok for people that know what they're doing and sighting in typical long range rifles by even "bore sighting" visually should get one on paper. However, a lot of people that don't really know how to sight in a rifle period buy an AR platform rifle with no iron sights at all and slap an optic on it thinking they'll be close, but often aren't and can understand why! Even those that do have factory irons, unless they've done their homework and know how to achieve "mechanical zero" on an AR rifle, they'll still have a hard time. Finally, even if one knows what they're doing and wants to sight in a 5.56 caliber AR for a "first zero" of 25 yards, apparently they can't right now at this facility.
THIS.......has been a real problem at our martin county range too. Mostly by new AR shooters who do know anything about the rifle and and how to sight it in.....baffles being hit constantly......zeroing MUST be done on the 25 yd zeroing section on the 50yd line. Plus we got rid of the wood baffles for angled steel......nothing between those and the 50 and 100 yd lines.......

·
Registered
5,029 Posts
Concur with everything racer points out here, and I've had three more trips around the Sun than he! 🤠
I agree with both of you on that......falling behind on my prone body work......benches have angles you just cant remove and i find myself constantly trying to position myself and the rifle in the best position possible but find myself constantly having to readjust the rifle following a shot. Prone you can get straighter angles.....a good reminder for me to keep working on by extension exercises (y)

·
Registered
10,920 Posts
Discussion Starter #84
zeroing MUST be done on the 25 yd zeroing section on the 50yd line.
I have always been able to bore-sight on the 100 yard range - and get on paper with the first shot. It's really not that hard. And, there are tons of Youtube videos on how to do it.

I think the problem is that these newbies don't even know that a rifle (optic or iron sights) has to be zeroed AT ALL. They don't even know what it means. They think that you can just bolt an optic to a rifle, and it's ready to go. Literally. Bolt it on and "you can't miss."

To wit... if I "show off" some of my longer distance targets (or more likely my daughter's!), the average layperson will say, "Well, yeah.... you have a scope, so... (you can't miss)." They think a scope is magical.

The problem isn't the distance (for zeroing). The problem is the complete absence of knowledge of the concept.

·
Registered
2,136 Posts
Get yer a$$ qualified, so you can shoot with us on the big boy range. ;)
Next time we go. Promise.

I finally closed the chapter on that little "bi-polar" disorder with the Tavor.
I removed the Primary Arms 4x-14x scope (w/ACSS reticle) and installed a Meprolight M21 red dot with the triangle reticle.
I already feel so much better about that decision!! Haven't even shot with it yet.

Put simply: The Tavor is not a 200 or 300 yard weapon.
Not that it can't do it, but at 200 yards you don't really "need" a bullpup platform to get there.

So next time, I'll definitely be on the 100 yard range with the revised Tavor setup, but then I'll either qualify with that at 100, or bring the RPR.
Really psyched to shoot with the Meprolight. Should have got one years ago - and could have saved the money I plopped down on (3) different scopes trying to avoid that Prozac prescription! :)
One of which BeerHunter is graciously taking off my hands. :)

Not to mention, the Meprolight just looks bad-ass on the Tavor.
It says "Don't f**k with the person carrying it."

·
Registered
5,950 Posts
I can see I'm going to have to up my banter game. :)
You don’t “have” to but, .................

·
Super Moderator
26,574 Posts
Have to work this Friday but may be up for a range trip Saturday or Sunday, if anyone else is. :unsure:

Reactions: racer88

·
Registered
10,920 Posts
Discussion Starter #89
Have to work this Friday but may be up for a range trip Saturday or Sunday, if anyone else is. :unsure:
I might be up for one day. You pick! Hey... I think I'm seeing you tomorrow!

Reactions: BeerHunter

·
Registered
5,950 Posts
Will have to check my schedule and get back to you...

·
Registered
2,136 Posts
Will have to check my schedule and get back to you...

Lmfao...... little boy with mile-long Honey-Do list no have leisure time.

Lmfao...... little boy need permission to play "bang-bang" with his friends. :rolleyes:

(banter practice)

81 - 91 of 91 Posts