Florida Concealed Carry banner

61 - 80 of 91 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #62

Registered
Discussion Starter #63
Another HOT day at the range. We timed it perfectly, though... literally, as we got in the car to leave, the rain hit.

Both of us are still not used to (nor like) the benches (vs shooting prone). But, it is what it is. My girl still shot fairly well with the AR-15 today.

Registered
Discussion Starter #64 (Edited)
So, here is how I'm adapting to bench shooting. Added some "accessories" to make things easier.

The brass deflector and "Billy towel" make "policing my brass" SOOOOO much easier. Otherwise, it gets thrown out onto the concrete floor, bouncing and spreading all over the place. And the range has these SILLY little "brass rakes" that work so poorly, you're better off kneeling down and picking it up by hand. But, that sucks, too. With my "system," I just fold up the towel and funnel the brass into the bucket or into a ziploc, if I'm taking it home.

The "Billy Towel" (Brownell's) is a towel with a sand-filled inner tube bordering it on 3 sides. Nifty! The innertube is removable for washing the towel. The weighted innertube provides a lip around the towel and keeps it from blowing away in wind.

The ratchet strap works well to give you something against which to load your bipod. Otherwise, the rubber bipod feet slide all over the smooth wood bench surface. The yoga mat also prevents the rifle from sliding around.

PS... I've got an extra ratchet strap saved for ya, Caleb. I bought a pack of four. Anduril and BH got theirs. If you ever come shooting again :p, you've got one waiting for you.

Super Moderator
Liked that Billy Towel concept when you showed it to me last weekend and may just make one out of the spare inner-tube and towels I have on hand. (y)

Registered
Discussion Starter #66
Oh... another interesting thing happened at the 200 yard range. There was no RSO. It was a relatively small group... maybe 5 - 6 shooters at the peak... managed the hot / cold range ourselves.

Registered

Both of us are still not used to (nor like) the benches (vs shooting prone). But, it is what it is....
Myself, I prefer bench to prone. But, I鈥檓 old. Getting up and down off the ground isn鈥檛 a pleasurable experience anymore. In fact, I get down there and the fire department might be required to get me back. :LOL:

Registered
Discussion Starter #68
Myself, I prefer bench to prone. But, I鈥檓 old. Getting up and down off the ground isn鈥檛 a pleasurable experience anymore. In fact, I get down there and the fire department might be required to get me back. :LOL:
I'm not young (57), but I find prone MUCH more comfortable than the bench. The bench forces you into a very specific position. There's no adjusting anything other than the seat height (and that's limited). The bench is fixed and cannot be adjusted for body size, shape, or type. Prone allows you to position yourself. Huge difference.

Reactions: BeerHunter

Super Moderator
I'm not young (57), but I find prone MUCH more comfortable than the bench. The bench forces you into a very specific position. There's no adjusting anything other than the seat height (and that's limited). The bench is fixed and cannot be adjusted for body size, shape, or type. Prone allows you to position yourself. Huge difference.
Concur with everything racer points out here, and I've had three more trips around the Sun than he! 馃

Registered
Discussion Starter #70
Granted there are certain body types that preclude prone shooting. :censored:

Reactions: BeerHunter

Registered
Concur with everything racer points out here, and I've had three more trips around the Sun than he! 馃

I鈥榤 of about the same Vintage as you guys then. :LOL:

I鈥檒l agree with you racer. It鈥檚 easier and more efficient to get set up prone. I just can鈥檛 do it anymore. I can鈥檛 do it Well anyway. I have a back condition that causes me to make embarrassing sounds when I try to get up or down that low. :(

Registered
Discussion Starter #72
I have a back condition that causes me to make embarrassing sounds when I try to get up or down that low. :(
Ha! I make noises going down and getting up! But, I still prefer it.

Reactions: RadTek

Registered
Anyone planning to go this weekend? (July 18-19)
My Meprolight won't arrive until Sunday - had to switch vendors as first one turned out to be a flake.
But, I was thinking I might go up and at least qualify for the longer ranges.

I have a "Honey-do" list a mile long... and several of those entries are of my own doing.
But, I can always make time. :)

Well, almost always.

Registered
Discussion Starter #74
I'm going to lay low this weekend. I need a break.... and just do nothing.

Super Moderator
I'm involved with several household maintenance issues this weekend. So laying low, as well.

Registered
Yeah I鈥檓 tied up this weekend.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Super Moderator

Registered
Discussion Starter #79
Not feelin' loved right now.... :)
Pity party of one.
Get yer a$$ qualified, so you can shoot with us on the big boy range. ;)

Super Moderator
61 - 80 of 91 Posts