Florida Concealed Carry banner

21 - 40 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
10,714 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
BeerHunter sent out an "APB" text this morning about going to the range. I was free. Everyone else has a real job, so it was just the two of us.

BH needed to sight in 2 of his AR-15s. So, we went to the 50 / 100 yard range. I brought my SCAR-16 with the new PA 5X prism scope on it (that I sighted in last time).

BH finally got his new AR with the 1X Athlon red dot scope on it sighted in. I decided to take a look through it. WTF?? It's not 1X. It's more like 0.75X! It was like looking through binoculars backwards where everything is farther away. Weird! After I mentioned it, BH said he was wondering himself.

Later, I looked through the 1X scope he had on the other AR. THAT one was a true 1X. The size of the target looked the same through the scope as it did not looking through the scope. But, the Athlon "1X" was DEFINITELY less than 1X. Very strange.

I started off pretty decent, considering the SCAR isn't a precision rifle, and I was using regular ball ammo (XM193). But, as I shot more, I felt something was off. Then I realized that when I let the trigger reset, I could see a little jump / movement through the scope. I grabbed the scope in one hand... sure enough, it was wiggling a bit. It appears the the screws from the mount to the scope (from the factory) came loose. The screws that clamp the mount to the rail were tight (I torqued those myself). Lesson learned: Check the screws from the mount into the scope that were done at the factory. :)

That lower left group is pretty good!

Hmmm... something ain't right. Maybe the nut behind the trigger is fading? Or... maybe the scope is loose, but I don't know it, yet!

Part way through this target, I noticed the jiggle when the trigger reset.

It was good to get some impromptu trigger time... I wasn't planning on going to the range this weekend.

It was HOT. But, the shade and a light breeze made it tolerable. The range was pretty busy when we got there, but the crowd tapered off quickly as lunchtime approached. By the time we finished, there was only one other shooter left on the line.

·
Super Moderator
26,332 Posts
. . .
BH finally got his new AR with the 1X Athlon red dot scope on it sighted in. I decided to take a look through it. WTF?? It's not 1X. It's more like 0.75X! It was like looking through binoculars backwards where everything is farther away. Weird! After I mentioned it, BH said he was wondering himself.

Later, I looked through the 1X scope he had on the other AR. THAT one was a true 1X. The size of the target looked the same through the scope as it did not looking through the scope. But, the Athlon "1X" was DEFINITELY less than 1X. Very strange.
. . .
And before anyone asks, NO it wasn't actually mounted backwards! 🤣 However, this was my first trip to the range with this Athlon Midas BTR Prism PR11 "1X" optic and as I was looking through it at a real target for the first time, something just did't look quite right. At this range, the closest you can sight in 5.56x45 rifles is at 50 yards, but sight through the optic, the target appeared to be father away than 50 yards compared the view from other open eye. As soon as racer looked through it and confirmed it looked farther away, we agreed it must not a true "1X" optic. It doesn't make sense to either of us and I don't remember any mention of that when I read the manual cover to cover. I'll have to research this a little more. :unsure: Regardless, I continued to sight it both the irons and the optic and after a few adjustments, I was able to make consistent hits in the 2 in red bullseye. With this optic though, I doubt my old eyes could even see the target to verify the 50/200 MPBR. So I didn't even try. :(

·
Registered
10,714 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
With this optic though, I doubt my old eyes could even see the target to verify the 50/200 MPBR. So I didn't even try.
Hmmmm... me thinks you might need a Primary Arms 5X Prism ACSS scope! ;)

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
Hmmmm... me thinks you might need a Primary Arms 5X Prism ACSS scope! ;)
I have the earlier version, which I could part with since I do not use it.
I originally purchased it for the Tavor.

But then the bi-polar disorder set in....
The Tavor "needs" either a red dot, or just the iron sights (not a scope).

Your mileage may vary, if you own a similar platform. (?)

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
I should have taken off work and joined you guys today.
My day started out crappy (expensive computer printer broke at the house), and only got slightly worse as the day wore on.
Got nothing done at work.

·
Super Moderator
26,332 Posts
Sorry your day at work was bad, Anduril. The worst day at the range beats the best day at work, IMHO! ;)

·
Super Moderator
26,332 Posts
I have the earlier version, which I could part with since I do not use it.
I originally purchased it for the Tavor.

But then the bi-polar disorder set in....
The Tavor "needs" either a red dot, or just the iron sights (not a scope).

Your mileage may vary, if you own a similar platform. (?)
Send me a PM if you want to unload it. Maybe we can make a deal. :cool:

·
Super Moderator
26,332 Posts

·
Registered
10,714 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
BTW, it was fun getting together!

With all the stress of the times, I'm finding trigger time is quite therapeutic.

·
Registered
10,714 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Going back with my girl today. It will be her first time at this range. So, we'll get her qualified on the 100 yard range. I think she'll pass the test. 🤭

It's going to be hot! Oh well... will still be fun.

·
Registered
5,839 Posts
Going back with my girl today. It will be her first time at this range. So, we'll get her qualified on the 100 yard range. I think she'll pass the test.

It's going to be hot! Oh well... will still be fun.
Can’t wait to read how she out shot you again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
26,332 Posts

·
Registered
10,714 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
Can’t wait to read how she out shot you again.
Here is her "qualification" target. The qual is getting 3 out of 5 shots inside the OUTER ring. :)
The RSO said it's probably in the top 5 targets he's seen. 🤩

·
Registered
10,714 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
I plan on going there soon even if it’s just to go for a look see.
any idea what they do there on the days they are closed T/W/T?
or is this just during Covid? Planning to be open 7 days a week ever?
No idea, but if it's closed, I'm guessing the gate will be closed (no access). Even when they're open, they've got a guy at the entrance asking if you have an appointment. Also a big sign saying, "by appointment only." The appointment thing is supposedly just during COVID.

I don't know what their future plans are as far as their hours.

·
Registered
10,714 Posts
Discussion Starter #40 (Edited)
One of the "issues" I have found with shooting on a smooth wood bench is that you can't load the bipod. Even when I put down a rubber yoga mat (which helps prevent the gun from sliding all over the place), the bipod still can't be loaded.

So, I got a 9-foot tie-down strap. Worked a charm!

21 - 40 of 53 Posts