Florida Concealed Carry banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
10,694 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Figured I'd start a new thread (similar to the old PBSO range thread).

Today, my son and I went to the new range here in Palm Beach County. It was pretty warm out, but it sure is nice to shoot from a shaded shooting line!

BTW, they graded the dirt road, so it's BETTER. Still not very good, but MUCH better than 2 weeks ago, when the road appeared to have been pock-marked by a cluster-bomb.

The range was pretty busy. When we got there, the 100-yard rifle range was almost full. The pistol range looked busy too.

My son is still very much a novice. This was his 2nd time ever at 100 yards. We brought the precision AR-15 and the SCAR-16 today.

His AR-15 targets @ 100 yards

Did even better today with the new Primary Arms 5X Prism Scope.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
26,296 Posts
They allow XM855, cool! Some places won't.

·
Registered
10,694 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
They allow XM855, cool! Some places won't.
Hmmm... well... Maybe they don't. Nobody asked. Don't ask, don't tell. :geek:

I just went to their safety video (online), and it says no "armor piercing" ammo.

XM855 is NOT, by definition, armor-piercing. So, it shouldn't be an issue.

I used it, because I wanted to use a heavier bullet with the 1:7 twist SCAR-16.

·
Registered
5,828 Posts
Awesome! Excited about tomorrow, woohoo.

Your boy (not so boy anymore) shot great!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
10,694 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Awesome! Excited about tomorrow, woohoo.

Your boy (not so boy anymore) shot great!

Only his 2nd time at 100 yards. And, he tends to fire rapidly. I tell him, "Take your time," and he rolls his eyes and replies, "I AM!" LOL! He doesn't really care about small groups.

·
Super Moderator
26,296 Posts
Hmmm... well... Maybe they don't. Nobody asked. Don't ask, don't tell. :geek:

I just went to their safety video (online), and it says no "armor piercing" ammo.

View attachment 68377

XM855 is NOT, by definition, armor-piercing. So, it shouldn't be an issue.
View attachment 68378

I used it, because I wanted to use a heavier bullet with the 1:7 twist SCAR-16.
That's why I was careful NOT to call it armor piercing and you're correct, it does not meet the definition of "armor piercing" ammunition. A lot of places have mistakenly called it as such because XM855 has a 7 gr mild steel tip [often referred to in documentation as a "penetrator"] inside the nose of the full metal jacketed 62 gr projectile (55 gr + 7 gr) to give the projectile a different center of gravity. It's the misunderstanding of the purpose of that steel tip and their incorrect understanding of what makes a round "armor piercing" that confuses some people. I'm glad the FWC range didn't make any big deal about XM855 NATO ammo, which I see as a good sign they've got their schiznit in one sock! (y)

·
Registered
10,694 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
I'm glad the FWC range didn't make any big deal about XM855 NATO ammo, which I see as a good sign they've got their schiznit in one sock! (y)
Well... they don't check ammo, so. I can't say for sure whether they know the difference between ACTUAL armor piercing and steel-tipped.

Edit to add: FWIW, on the box of the XM855, it says "Full Metal Jacket."

·
Registered
10,694 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Had fun meeting up with Caleb and BeerHunter today. It was hot!

We started at the 100 yard range and were eventually kicked off, due to a line. But, we were able to get in enough rifle trigger time. From there we could move to either the 200 yard range or the 10 yard pistol range. Since Caleb wanted to try out his new Glock 43X, we went to the pistol range.

I made the mistake of trying Caleb's G43-X. Now I want one, dammit!

We got a few sessions (15-minute hot sessions) before we called it quits... time for lunch!

I didn't shoot great, but not bad. Got a few decent groups. Won't post it all... just my best of the day.

Rifle was the precision AR-15:

·
Registered
2,062 Posts
I should have joined you guys today.
As it was, I got NOTHING done today. (Or at least, none of the stuff I needed to get done!)

·
Registered
2,062 Posts
Well, the day is not over -- and as it turns out, I actually did get something accomplished today.
I finally closed the chapter on my "long overdue to be replaced" Weber outdoor BBQ grill.

I'm cooking some steaks outside.... dachshund dog salivating? Check! :)
(Smart little critter!!...)

I go inside to check on the rest of dinner.
Come back outside and the propane tank regulator is literally on fire!!
It's already cooked off the hoses, melted the stupid little battery-powered auto-ignite thingy (that never really worked), and now the big threaded knob that connects to the tank is on fire, melting and dripping down the neck of the propane tank. The unmistakable lovely smell of burning rubber and plastic is everywhere, including, I am sure, on the steaks....

Thankfully, I've had plenty of training in how to put out fires.

But now I've got a wet dachshund, an old soaking bath towel to be discarded, melted rubber, plastic and other goop on my patio, the bombed out remains of a BBQ grill... and an empty dinner plate.
And let's not forget I still have a damaged propane tank sitting in the yard that will need to find a permanent retirement home.

All in all... perfect way to end the day.

·
Registered
10,694 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well, the day is not over -- and as it turns out, I actually did get something accomplished today.
I finally closed the chapter on my "long overdue to be replaced" Weber outdoor BBQ grill.

I go inside to check on the rest of dinner.
Come back outside and the propane tank regulator is literally on fire!!
It's already cooked off the hoses, melted the stupid little battery-powered auto-ignite thingy (that never really worked), and now the big threaded knob that connects to the tank is on fire, melting and dripping down the neck of the propane tank. The unmistakable lovely smell of burning rubber and plastic is everywhere, including, I am sure, on the steaks....
Holy crap!

·
Registered
5,828 Posts
Did you invite pig over?

·
Super Moderator
26,296 Posts

·
Registered
10,694 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The range has been open for only 3 weeks, and already they've had baffle strikes at the 100 yard range. I simulated how far off I'd have to aim my rifle to hit a baffle... and I was BAFFLED at how anyone could be so far off! I got some photos and annotated and enhanced them. If you click the photo, it will open as a larger version.

Sh*t... both of these aren't just single strikes. They actually GROUPED a bunch of strikes! LOL!

·
Registered
5,053 Posts
I can snap pics of the holes in the floor at the indoor range I work at if you would like....

·
Super Moderator
26,296 Posts
We found out one of the reasons for this is, IMHO. According to the RSO at the 50/100 yard range, they [currently] don't allow .223/5.56 or higher caliber rifles on the 25/50 yard "rifle" range; they allow pistol caliber carbines only. . .WTH? I say currently because that RSO said he was trying to get that changed. So apparently, people that have minimal knowledge and experience sighting in a rifle period, much less an AR platform rifle, come to the range and can only sight in an AR on the 50/100 yard range. That should be ok for people that know what they're doing and sighting in typical long range rifles by even "bore sighting" visually should get one on paper. However, a lot of people that don't really know how to sight in a rifle period buy an AR platform rifle with no iron sights at all and slap an optic on it thinking they'll be close, but often aren't and can understand why! Even those that do have factory irons, unless they've done their homework and know how to achieve "mechanical zero" on an AR rifle, they'll still have a hard time. Finally, even if one knows what they're doing and wants to sight in a 5.56 caliber AR for a "first zero" of 25 yards, apparently they can't right now at this facility.

There was a guy at the lane next to me that had minimal experience and had never shot anything at a distance farther that 25 yards! Neither did his buddy he brought with him. We knew this because racer asked him. Thankfully they didn't seem to be hitting the baffles but they were there for over an hour and could only even hit the paper about half the time. Yikes!

·
Registered
10,694 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I can snap pics of the holes in the floor at the indoor range I work at if you would like....
Oh, I've seen the wild bullet holes at the indoor range. I've seen holes in the bench, ceiling, floor, walls. I've watched people miss the entire paper at 5 yards. BIG paper. I've seen guys miss the paper while using the magical laser, too.

But, this is with a rifle... on a bench.

·
Registered
10,694 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
However, a lot of people that don't really know how to sight in a rifle period buy an AR platform rifle with no iron sights at all and slap an optic on it thinking they'll be close, but often aren't and can understand why!
I think you just nailed the issue. They think that just bolting a scope to it will put them on the target.... just as they think putting a laser on a gun will make it so "you can't miss."

In the past, when I've posted a photo of a precision rifle target group, let's say at 300 yards, on social media.... those who don't know anything about it will dismiss the accomplishment by saying, "Well, you had a scope, so...." As if slapping a scope on a rifle will magically turn it into a weapon capable of "not missing" in anyone's hands. As if a scope can automagically turn anyone into a "super-sniper."

So, it stands to reason that new rifle owners, with zero background or training (and no attempt to self-teach) would make the same assumptions about scopes.

It's really not that hard. I'm effectively self-taught! Even a caveman can do it! 🥴

When I got my RPR 6.5CM, I first bore-sighted it in my back yard (at 50 yards). Yes.... not everyone has 50 yards available in their yard. 🙃 But, you could do it at 25 yards, even at the local indoor range, if you want. Then I went to the PBSO range and bore sighted it AGAIN at 100 yards. That put me on paper at 100 yards. Never even missed the paper in the process.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts