Florida Concealed Carry banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The 2nd Amendment CCW has a price !!!

I have purchased and tried a number of different weapons for CCW: Walther PPK/S (.380), Stoeger Cougar (9mm), Beretta 92FS (9mm), Bersa Thunder (380), and Bersa Ultra Compact (9mm). The goal was to find something that was effective (380 vs 9mm) and easy to carry.

Walther PPK/S (.380) - A beautiful weapon, but it would NOT feed Hollow point ammo - SOLD IT.

Beretta 92FS (9mm) - Not the easiest gun to carry concealed. With a horizontal Galco shoulder holster ($150), it looked like I was trying to hide a bazooka under my shirt. Had to buy verical Galco shoulder holster ($150).

Stoeger Cougar (9mm) - This is the same weapon as the Beretta Cougar. I absolutely love this gun, but it is a tad too big to hide in my pocket. It appears that the Beretta PX4 is modeled after this gun using polymer frame.

Bersa Thunder (380) - The PERFECT pocket gun. Only problem was multiple failures to feed. Sold it and bought the Bersa Thunder DeLuxe (380). I still have to take it to the range - I'm hoping for a good test without any FTF issues. I have been carrying it IWB at 4:00 and I forget it is there. Hopefully, a 380 with hollow points is as effective as a 9mm.

Bersa Ultra Compact (9mm) - This bad boy has had about 200 rounds put through it and I have NEVER had any problem whatsoever. It is just a tad heavy to carry IWB at 4:00, but it rides well in the Galco horizontal shoulder holster. I have as much confidence in this as I have in my Berettas.

The next issue that I have to address is the summer vs winter carry. I am learning that some of these weapons are simply not suitable for summertime carry, e.g. the 9mm Cougar and the 9mm Bersa.

To this end, I continually debate in my mind if I should look at at a KelTec 9mm PF9 for summertime pocket carry, but I have read some bad press about these guns, FTF, FTE, etc., etc.

For a summertime carry, I would like to have something small and light but the 9mm (Walther PPS, Kahr, etc.) all have a hefty price tag.

Oh well !!

·
Administrator
3,949 Posts
Hey Rhalsey, that sounds like a lot to through. I hope you'll be successful in the pursuit of the perfect carry weapon. All in all it's well worth it considering that the payoff may save your life. I myself chose one proven platform and stuck with it. The problem I have now is I see other guns that I want just because they're beautiful to behold. So I guess that one way or another we are going to spend alot of money on CCW gear.

·
Registered
2,083 Posts
I guess I'm fairly lucky, in that the first weapon I bought for carry and competition is going to be the one I stick with for a while. Granted, there is a recall (Ruger SR9), but I'm getting a free mag out of the deal, so I hope not to be put out too much.

I dress the same summer or winter, even in FL...the only change I may make is a light jacket in the winter. Otherwise, I almost always wear jeans and an untucked shirt. Summer/winter carry options are therefore the same for me.

I got lucky in that I was happy with my gun after I bought it, in function, concealability, and comfort. I was also lucky in that the holster I bought (Crossbreed Supertuck) took none of that away.

-JT

·
Registered
63 Posts
Concealed weapons.

I carry either a S&W 642 in a pocket holster in my cargo shorts or a S&W 9ve in a shoulder rig with an untucked shirt. All depends on how you dress here in the hot weather. Stay Safe.

·
Super Moderator
5,538 Posts
Well i have been only carrying around the house and property(waiting for my License) and i have a Taurus PT111 pro 3rd gen and i have heard all the negatives about Taurus but i have 1100 rds through mine no FTFs no FTEs took awhile to get used to the heinie sights but im gonna change them soon PT 111 pro is light in weight fires dead on slimmer then an XD9sc i like the life time waranty they have fits my hands good now i hve fired the XD9sc shoots dead on heavier then my PT111,Glock 19 love the feel in my hands light but i feel its bulky S&W M&P 9mm Great feel light shoots great. my cousin just got Glock 26 i'll be checkin that out soon.I also am a member of Taurus armed net and i have read more pros then cons i'm sure some people dont like Taurus well we all like and dislike something for some reason and i respect that and will never down talk anyone for what they like and dislike just like the car you've driven you didnt like and the car you liked and raved about i guess its like that with everything we have come across in our lives.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Economics cont'd

Well, I knew it would take some time (& $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$) - because CCW is not like going to the range and calling "TIME OUT" if I have a problem.

I want a weapon that is utterly DEPENDABLE & EFFECTIVE and some of mine are that - the Beretta 92fs, the Stoeger (Beretta) Cougar, and the Bersa 9mm Ultra Compact are all that. It is just that I have since discovered that my "beach living" attire of T-shirts and cargo pocket shorts have limitations when it comes to CCW. The Bersa Thunder 380 is a VERY GOOD pocket gun - if a .380 is effective. Therein lies the dilemma for CCW.

I also have an Airweight S&W .38 Spcl I could carry, but reloading is nowhere near as fast as a clip magazine for a semi-automatic pistol. Another little problem is that the Airweight is so small that a Speed Loader does NOT work properly - it jams up when I try to unload the shells into the cylinder.

At this point, I will probably carry the Bersa .380 as my my principal carry weapon (with 2 clips in one of my pockets) or the Bersa 9mm Ultra Compact (13 round capacity and 1 clip in a pocket) on those days when I think I can handle the discomfort using IWB at 4:00.

I really appreciate the feedback here - it reinforces many of the mental debates that I have from time to time.

So, thanks again everybody !!!

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The Taurus PT111

OBTW, my neighbor has a Taurus PT111 that we took to the range, and I like that gun. Not quite small enough for a pocket gun (IMHO), but it carries well IWB at 4:00 or small-of-back.

It feels good and it shoots good - hardly any recoil using 114g 9mm. The neighbor did say that field stripping was a bit of a challenge at first, but now he is getting used to it.

·
Administrator
3,949 Posts
At this point, I will probably carry the Bersa .380 as my my principal carry weapon (with 2 clips in one of my pockets) or the Bersa 9mm Ultra Compact (13 round capacity and 1 clip in a pocket) on those days when I think I can handle the discomfort using IWB at 4:00.
I did some research and found that the Glock19 and Bersa .380 weigh about the same (20 oz). I have comfortably carried IWB with cargo shorts. It all comes down to the holster you use.

Something like the MTAC holster

or the Crossbreed Supertuck.

Good Luck.

·
Super Moderator
5,538 Posts
OBTW, my neighbor has a Taurus PT111 that we took to the range, and I like that gun. Not quite small enough for a pocket gun (IMHO), but it carries well IWB at 4:00 or small-of-back.

It feels good and it shoots good - hardly any recoil using 114g 9mm. The neighbor did say that field stripping was a bit of a challenge at first, but now he is getting used to it.

See i have never found it hard to strip down i guess he had trouble removing that famous pin :laughing
just takes some working in after awhile its so simple.

·
Administrator
3,949 Posts
NKThats does look sharp man great pic!!!
I wish they were mine :( Their just stock pics.
However I do use this lovely D.M Bullard Dual Carry Conceal Holster. I love leather.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I did some research and found that the Glock19 and Bersa .380 weigh about the same (20 oz). I have comfortably carried IWB with cargo shorts. It all comes down to the holster you use.

+1 NK

My G19 and my infidel hide easily and it's very comfortable. The infidel holster wasn't too pricey and I don't mind the stiffness of the kydex.

·
Registered
196 Posts
The 2nd Amendment CCW has a price !!!

Bersa Ultra Compact (9mm) - This bad boy has had about 200 rounds put through it and I have NEVER had any problem whatsoever. It is just a tad heavy to carry IWB at 4:00, but it rides well in the Galco horizontal shoulder holster. I have as much confidence in this as I have in my Berettas.

The next issue that I have to address is the summer vs winter carry. I am learning that some of these weapons are simply not suitable for summertime carry, e.g. the 9mm Cougar and the 9mm Bersa.

Oh well !!
+1 on the Bersa T9UC.

I carry the T9 in a Crossbreed Supertuck all day. The Firearm is very reliable and feeds everything. Tthe Supertuck allows me to carry without discomfort in cargo shorts and an untucked polo.

·
Super Moderator
3,105 Posts
I guess part of the process is trying different carry weapons and holsters until you find out what you like best.

For what it's worth, after trying a couple of different variations, I find the Smith & Wesson 442 .38 snub nosed revolver in a Desantis Nemesis pocket holster to work great and a pleasure to carry.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Well, I'm already set for CCW. Ive got a Glock 30. Im going to try out a couple of holsters. One is an normal belt holster while the other is an In the Pants holster.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Very good. Have you got our permit yet? That does add to the cost of concealed carry.
Just ordered the application online. I dont live in FL yet, but will at the end of the year. Im gonna get the license prior to moving down there so I am set when I get down there.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
CZ Rami 9mm

I am now the proud owner of the CZ Rami 9mm (and my wife is hoping that this is enough <Ha>).

The CZ Rami is just a little smaller than my Bersa UC 9mm and it fits in my (cargo shorts) pocket just like it growed there. It also fits into my Galco Shoulder holster (which was originally for a Beretta 92FS !).

I expect to go to the gun range later this week and check it out for dependability - wish me luck !!!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts