Florida Concealed Carry banner

41 - 56 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
262 Posts
Depends on the type of riding you plan on doing. If you want nice and smooth highway, run from Harley. All that shaking gets old quickly. After being a bike mechanic for Kawi, and riding for 40yrs.,owning 30 or more bikes, I'd stick with sport touring now , preferably Jap. bikes. If you wanted fancy pants, maybe BMW, Ducatis sound like someone shaking a bucket of marbles around for an engine.

·
Registered
20,265 Posts
glad you asked yet?....

sport bikes aren't anything special in the handling department until you ride them at high speeds where their benefits become real...before that they just look cool...

ive been the gamut from standards to sport to sport touring (another concours fan and previous owner here) to Harley cruiser (heavily modified fatboy and the reason many Harley riders don't trust the front brakes is because they suck) and found my true love on the bike I spent the least amount on....a 99 team green zrx1100...when I got on it I finally remembered why I loved riding so much...its a standard ujm that provides everything I need including all day comfort, easy maneuverability, power to spare, conversations everywhere it goes along with ease of maintenance and repair....and i'm not sitting on my balls...

what it boils down to is personal preference and nobodys idea of a perfect bike is going to agree with anybody elses...plain and simple....all the advice in the woprld isn't going to steer you in the right direction....only someone elses....once you get a good feel for riding and what kind of riding you want to do you may want a change...or you might be comfortable with where you are at...

if I can offer one piece of advice that trumps all others....don't give a flying fart what anybody else thinks of what you bought or what you've done to it....just make sure it works for you and youll be riding for the right reasons.....to please yourself....phukem...

I love the people who say "i cant believe you got rid of your Harley and ride that now."....theres an old saying....if I have to explain....

I disagree with the Harley comparison to flintlock pistols also....I would place them closer to the 1911....old school thinking that functions well in modern times and steeped in tradition....and a bunch of owners who think its the only way to go while the rest of the world is passing them by...

the difference today is the company that used to build 17,000 bikes a year has had production up as high as 300.000 bikes a year taking them from dead last to second only to Honda for sales....tradition and uniqueness are out the door....everyone builds one today....

Attachments

·
Registered
20,265 Posts
Depends on the type of riding you plan on doing. If you want nice and smooth highway, run from Harley. All that shaking gets old quickly. After being a bike mechanic for Kawi, and riding for 40yrs.,owning 30 or more bikes, I'd stick with sport touring now , preferably Jap. bikes. If you wanted fancy pants, maybe BMW, Ducatis sound like someone shaking a bucket of marbles around for an engine.
Harleys don't shake anymore...they are balanced engines and smooth as they come....even unbalanced they aren't a hard bike to ride distance,....I rode my unbalanced solid mount 720 miles in one day in the cold rain....riding is riding and different people take differently to it....there is no cookie cutter....

·
Registered
12,975 Posts
Harleys don't shake anymore...they are balanced engines and smooth as they come....even unbalanced they aren't a hard bike to ride distance,....I rode my unbalanced solid mount 720 miles in one day in the cold rain....riding is riding and different people take differently to it....there is no cookie cutter....
Yep, they've evolved. I rode a Suzuki Gs1100 with the Katana bodywork from N.Va to the top of Newfoundland and back. Buzzing isn't better than shaking. The rubber mounted RGlide was a pleasure long distance and the frame mounted fairing worked well at speed. Made several long days in the saddle, older than I was when I had the GS, I'd take the Harley for anything but pure acceleration . :thumsup

image.jpg

Yep Brownie, Marine Corps Flag on the antenna, Blue Ridge Pkway in NC.

·
Registered
4,639 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
glad you asked yet?....

....just make sure it works for you and youll be riding for the right reasons.....to please yourself....phukem...

Can never have too much information. :rofl And, 100% on the "ride to please yourself" department. But, being relatively new at this, I like to look at other people's opinions and experience. Might lead me to consider something I had not thought of. :thumsup

Just above, MDPC suggested I take a look at a 1200. I sat on one at the dealer, but didn't give it a thought. I'll take a second look at it, and compare it to the Low Rider.

Thanks all for your input.

·
Registered
54,306 Posts
Yep, they've evolved. I rode a Suzuki Gs1100 with the Katana bodywork from N.Va to the top of Newfoundland and back. Buzzing isn't better than shaking. The rubber mounted RGlide was a pleasure long distance and the frame mounted fairing worked well at speed. Made several long days in the saddle, older than I was when I had the GS, I'd take the Harley for anything but pure acceleration . :thumsup

View attachment 21845

:thumsup

·
Registered
5,903 Posts
This might be a different option to consider.
I saw this at the gun range today it looks like a knockoff of the Spyder.

Sent from my  iPhone 6 plus and posted via Tapatalk.
The slingshot has been around for some time now. Some people swear by it. I'm not a bike guy so i really don't know much.

·
Registered
20,265 Posts
The Zrx from Kawi is a great bike.
a perfect combination of my kz1000 and a little more modern tech without being too much....easy to work on...good part availability and fun to ride...

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
I have the most built kaw concours 1000 ever built.I built a custom block and brought it out to 1109cc's. It has won "best engineered concours" 2x at the COG national, and I only competed it those two times. Now I just put it there for display because no other bike can actually compete with it. It runs and handles like a zrx but has full fairing and bags, i know the whole zx line pretty well, and I'm the technical editor for the concours Owners Group.

I think this is a very viable alternative - the kaw versys 1000. 1043cc's, it's the new rex with bags and a fairing. Sits upright. lots to like... http://www.kawasaki.com/Products/2015-VERSYS-1000-LT

·
Registered
4,639 Posts
Discussion Starter #52
I have the most built kaw concours 1000 ever built.I built a custom block and brought it out to 1109cc's. It has won "best engineered concours" 2x at the COG national, and I only competed it those two times. Now I just put it there for display because no other bike can actually compete with it. It runs and handles like a zrx but has full fairing and bags, i know the whole zx line pretty well, and I'm the technical editor for the concours Owners Group.

I think this is a very viable alternative - the kaw versys 1000. 1043cc's, it's the new rex with bags and a fairing. Sits upright. lots to like... http://www.kawasaki.com/Products/2015-VERSYS-1000-LT
Right now I can't get away for days at a time. In 3 - 4 years, I think that work and family obligations will reach a level where I will be able to get away on tours. I plan to start with a guided tour or two (Eagle Rider,etc.). If I find it is something I enjoy, a Tourer will be in the cards. The Versys 1000 is among a handful of top contenders.

·
Registered
3,918 Posts
Because I am vertically challenged. The Low Rider and Street Bob come with mid-controls. They have more of a standard riding position. I can't get comfortable with the forward controls that come with most other Harleys.
Had a Street Bob, freaking hated it. Sold it in 6 months, bought a Street Glide and wow, 10 times more fun to ride, way lower center of gravity and just way more fun to corner with and ride.

·
Registered
8,634 Posts

View attachment 21845

:thumsup

·
Registered
4,321 Posts
The slingshot has been around for some time now. Some people swear by it. I'm not a bike guy so i really don't know much.
Saw one yesterday....thought it was a boat on wheels until my angle improved....

·
Registered
20,265 Posts

I remember the concours pics you posted in a past thread....very cool stuff....

the versys is sharp but too futuristic for my old taste....

41 - 56 of 56 Posts