Discussion Starter · #1 ·

The buried (pun intended) lead is the 4th from last paragraph

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
31,887 Posts

The buried (pun intended) lead is the 4th from last paragraph

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk
"The whole smart gun argument ignores the most common way guns are used to kill in the US—suicide by the person who bought the gun," Daniel Webster, director of the Johns Hopkins Center for Gun Policy and Research, told AFP in a statement.
Indeed! :unsure:

·
Registered
15,538 Posts
Old news. They tried this already several years ago. It was a big flop... of course.

Would anyone buy a parachute that required a fingerprint ID to work?
Well... there ya go. This concept is equally idiotic.

They tried to force it on us before. Again, this is NOT news. New Jersey and California tried to mandate smart guns. It didn't work.

But, it's fun watching them piss into the wind.

From a practical standpoint, there are probably close to a billion non-smart guns in private hands right now. Yeah... I'm saying a billion. The oft-quoted 300 - 400 million is WAY off. Way low.

Here's how I know it's way low. Just look at the NICS checks since 1998. We're already past 400 million right now. That's 411.5 million background checks since 1998, to be precise, as of last month.

So, to suggest there are 400 million guns in private hands TOTAL, right now... would be to assume there were virtually ZERO guns in private hands before 1998. Of course, that's ridiculous.

My bet is that the true number is at least double the oft-cited 400 million figure. As we all know, guns are a durable good. They can last and keep working for 100 years. Literally.

And they can't mandate retrofitting all the existing guns.

Smart guns ain't happenin', folks.

·
Super Moderator
31,887 Posts
^^^^
This precisely! 👍👍

Reactions: joecarry

·
Registered
15,538 Posts
For years the US gov has claimed that there are 300 million guns in the us, the BS number never go's up they must vanish like gost guns at the end of the year.
Lately, the popular number cited is 400 million. Even gun magazines and organizations use the 400M number. It's preposterously low. It's at least double that.

Here ya go... from Guns-dot-com:
Data: US has 434 Million Guns, 20M ARs, 150M Mags

The 150M "high capacity" mags is an even bigger joke! It's more likely closer to AT LEAST a BILLION. Most gun mags are "high capacity" if the definition is 10 rounds. If most pistols come with TWO mags, and most of them are over 10 rounds, well.... do the math. And, that's if NOBODY purchased extra mags.

My measly collection is about 150 mags (for various firearms). That's just ME, and I'm small potatoes. My estimate of 1B magazines is probably low.

If you assigned the "150M mags" ONLY to the "20M ARs", it would be 7-1/2 mags per AR-15. I submit that most AR-15 owners have more than 7 mags JUST for THAT rifle. But, I think it's safe to say that most certainly have at least 2 - 4 mags. Let's say three as a conservative estimate. So, 3 mags per AR is 60 million mags. That leaves 90 million mags for the other 374 million guns, if we're to believe their numbers. Its not even conceivable to suggest the majority of magazines are 10-rounders. ALL of my guns' STANDARD capacity magazines are greater than 10 rounds except my small / subcompact guns like the G27, SR22, and Colt Pony (.380).

The numbers being cited are laughable.

·
Registered
11,407 Posts
The notion that so-called "smart" guns will protect children is laughable. The kind of person who won't even utilize a low-tech device such as a gun lock or safe to prevent children and unauthorized individuals from accessing their firearms is even less likely to spend big bucks on a smart gun.

·
Registered
4,592 Posts
The notion that so-called "smart" guns will protect children is laughable. The kind of person who won't even utilize a low-tech device such as a gun lock or safe to prevent children and unauthorized individuals from accessing their firearms is even less likely to spend big bucks on a smart gun.
People spend money on "smart water".

Bottle Liquid Bottle cap Fluid Plastic bottle

·
Registered
10,081 Posts
The electronics tech in me looks at this the same way I look at all the fancy electronics in new cars, "great, something that will break"
I'll be keeping my analog guns
Well, truth be told; all that stuff holds up pretty well.
Back in the 2013-2014 era; our Dodge Chargers got software updates pretty much every oil change (at no cost).
Our newer vehicles, a 2019 Charger and a 2020 Ram Laramie, which are loaded with all sorts of electronic features, have had no trouble at all, and no “updates.” We never had any problems with the earlier generations of onboard electronics either.

I used to think that same way; more fancy stuff means more stuff to break. Thankfully, that hasn’t been the case. Now, we’ve been Mopar folks since 1987, so I can’t speak to the reliability of other brand’s electronics.

As far as ever using a “smart gun;” no way, no how! 😡

Reactions: BeerHunter

·
Registered
7,471 Posts
The electronics tech in me looks at this the same way I look at all the fancy electronics in new cars, "great, something that will break"
I'll be keeping my analog guns
For the same reason I’d never buy a S&W with a trigger lock….and that’s mechanical not electrical. Nope won’t own one. (n)

Reactions: artemis

·
Registered
2,043 Posts
It just took four minutes to access my "Smart Phone" with my fingerprint. It failed to recognize me about a dozen times and instituted a waiting time.
Geoff
Who is not interested in anything that imprecise.

·
Registered
15,538 Posts
It just took four minutes to access my "Smart Phone" with my fingerprint. It failed to recognize me about a dozen times and instituted a waiting time.
Geoff
Yep. That's why I didn't get the biometric / fingerprint option on my new quick-access safe. Even the BEST readers are finicky. And, it was an extra $100.

Reactions: Marilyn

·
Registered
165 Posts
Geoff
Agreed. Depending on age, some people have fingerprints that are worn and can’t easily be read. Men and women also can differ in fingerprint readability. There are quite a number of cases where women’s fingerprints didn’t meet the clarity standard desired for the FL CCW application, if you look at the Licensing threads. I‘d never buy anything operated mainly by a fingerprint reader.

·
Registered
10,504 Posts
The greatest used technology is the technology used to defeat technology!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts