Florida Concealed Carry banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
Having just returned from Scott Jedlinski's red dot class, I'm sold on this one. It has a practical application for every skill set I practice/train for. Close-up, distance, precision, point shooting, speed, etc., the whole deal. I will shamelessly give it a plug:

·
Registered
57,035 Posts
It's been my experience, people have a hard enough time hitting COM under duress. It's also been my experience that one can practice placing perfect shots on a static target as shown in the vid and it all goes out the window when the pucker factor hits 10.

COM, my steel plates are the size of an average mans chest, placed at the height of a mans chest on a single stand. Ring the steel you've got your COM shot.

And lets not forget about Fairbairn's observations documenting over 600 gun fights in Shanghai in the 30's, that people hit in the lower abdomen tended to drop what they were holding. As I've mentioned in my courses from time to time, throw an errant round into a shoulder on someone's course of fire and you're admonished for it. In the real world, a hit to the weapon carrying shoulder of the opponent [ an errant shot when looking for COM ] and that admonishment turns to a win on the streets most times [ when they can't hold a weapon in that hand any longer ].

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
And lets not forget about Fairbairn's observations documenting over 600 gun fights in Shanghai in the 30's, that people hit in the lower abdomen tended to drop what they were holding. As I've mentioned in my courses from time to time, throw an errant round into a shoulder on someone's course of fire and you're admonished for it. In the real world, a hit to the weapon carrying shoulder of the opponent [ an errant shot when looking for COM ] and that admonishment turns to a win on the streets most times [ when they can't hold a weapon in that hand any longer ].
Taking things a bit off-topic for just a moment, but it bears note, IMO--

I've trained with a fair number of instructors over the years, and the ones that stand head and shoulders over the others all share several qualities, you included. One quality that really stands out is the lack of admonishment for all mishaps and miscues not safety-related. Students can screw up by the numbers, yet the corrections always remain positive and instructive. OTOH, the wannabes are the ones who can watch ongoing misses and offer nothing more than a criticism for not checking 360 or having one's feet in exactly the prescribed position, and counter any questions of technique or methodology with my-way-or-the-highway assholery.

·
Registered
165 Posts
On Topic:
The mind is the limiting factor (brownie)

Watched the video. I've shot at round steel plates of various sizes, various types of silhouettes, approved IDPA targets, shoot and see glow in the dark stuff.... You name it, I've put holes in it or splashed against it, for the most part.

I don't think the target you shoot at matters, unless it's shooting back at you. He started to get to that at the tail end of the video.

It's one of the reasons the modern day corps takes 2-2 1/2 years of training before they send infantry out the door. Warrior mindset, and lots of fired rounds in training conditions that becomes as realistic as they can make it, and even then there's no guarantee of success.

And my definition of success is that the target is dead and the soldier is alive.

We have all seen recent accounts of heroes and villains in the US, soldiers in the Ukraine winning and losing.

I don't think the practice target one uses is the key to success.

·
Registered
57,035 Posts
On Topic:

Watched the video. I've shot at round steel plates of various sizes, various types of silhouettes, approved IDPA targets, shoot and see glow in the dark stuff.... You name it, I've put holes in it or splashed against it, for the most part.

I don't think the target you shoot at matters, unless it's shooting back at you. He started to get to that at the tail end of the video.

It's one of the reasons the modern day corps takes 2-2 1/2 years of training before they send infantry out the door. Warrior mindset, and lots of fired rounds in training conditions that becomes as realistic as they can make it, and even then there's no guarantee of success.

And my definition of success is that the target is dead and the soldier is alive.

We have all seen recent accounts of heroes and villains in the US, soldiers in the Ukraine winning and losing.

The key to success when there's gun play is being fast to engage and COM accurate, not what targets you practiced on at the range. Wanna be fast and accurate, get into some plate matches. 6 head shots at 33 feet. When you can run 6 of them in 4 seconds including the draw stroke from surrender position, you're fast and accurate.

Defenders start at a disadvantage, making up that deficit is paramount to staying above ground

·
Registered
165 Posts
The key to success when there's gun play is being fast to engage and COM accurate, not what targets you practiced on at the range. Wanna be fast and accurate, get into some plate matches. 6 head shots at 33 feet. When you can run 6 of them in 4 seconds including the draw stroke from surrender position, you're fast and accurate.

Defenders start at a disadvantage, making up that deficit is paramount to staying above ground
Put the emotions in the box, is where I would start actually.

·
Registered
20 Posts
It's been my experience, people have a hard enough time hitting COM under duress. It's also been my experience that one can practice placing perfect shots on a static target as shown in the vid and it all goes out the window when the pucker factor hits 10.

COM, my steel plates are the size of an average mans chest, placed at the height of a mans chest on a single stand. Ring the steel you've got your COM shot.
you’re missing the point of the targets, they are to show what a persons overall sight picture needs to look like to get good hits

without that knowledge you’re relying on dumb luck and guesses
It’s like taking a Olympic level shooter that has never hunted and telling him to shoot a quartering deer….he’ll probably hit real close to where he’s aiming but without the knowledge of where to aim chances of a good hit drop dramatically

·
Registered
20 Posts
On Topic:

2 to 21/2 years to be a 0311???? Somebody has told incorrect information

·
Registered
57,035 Posts
you’re missing the point of the targets, they are to show what a persons overall sight picture needs to look like to get good hits

It’s like taking a Olympic level shooter that has never hunted and telling him to shoot a quartering deer….he’ll probably hit real close to where he’s aiming but without the knowledge of where to aim chances of a good hit drop dramatically
You're the one who's missed the point. I need NO sight picture to get good hits.

COM means COM, that's where one aims.

Here, NO sight picture as there's no sights on the gun. Now tell me again how someone needs to know what their sight picture is. As I mentioned, I shoot my COM sized steel plates at a nominal mans height on stands. I shoot plates specifically to avoid trying to find some particular place on a paper target as shown in the vid, to place the round. Mainly because it's been my experience when it's pucker factor 10 and about to take incoming or taking it presently, al that goes out the window. Simply knowing one can make COM hits in various scenarios [ time and distance equations ] is enough to put people down.

Sight picture, it's just so novice where combat shooting is concerned.

·
Registered
57,035 Posts

If you would, explain what sight picture I needed to make COM hits in this video.

·
Registered
20 Posts
You're the one who's missed the point. I need NO sight picture to get good hits.

COM means COM, that's where one aims.

Here, NO sight picture as there's no sights on the gun. Now tell me again how someone needs to know what their sight picture is. As I mentioned, I shoot my COM sized steel plates at a nominal mans height on stands. I shoot plates specifically to avoid trying to find some particular place on a paper target as shown in the vid, to place the round. Mainly because it's been my experience when it's pucker factor 10 and about to take incoming or taking it presently, al that goes out the window. Simply knowing one can make COM hits in various scenarios [ time and distance equations ] is enough to put people down.

Sight picture, it's just so novice where combat shooting is concerned.

Like I said you missed the point of the targets….they aren’t about how you shoot it’s about teaching WHERE to put your shots, COM should be self explanatory but it rarely is these give feedback as to how effective your shots would be based on where they land on a human body

·
Registered
57,035 Posts
Like I said you missed the point of the targets….they aren’t about how you shoot it’s about teaching WHERE to put your shots, COM should be self explanatory but it rarely is these give feedback as to how effective your shots would be based on where they land on a human body
Well, I'm not so sure I need a target that shows me where to shoot, I'm smart enough to have someone explain where to shoot, with it pointed out on their or another's body and then just get to making COM shots, because that's where they showed me I should shoot. ;)

You know what those targets do for most people? It slows them down trying to make A hits on a target that's doesn't show COM as a scored 5. That A zone is a lot smaller than COM. And there's few in a gun battle that will make A hits with any regularity, but will make COM hits more reliably.

Now turn that target on an oblique, just a little. A zone gets smaller, turned a little more, it's nearly not visible. Now where are you going to shoot? You guessed it, COM. The brain doesn't need to figure that out "in the moment" under duress when all it needs to remember is COM, no matter what COM is presented.

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
Well, I'm not so sure I need a target that shows me where to shoot, I'm smart enough to have someone explain where to shoot, with it pointed out on their or another's body and then just get to making COM shots, because that's where they showed me I should shoot. ;)

You know what those targets do for most people? It slows them down trying to make A hits on a target that's doesn't show COM as a scored 5. That A zone is a lot smaller than COM. And there's few in a gun battle that will make A hits with any regularity, but will make COM hits more reliably.

Now turn that target on an oblique, just a little. A zone gets smaller, turned a little more, it's nearly not visible. Now where are you going to shoot? You guessed it, COM. The brain doesn't need to figure that out "in the moment" under duress when all it needs to remember is COM, no matter what COM is presented.
I too have long had a decent handle on where the shots need to go.

Most of these videos are directed at people who aren't me. That's why I seldom take the time to even watch them.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts