Florida Concealed Carry banner

1 - 20 of 109 Posts

·
Registered
6,590 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So, I'm doing some planning for my 2016 "acquisitions." First on the list is an AR, since I have several handguns and a 12G (although I would like to get a real JM-PRO at some point). I'm thinking of an LE6920 (5.56/.223). I may buy it stripped of "furniture" so I can put on my own adjustable stock, barrel shroud, optics, etc. Also, I want to ensure that I get at least one AR, just in case the antis get any "federal" traction on getting them banned.

But I'm wondering how effective an AR is as a HD weapon? Given its power, I'd worry about it penetrating walls (even cinderblock) and into other houses (in my neighborhood, houses are *that* close to each other that it is a concern). Is there such a thing as "frangible" AR ammo, similar to JHP's for a pistol? I've always believed my pistols (with JHP ammo) are better for home defense, or the 12G. If one is out in the open and without structures that could face a "collateral" hit, that's one thing. I'd definitely consider it for that. But when in the home? :dunno

Thoughts?

Thanks!

·
Registered
943 Posts
I'd recommend an M4 carbine variant with a 1/9 twist rate. 55 to 69Gr bullet weights will not be a problem penetrating block walls especially if jacketed hollow point ammo is used. Varmint bullets have thin jackets and explode with little penetration.

·
Super Moderator
28,381 Posts
Lots of opinions out there. Here is one. I'm sure someone here more qualified than I on the subject will be along to debate the issue! :grin

·
Registered
7,826 Posts
Yep they make frag rounds , but what about bodyarmor all the best dressed terrorist have them bought with welfare money ? I have colt CRX16R I'm very fond of checkout that model .

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
12 gauge buckshot #4 for home defense.

But to each their own.

If you're not going with a piston AR you should just build your own. It's relatively simple and you can focus your money where you want.

·
Banned
11,161 Posts
The AR, and other 5.56 carbines, are good HD weapons. The rounds themselves have less penetration on wallboard than most defensive handgun ammunition and it takes a slew of rounds to penetrate concrete block. Window glass yields readily to them, but it does to pistol ammo as well. Carbines, and because virtually all ARs have a barrel length of 20" or less, they are carbines, are as useful HD situations as are shotguns and have less recoil. Also, carbines allow for accurate engagement of targets out beyond 100 yards. This is an added advantage. There are some handling issues inside buildings which must be addressed and trained for, before one attempts to use a carbine inside a dwelling. But, overall, a carbine is quite good for HD.

·
Registered
5,791 Posts
You really cannot go wrong with a Colt 6920 and these days, the price is right! For a couple hundred less the S&W MP15 Sport gets rave reviews but lacks a dust cover and forward assist. There are about a bazillion other makers out there but for your first one it's smart to go with a proven, no frills design.

I have a couple Colts and if the OEM2 was out when I bought my last one, I would have one of those too. I think its a great plan to get one of the worlds best base carbines and add the furniture of your choosing.

Shop wisely and you'll have one delivered for less than $750 :thumsup

·
Registered
3,575 Posts
The Colt 6920 was my first AR. My logic being that a good place to start would be with the people who defined the current spec in the first place. At the time, there were no OEM1 and OEM2 versions, so I went with the MOE edition. This was still at the tag end of the post-Sandy Hook AR craze so I paid about $1000 for it. Out of the box it was a solid shooter. I ended up ditching the MOE handguard - it always felt flaky to me. I put a proper quad rail on it, popped a Silencerco flash hider on it for my can, and it became the AR it is today.

If I had to do it again, I'd go with the OEM1 or OEM2 and save some cash.

·
Registered
7,826 Posts
Buds has a 6lbs gas piston model 629$ my best friend bought one last year . So I got to test it throughly Adams lightweight carbine good luck just in time for X-mas .

·
Registered
6,590 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

·
Registered
6,590 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
OK, thanks all! I think I'm convinced that with the right ammo, the AR will make an excellent HD weapon.

Now, next big question - "Direct impingement" or "gas piston?"

:popcorn :grin

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
I'm giving a bit of though to an AR 9, for a house and fun gun.

·
Registered
2,096 Posts
My $0.02 based on no more than being an armchair ninja and reading a bit.

I have the Colt Match Target which was the CT-legal version of the 6940, with the monolithic upper. It was my first AR bought in CT so I did not think about the fixed upper at the time. That said, I really like that rifle and it has eaten every round I have fed it - thousands without a single malfunction other than a couple of bad primers. The downside to the 6940 is that I had no choice in the rail system and it is a heavy quad rail. It is my beater rifle and serves that role well.

Getting a stripped 6920 might be the way to go. I used an APEX Gator tube on my Noveske build (that's my rifle in the photos at the APEX page). Light and strong and great grip. You can get as many 1913 segments as you want for lights, etc.

I don't think it has been mentioned above but consider a can for your HD rifle given the blast from an AR indoors is literally deafening. I know some talk about having electronic ear pro next wherever the HD gun is and that might work. But what about anyone else in the house?

Which gets to LabGuy's point and something I have been thinking about really hard at this point - A 9mm SBR (or pistol with brace) with dedicated can as the main HD gun. Right now my bedside Gun Vault has a P229 in 40 and a P226 in 9mm with extended mags. Both have light/lasers and there are two SF 200+ lumen hand lights along with them. The default setting on the rail-mounted units is laser only. But I am really considering a SIG MPX with collapsing/folding stock and can. (Yes, I am something of a SIG fanboy).

Again, just my $0.02 which is likely overvalued at that price.

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
Which gets to LabGuy's point and something I have been thinking about really hard at this point - A 9mm SBR (or pistol with brace) with dedicated can as the main HD gun.
That's where I was going, SBR w/can. Start with the rifle and work my way to a SBR and can.

·
Registered
3,575 Posts
I have a suppressed 300 BLK build that could serve as an HD rifle. That being said, I've leaned towards pistols for home defense since I live in an urban area and anything inside the home or on-property is 7 yards or less. I figure also if they are beyond 7 yards, they might be off my property, making a self-defense shooting harder to justify. Of course I could be wrong.

If/when I move to a place with a larger yard/land holding, rifle use for HD will become more important.

1 - 20 of 109 Posts