Florida Concealed Carry banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
7,800 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here is a great video I stumbled upon while surfing YouTube. I thought I would share it here for us 1911 folks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,781 Posts
A 1911 fits my hand. The Double Column guns are harder to hold. That being said, I own three, one S&W SW9VE, one SWaMPy 9c and a Glock 19 Gen 5.
Geoff
Who wonders how many 1911 variants are being made each year?

·
Registered
7,800 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
The dude on the video is correct tho. 1911s are like a well made Swiss watch, with precision. I don’t get that warm and funny feeling from a plastic fantastic like I do with a 1911.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
6,051 Posts
I have a Colt Gold Cup National Match that I will sell for 10 Million Dollars """CASH"""
And I gotta admit, I like this gun soooo much I hope nobody even considers buying it from me.
Ronnie

·
Registered
55,823 Posts
1911's can be well made like a swiss watch, finely tuned and all that. However, there are makers models that don't meet that criteria of finely honed and precision machined parts.

In fact, my AO mutt milspec that Rick McC replaced all the internals on, wasn't a finely tuned 1911 to start and still isn't a finely tuned 1911 [ slide to frame fit wasn't touched, barrel to barrel bushing wasn't touched etc ]. But it will run all day with the big dogs like my Ed Brown semi custom.

My 2 SA's that I carried professionally for near 30 years built in the 80's were just milspec mutts with reliability packages performed on them. Still mutts however and would rattle when shaken [ slide to frame fit ].

I'd take my two SA's which cost me 180.00 a piece back then or the AO milspec mutt over my Ed Brown 3500.00 Kobra Carry all day long. Just something about a milspec that pleasing to my eyes. Likely cause is having carried two of them for many years on the streets and one saving my butt a few times in actual altercations.

·
Registered
7,655 Posts
Brownie

Once again we seem to think the same way. I have a few 1911’s, some of which were reasonably expensive. They mostly live in the safe or on display. I too have many years carrying “old slab sides” and it is the handgun with which I am most familiar.

I own a few 2011’s. They shoot great, they have significant capacity and are well-made. When they are carried IWB, they just feel different than a 1911. They are a little more uncomfortable, a little thicker and they make more of a ding/imprint on an expensive leather seat. OWB Might be the answer during winter.

I can pretty much carry whatever I want. I am plagued by some sort of unnecessary frugality gene. I think I got it from my mother. I shouldn’t, but if I carry for instance Ed Brown Kobra Carry lightweight, I feel uncomfortable. I feel kind of like I’m picking up bags of gravel in a Lamborghini as I walk through my day. I feel like I should’ve brought the truck.

I have pretty much settled on my Dan Wesson ECP as my preferred carry 1911. The Wiley Clapp Colt lightweight commander is my second choice.

·
Registered
503 Posts
I made it to four and half minutes, which is about as good as it gets on videos unless they present new, worthwhile information. This guy is clearly mesmerized by the sound of his own voice.

Why would I carry a 1911 over, say, the Shield .45 that I actually do carry every day? What does it do that my Shield does not? What advantages does it offer over my Shield? Is it lighter, more accurate, easier to carry, easier to conceal, less expensive, more accurate at distance, easier to work on, or more reliable? In the realm of nostalgia, fond memories of my earlier life, and a less-complex range of firearms, the 1911 has a place. In my edc holster of today, it does not.

·
Registered
7,655 Posts
If the shield had been invented a few decades ago and you carried one in the army or as a police officer, that’s why you would carry one rather than a 1911. I have a shield in 45, and 40 and 9 mm and even one in 357 sig. I shoot my 1911 much better. It’s all personal preference and experience.

·
Registered
503 Posts
If the shield had been invented a few decades ago and you carried one in the army or as a police officer, that’s why you would carry one rather than a 1911. I have a shield in 45, and 40 and 9 mm and even one in 357 sig. I shoot my 1911 much better. It’s all personal preference and experience.
I carried a 1911 when I was in the military. Nostalgia is great, and I have nothing but fondness for the platform. That said, I shoot my .45 Shields much better than my 1911. My 9mm Shield, otoh is a yawner, relegated to the safe except when I'm putting on classes.

·
Registered
6,833 Posts
I have a Colt Gold Cup National Match that I will sell for 10 Million Dollars """CASH"""
And I gotta admit, I like this gun soooo much I hope nobody even considers buying it from me.
Ronnie
That was my first 1911. Still have in and would never sell it. (y)

After that I downsized to a colt officers as it was easier for me to carry and conceal. Still have that one too.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts