Florida Concealed Carry banner
101 - 118 of 118 Posts

·
Registered
7,473 Posts
Taran Butler doing the “Dicken Drill”. For those that may not know Taran is a multi 3 gun champion and been shooting competitions for years. He is also the trainer of Keau Reeves, Halle Berry and many more celebrities. His company, Taran Tactical Innovatons, did all the gun smithing work on all the John Wick guns.

·
Registered
18,705 Posts
Discussion Starter · #104 ·
Alpha's, Bravos, Charlies, Delta's, interesting, and likely only how a gamer would describe those hits.
Isn’t that because certain competitions score them like that?
IPSC
IDPA
3 gun
?
All their targets have A,B,C and D zones no?

And all these gun gurus doing the ‘drill’ are forgetting Eli is a 22yr old kid with admittedly zero training or competition experience. Makes his accomplishment all that much better to me than what Taran just did.

·
Registered
56,821 Posts
IPSC
IDPA
3 gun
?

And all these gun gurus doing the ‘drill’ are forgetting Eli is a 22yr old kid with admittedly zero training or competition experience. Makes his accomplishment all that much better to me than what Taran just did.
That was the point, LOL. You don't hear Rick [ who shoots comps ] that his hits on his targets on my line were so many down 0, or down 1 etc LOL

I've not been that impressed with Taran after he another schmuck big name decided to do a video dispelling the myths that people can't shoot two guns simultaneously on 2 separate threats. Then proceeded to try to shoot at 30 feet with them fairly spaced apart [ 10 feet IIRC ], obviously with dismal results.

What he proved was that he was using a skill well beyond it's effectiveness relative distance. So people think they can't shoot two guns at two threats at the same time, the big names couldn't do it.

But you and I know better don't we? ;)

But Taran used those alpha, bravo charlies because the video is for his followers, most of whom shoot the same games he does.

·
Registered
8,426 Posts
IPSC
IDPA
3 gun
?

Not only that he had no “professional “ training but, he did it with his carry gun. Taran (sp?) did it with his custom g17 range gun and is an accomplished “games” shooter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: 7.62Kolectr

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
That was the point, LOL. You don't hear Rick [ who shoots comps ] that his hits on his targets on my line were so many down 0, or down 1 etc LOL

I've not been that impressed with Taran after he another schmuck big name decided to do a video dispelling the myths that people can't shoot two guns simultaneously on 2 separate threats. Then proceeded to try to shoot at 30 feet with them fairly spaced apart [ 10 feet IIRC ], obviously with dismal results.
Proof once again that no matter how skilled, how knowledgeable and experienced people are, they still don't know what they don't know. Sometimes they don't know it with such enthusiasm that they feel it imperative that other people don't know it, either. Another case of I can't do it, so it can't be done.

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
I keep hearing that Dicken had no training. His reported results do no bear that assertion out. Those clearly were not just lucky hits scored as he fell off the turnip truck.

Reactions: brownie

·
Registered
8,426 Posts
I keep hearing that Dicken had no training. His reported results do no bear that assertion out. Those clearly were not just lucky hits scored as he fell off the turnip truck.
I guess without hearing it from the horses mouth, we really won’t know.

·
Registered
56,821 Posts
I guess without hearing it from the horses mouth, we really won’t know.

An educated guess about probabilities based on performance would suggest it wasn't the first time he'd shot that pistol.

·
Registered
18,705 Posts
Discussion Starter · #112 ·
An educated guess about probabilities based on performance would suggest it wasn't the first time he'd shot that pistol.
Only statement hes made was that his grandfather taught him how to shoot. Pretty sure hes shot the gun he carried but as far as actual training goes we don’t know because he did the right thing and went radio silent.

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
If people are interested in the type and amount of training that goes into making distance shots when they count, I recommend Andy Brown's Amazon.com

Here's a decent account of the incident:

The Cliff notes:

"Meanwhile, Senior Airman Andrew P. Brown, age 25, with the 92nd Air Force Security Police Squadron, was patrolling the base’s housing areas on a bicycle when he received an emergency call on his two-way radio. He pedaled a quarter-mile to the scene and, while still some 70 yards away, spotted Mellberg shooting at scores of panic-stricken people in the parking lot.
Brown ditched his bicycle and ordered the gunman to drop his weapon. When Mellberg turned and shot at him, Brown dropped into a combat crouch and returned fire with his 9mm Beretta M9 semiautomatic pistol. He fired four rounds at Mellberg; two missed, one hit him in the shoulder and one struck him between the eyes, instantly ending his homicidal rampage. The drum magazine in Mellberg’s MAK-90 still held 19 rounds of ammunition."

In the book I linked, Andy Brown describes in great detail his training regimen prior to the shooting. Again, four rounds from an arms-room issued Beretta M9, two hits, one fatal from seventy-two yards away. It was the first and last time he ever fired that particular gun.

·
Registered
18,705 Posts
Discussion Starter · #114 ·
If people are interested in the type and amount of training that goes into making distance shots when they count, I recommend Andy Brown's Amazon.com

Here's a decent account of the incident:

The Cliff notes:

"Meanwhile, Senior Airman Andrew P. Brown, age 25, with the 92nd Air Force Security Police Squadron, was patrolling the base’s housing areas on a bicycle when he received an emergency call on his two-way radio. He pedaled a quarter-mile to the scene and, while still some 70 yards away, spotted Mellberg shooting at scores of panic-stricken people in the parking lot.
Brown ditched his bicycle and ordered the gunman to drop his weapon. When Mellberg turned and shot at him, Brown dropped into a combat crouch and returned fire with his 9mm Beretta M9 semiautomatic pistol. He fired four rounds at Mellberg; two missed, one hit him in the shoulder and one struck him between the eyes, instantly ending his homicidal rampage. The drum magazine in Mellberg’s MAK-90 still held 19 rounds of ammunition."

In the book I linked, Andy Brown describes in great detail his training regimen prior to the shooting. Again, four rounds from an arms-room issued Beretta M9, two hits, one fatal from seventy-two yards away. It was the first and last time he ever fired that particular gun.
Scroll to 6:30 to see an officer unbraced and kneeling shoot a perp from about 80yds

·
Super Moderator
31,895 Posts
I know I read somewhere that Dicken did receive training from his grandfather. :unsure:

·
Registered
10,092 Posts
IPSC
IDPA
3 gun
?

IDPA has three “zones” on the sillouette:
0 down, -1, and -3.
A miss is -5.
Each point down adds a full second to your time; which is your score. The lower the time; the higher your score.

·
Registered
2,053 Posts
IPSC
IDPA
3 gun
?

Eli received training from his grandfather. Keep it in the family. Boy was it effective training!
Geoff
Who said Eli's Grandpappy needs to sell training.

101 - 118 of 118 Posts