Florida Concealed Carry banner
81 - 100 of 118 Posts

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
Of course and agreed

My first few shots were the best ones. After those I thought my ‘15 secs’ was gonna be up and rushed the last few. But it turned out when done I was under 12.

This is not mentioning that my eyes have gotten bad enough to where the sights are BLURRY. Target is clear. Up close sights aren’t. If I put my cheater glasses on sights are crystal clear and target is blurry. Of course I’ll never have them with me or on walking around so I shot as I carry.
I don’t remember the last time before today that I shot even this far? Its been a few years. And i havent shot my edc in over six months as well. Gave me a good baseline and idea. That was the purpose. Just to see what I could do cold.
Its obvious more range time and more practice improves things. After less than an hour they were all right there. Just need to get back to shooting once or twice a month instead of once every six or so months so cold I’d be ‘warmed up’ already. Ammo ain’t so cheap these days.
My eyesight is why I run red dots pretty much exclusively now. Front sight press has always been a focus issue for me with handguns, and the red dots are as good as it gets for my target-focused. Since that's what I'm stuck with, it's what I work on and try to improve on the most. It doesn't affect my point shooting, so there is no trade-off.

Reactions: 7.62Kolectr

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
welllll. For sure he wasn’t a piece of paper on a hanger. 😬
All I’ve read said after first few shots or hits he tried to retreat back into the bathroom and never made it.
I've read that the first round was a fight stopper, and would have been fatal all by itself. Small wonder that the shooter tried to retreat.

·
Registered
56,821 Posts
welllll. For sure he wasn’t a piece of paper on a hanger. 😬
All I’ve read said after first few shots or hits he tried to retreat back into the bathroom and never made it.
I'd rather he retreat [ indicative of not moving laterally left to right or right to left ] as it makes it easier to stay on threat. Even a small oblique retreating is fine for me.

It's the fast moving left to right, right to left that would force me to go to the threat focused Quick Kill pistol skill. It's superior when it comes to "tracking" a threat over trying to get sights on it.

HK, second week long swat course at HK, Sterling, Va. One of the afternoons, they threw some fast moving steal plates on rails at us. Had us shooting from about 10 yrds at them. I tried to track the plate and make hits the first time through with fair to dismal results [ IMO for me ] maybe getting 3 shots off.

Second go round, Quick Kill pistol two handed [ we were shooting from a stationary position ] and I made 5 for 5 hits in the same time [ the plate moved at the same pace back and forth for everyone ]. That was 1994, and their exercise brought home the need to go threat focused with the pistol QK skills.

Learned then and there, it's the same principle as hitting moving clays/birds out of the air with Quick Kill rifle. Becomes a no brainer for me. If it's moving, threat focused pistol Quick Kill [ one or two handed ] will be the order of the day. Cost me 3K for the week to learn that the QK pistol skill I'd owned for a long time at that point was the best chance at making more reliable and more hits in the same time given.

Now at 40 yrds, it may be a bit of a challenge to make all the hits, but I've shot the no sights 1911 QK pistol at 60 yrds some 14-15 years ago and made 8 hits of 8 out of that 1911. I'm fairly confident placing the muzzle on his upper body using the reference point peripherally will have hits being made, and in a lot lesstime for 8 hits than 15 seconds.

·
Registered
8,426 Posts
Two things I learned today at the range with Saiid.

#1. The rear sight on my g43x is way off, 3-4 inches left at 10yds off! I’ve only shot this pistol “quick kill” as I was taught. On my first target at 20yds I only had 3 or 4 rounds on paper (I know I don’t suck that bad but, damn). Second round I shot two hand point shoulder and got 8 of 10 on the silhouette. (Correct me if I’m wrong Saiid, you saw it first hand).

#2. The new CZ P01 shot as good as I knew it would (it’s a CZ). 9 of 10 hits on target at 20yds in less than 12 seconds. Repeatable. 150 rounds with no ftf’s. As soon as I get more rounds down range with no issues I will put it on my waist for CC.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
18,705 Posts
Discussion Starter · #91 ·
Two things I learned today at the range with Saiid.

#1. The rear sight on my g43x is way off, 3-4 inches left at 10yds off! I’ve only shot this pistol “quick kill” as I was taught. On my first target at 20yds I only had 3 or 4 rounds on paper (I know I don’t suck that bad but, damn). Second round I shot two hand point shoulder and got 8 of 10 on the silhouette. (Correct me if I’m wrong Saiid, you saw it first hand).

#2. The new CZ P01 shot as good as I knew it would (it’s a CZ). 9 of 10 hits on target at 20yds in less than 12 seconds. Repeatable. 150 rounds with no ftf’s. As soon as I get more rounds down range with no issues I will put it on my waist for CC.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
He did it. I saw it.

Caleb….put my $20 in the mail….😂

·
Registered
5,283 Posts
well this was pretty good shooting. At our range we have a 50yd steel lane. I decided since we are there shooting alot on the 50 with 22lr that we were going to go over to the steel lane and shoot a couple of mags every week to 50……i dont know if would be able to get 8-10 at 40, but its a good drill……….

·
Registered
4,599 Posts
Off topic a little, but I went to the indoor range yesterday with a friend who just picked up his first handgun (a 1911).
He's new to firearms, so I mostly just let him run as much range time as he wanted.

I'm not an instructor, (and even though I can once hit a dime-size target at 500 yards - that never gets old!!), I've not had a lot of instruction in handguns.
So I'm trying my best to help with the obvious stuff: stance, watching how he was holding the gun, and it's motion during and after the shot, etc...

What was interesting is he was all over the place.
So, I pulled the target in pretty close (maybe 15-20 feet) and had him shoot that for a while.
We were using spatterburst targets.

After he got "OK" with that, I moved them out to maybe double the distance.
Result: Near instant improvement from what he was able to do beforehand.
Must have something to do with something - but I don't know what. :)

·
Registered
18,705 Posts
Discussion Starter · #95 ·
Off topic a little, but I went to the indoor range yesterday with a friend who just picked up his first handgun (a 1911).
He's new to firearms, so I mostly just let him run as much range time as he wanted.

I'm not an instructor, (and even though I can once hit a dime-size target at 500 yards - that never gets old!!), I've not had a lot of instruction in handguns.
So I'm trying my best to help with the obvious stuff: stance, watching how he was holding the gun, and it's motion during and after the shot, etc...

What was interesting is he was all over the place.
So, I pulled the target in pretty close (maybe 15-20 feet) and had him shoot that for a while.
We were using spatterburst targets.

After he got "OK" with that, I moved them out to maybe double the distance.
Result: Near instant improvement from what he was able to do beforehand.
Must have something to do with something - but I don't know what. :)
good job👍

·
Super Moderator
31,895 Posts
I cannot forget asking Caleb, "You want me to put a hole in your target for you?" 🤠

81 - 100 of 118 Posts