Florida Concealed Carry banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Administrator
3,949 Posts
Very good read indeed. I currently have the Glock 19 9mm and after reading this I am now considering the Glock 23 .40 cal. I don't think I'll ever do the .45 because I like having high capacity. I have shot the Glock 23 and the recoil is not more harsher than the Glock 19. Back to the drawing board I'll go.

·
Registered
5,581 Posts
Good article. Thanks. I'll stick with my 40. I may bump up to 180 grain bullets from the 165 I currently have but will stay with the gold dots.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Very good read indeed. I currently have the Glock 19 9mm and after reading this I am now considering the Glock 23 .40 cal. I don't think I'll ever do the .45 because I like having high capacity. I have shot the Glock 23 and the recoil is not more harsher than the Glock 19. Back to the drawing board I'll go.

I am assuming your 9mm is a 16 round? How about a .45acp with 14 round capacity?

·
Administrator
3,949 Posts
I am assuming your 9mm is a 16 round? How about a .45acp with 14 round capacity?
15 +1 is correct for the Glock19. I want to keep with the same frame size of the compact Glock which has the G19 9mm, G23 .40 and G38 .45 GAP. The G38 is only holds 8+1. I'm not sure about the recoil because I've never shot one before but I have fired the G23 and the recoil is manageable. It's actually sweet compared to the G19. The last thing is ammo price. I'm willing to shell out the extra bucks for the .40 but not much more. I'm looking into IDPA matches and so will be putting many rounds on target so I know the cost will add up.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
15 +1 is correct for the Glock19. I want to keep with the same frame size of the compact Glock which has the G19 9mm, G23 .40 and G38 .45 GAP. The G38 is only holds 8+1. I'm not sure about the recoil because I've never shot one before but I have fired the G23 and the recoil is manageable. It's actually sweet compared to the G19. The last thing is ammo price. I'm willing to shell out the extra bucks for the .40 but not much more. I'm looking into IDPA matches and so will be putting many rounds on target so I know the cost will add up.
I see your point. My suggestion was mostly for a self defense gun. If I were competition shooting I definitely would use 9mm as well. Was just pointing out that an XD45acp carries 13+1 in a frame size of a 1911 with minimally larger thicker grip size.

·
Administrator
3,949 Posts
I see your point. My suggestion was mostly for a self defense gun. If I were competition shooting I definitely would use 9mm as well. Was just pointing out that an XD45acp carries 13+1 in a frame size of a 1911 with minimally larger thicker grip size.
Perhaps I might have to get a second weapon :drinks

·
Registered
60 Posts
Well, I certainly can't argue with the guy's first hand experience...but...

For me the .40 cal is too uncomfortable to practice with. In my eyes, the practice is what will be the deciding factor in a gun fight and I need to be able to hit the target when my adrenaline induced tunnel vision sets in.

I dunno, it seems just as I get comfortable with a caliber I start finding ways to doubt my choice.

I will have to test the glock 27 as to date I have only fired a FN FNP in .40.

But, the ease of shooting with the G26 gives me the confidence that I will be able to hit more or less what Im aiming at when the SHTF.

I do have my 1911 in .45 acp if Im going into a "hot zone" but that rarely happens. Ironically, I am much more comfortable shooting the .45 acp than the .40. The .40 felt a lot more like a .38 revolver snubby with a snap that left my hand stinging after a few rounds. The 1911s recoil is more like a shove than a snap and I can fire hundreds of rounds through it without my hands complaining.

I would carry it more but for its large butt which makes concealment more difficult than with the G26.

For me, if I can't be comfortable practicing with the gun, I am not as confident that I will be able to use the gun to adequately defend myself.

With any luck it will never be an issue ;)

·
Registered
55,261 Posts
Carried 1911's for over 25 years. 4 Years ago, went to the tupperware and 9mm with 147 gr. Win Ranger T.

That round, and two others in 9mm are supreme performers on the streets in that time. I'm aware that the San Jose PD used their G17's and that load successfully put men down with one rd needed in the first 9 shootings involving that new [ at the time ] to them load decision. They're very happy with that round in 9mm.

The morgue is probably not going to be the last word on caliber selection based on people being on the slab for a few reasons. The one thing that sticks out at me is they are all dead from bullets, and the next thing that concerns me is that the ones they are seeing aren't being shot with the best load in any particular caliber in the majority of shootings.

I carry the 9mm in the above load, and would also consider the Fed HST and Speer Gold Dot loadings as superior for SD. I'm not the least concerned the results the morgue sees will be quite different from my own load being used.

In the better loadings within each caliber choice, the difference isn't worth even thinking about. Research the data, take your best guess on the best loading for your needs and learn to shoot straight, keep your powder dry and watch your back.

You'll be good to go.

Brownie

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
The other problem with taking too much from these results is that the guys in the morgue never see the results of shootings that don't end in death - so we don't know how often any particular round or caliber fails to kill. That means there are a large number of data points (probably the majority of them) on the performance of ammunition in human bodies that are not being included. For instance, if a particular round fragmented often, to the point of not being lethal, but sometimes held together and was able to penetrate deeply enough to kill, it might appear to be a good round from what the morgue guy sees, but in fact be failing miserably 70% of the time.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
While I am the original poster of this thread and I did find this reading to be interesting, I see it more as an argument of using the heaviest bullet, in your choice of caliber, rather than a caliber problem in itself.

As many have said on other forums, dead is dead. Does it matter that it took three shots rather than one? Maybe, maybe not, dead is dead. I guess it would really only matter if you were battling more than one attacker.

·
653 Posts
Very interesting. I can see where the writer gets his theories from. Bottom line is that all those guys are dead from one caliber of another, one or several bullets. They all did their jobs as they were meant to. The higher calibers may have done it with less bullets but dead is dead.

·
Registered
974 Posts
They all did their jobs as they were meant to. The higher calibers may have done it with less bullets but dead is dead.
Fewer bullets = fewer chances for the bad guy to shoot back.

Twice I have read this article. It makes me happy I've gone with a .40 though I'm now thinking about a 1911. Maybe some time next year.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts