Florida Concealed Carry banner

21 - 40 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
6,980 Posts
i think less of the damage to guns and phones than the fact that, unless one is a strong swimmer, the added weight could mean the difference between two rescues and one...and once youre in the water it wont be as easy to remove things in pants pockets and covered by water laden clothing...if youre wondering, jump in your pool clothed and try to undress...hint: do it in the shallow end...
Good point.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,503 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Excellent discussion, thanks, glad I didn’t have to make a call. My luck I would have leaped over and landed in someone’s boat!

·
Registered
5,808 Posts
Cell phone is a non-issue of weight. I cannot imagine it would be at all difficult to draw and ditch the guns in the water if they became a problem. I hope I'm never in such a situation but I believe I'd go immediately in. Actually, if it was my wife I might give it a couple seconds to see if/where she pops up. If it was my young daughter, I'm straight in after her. I don't say that to be glib but a grown woman has skills that a five year old doesn't.

Sorry about the ding on your awesome vacation. Best to you both.

·
Registered
8,665 Posts
Damn, that’s a bit too much excitement!

Glad your wife is going to be OK.

I can say from past experiences that I’d be in the water immediately, guns shoes clothes and all. If I did think of the phone, I guess I’d probably drop it.

·
Super Moderator
29,473 Posts
Shark, based on my training, I personally am not too worried about the weight of my EDC and clothes if I had to go into the water quickly to rescue a loved one. However, that is only because of my training and experience, first in college having to learn "survival float" techniques when in trouble in the water in order to graduate from Ga Tech and then again later when I had to pass initial USN Aircrew Water Survival training and refresher courses every 4 years until 2016! Of course, those "survival floating" techniques are not really for rescuing someone else and therefore not directly applicable to your situation nearly experienced and thankfully didn't. However, I'm pretty confident that if I found myself in the water with my EDC kit, clothes, etc., and in trouble myself, I could survive for a long time, hopefully until someone else came to MY rescue. On the other hand, I've also been taught and evaluated in passing many conventional and higher level Wilderness First Aid courses to always survey the scene first and to never make the problem worse by creating a second victim, but we sheepdogs also need to think though these types of scenarios frequently to better prepare ourselves to react appropriately, especially when it's your loved one in trouble! That's why this is a great thread and thanks for sharing! We need more of these types of threads!!! (y) (y)

·
Registered
8,122 Posts
Glad to hear your Wife is ok and your vacation has been saved. I loved the 6 months I spent in Big pine key on my employers dime working on a big hotel down town.

·
Premium Member
514 Posts
Glad to hear your Wife is ok and your vacation has been saved. I loved the 6 months I spent in Big pine key on my employers dime working on a big hotel down town.
Totally Agreed With Mr. Earl's above .. As I Only Hit 'Like' on a few listed above , I Would Now Like To Personalize this More .. I See We Do Share Some things in Common & Things will Hopefully Settle Down in a While . You Have My "Very Best" For Your Wife's Recovery & I have No Doubt You Will Stand By Her, As I'm Sure You Always do ! Yes The Mind Can Be a Strange Computer , Bringing Back 'Past Events' You Have Gone Through . I Just Read About Your Current Age , & I Wish I Was 'That Young' My Friend ! . Thank You For Posting this .. " Gunner "

·
Registered
6,207 Posts
67 years old now and was surprised the old noggin still did it’s slo-mo thing just like older emergent situations.
I thought at that age it was always in it’s slo-mo thing! 😝 😝 😝 :eek:

All kidding aside, I’m glad you and your wife are ok. You and I both know how life can change in an instant. Thankfully it went well considering. Hoping her foot isn’t broken, just bruised. (y)

·
Registered
4,200 Posts
First off, I am happy that your wife is okay.

It was many years ago, but I spent a lot of my youth working as a lifeguard, and swimming instructor. An important point -- that I don't think a lot of untrained people realize -- is that going into the water is an absolute LAST RESORT. In that way, it is a little bit like drawing your weapon in a self-defense situation; you don't do it unless you really MUST. Especially if you are not a strong swimmer, and very comfortable in the water, it is a good way to end up with two drownings, instead of one.

Beyond that, if you are talking about the Snake Creek bridge, then you are talking about a neighborhood of 30' jump down to the water. If you don't know what you are doing, a jump like that can result in serious injury just from the impact with the water. So, all in all, I think it is a very good thing that your wife did not go over, and that you did not try to go after her.

All that said, if I were in your situation, and decided that going into the water after her was the only alternative, my first thought would have been to get off the bridge and go in from the shore. If I really thought I HAD to jump from the bridge, I would ditch whatever I could within a second or two -- anything in my hands, kick off my shoes maybe, the weapon on my waist. I do not think that I would take the time to take a gun out of an ankle holster. I certainly wouldn't worry about what was going to happen to my stuff, I would just drop it. If you have time for more than that, then you probably have enough time to NOT be jumping off of a 30' high bridge.

In any case, glad that you did not have to make the decision, and that it ended with no major injuries.

·
Registered
55,088 Posts
30 feet to the water is a hell of a long way down. More importantly, I'd be concerned with the depth of the water I'm about to jump into, not so much the height of the drop to the water.

You'd need 12-14 feet of water depth to pull it off safely. 6-7 feet plus your height is a safe depth at 30 feet. A professional diver could do it safely in 6-8 feet of water, I'm not that guy.

Shark, glad she's gonna be okay and didn't go over.

·
Registered
4,200 Posts
More importantly, I'd be concerned with the depth of the water I'm about to jump into...
Yep. Also a big issue down in the Keys. Under Snake Creek bridge, if you go into the channel you will probably be okay. Land outside of the channel, though, and all bets are off.

·
Registered
6,207 Posts
Cannon ball!!! :oops:

Just kidding.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Talk about scary. I hope your wife didn't suffer any serious injury.

I think your wife is more valuable to you than your firearms so I suspect you'd go after her without taking the time to disarm. Yell at the guy who stopped to call 911 for an ambulance and maybe toss the cellphone on the ground if you had time to think about that.
In boy scouts while getting the swimming merit badge we had to jump in fully clothed, shoes and all to show us why taking the few extra seconds to strip down is worth it. I imagine a bunch of steel and lead strapped to you, especially your ankle, and there would be two people who needed saving! If going in to save someone, always strip down to your undeeswear.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Reactions: bladenbullet

·
Registered
20,708 Posts
In boy scouts while getting the swimming merit badge we had to jump in fully clothed, shoes and all to show us why taking the few extra seconds to strip down is worth it. I imagine a bunch of steel and lead strapped to you, especially your ankle, and there would be two people who needed saving! If going in to save someone, always strip down to your undeeswear.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
as a member of several boating and fishing forums, ive seen countless "i dont need a life jacket because i'm seldom more than a mile from shore" posts...most dont know what they dont know until it slaps them in the face...it's one thing to be noble...another altogether to add to the problem...

21 - 40 of 43 Posts