Florida Concealed Carry banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
5,503 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I thought I’d share this terrible situation for discussion purposes. My lovely wife and I were scooting around Islamorada on our Costco electric scooters. They have about a 6 inch wheel and can go about 25 miles an hour with a nice range.

We were crossing the drawbridge when there was an irregularity in the steel that she hit. It caused her to lose control and crash. I was behind her and saw the whole thing in slow motion. As the crash unfolded she went to her left fortunately away from motor vehicle traffic and hit the metal part of the bridge. I thought for one terrifying moment that she was going over.

It all happened in slow motion. A guy in a black Denali stopped and I mentally prepared to go over the bridge after her if necessary. It did occur to me during the slow motion phase that I had a cell phone, a performance center 642 in an ankle holster and another pistol in an IWB holster.

If she went over, I was going to wait for her to come up so I didn’t jump on her head. I did consider what to do with the weapons and cell phone and whether or not I should have handed them to the stranger that stopped to help or just leap in with my swimming ability compromised with an ankle holster. I even had the thought that a guy in a pick up would more likely be gun friendly than someone in a Prius.

Thoughts? What would you do?

·
Registered
2,022 Posts
Talk about scary. I hope your wife didn't suffer any serious injury.

I think your wife is more valuable to you than your firearms so I suspect you'd go after her without taking the time to disarm. Yell at the guy who stopped to call 911 for an ambulance and maybe toss the cellphone on the ground if you had time to think about that.

·
Registered
20,708 Posts
i would make sure i had a locking compartment on any conveyance in the event i had to go into a facility that was forbidden...but that is hindsight...

i would engage multiple witnesses if possible, unload the firearms toot sweet and distribute the contents accordingly...

if i felt an urgency that could not wait another moment i would drop the contents and go over the side...

would the foam cushion seats be any kind of helpful as a flotation device and are they easily removeable?...throwing one over the side before you jump might help them keep afloat while you observe what you are jumping into (depth/hazards) and orient yourself correctly without carelessly jumping into a possible worsening problem...

Reactions: BeerHunter

·
Registered
5,333 Posts
About twenty five + years ago I seen a kid fall into a retention pond on Dunlawton avenue.
I was on my Harley stopped at the light and instantly got off the bike and ran over to pull him up.
I slipped in the same way he did due to the side was soft and spongy
It was not deep so I lifted him onto some other people that grabbed him and then they pulled me up.
My Wallet, My S&W J-frame 38 and Me was as wet as can be.
Nobody hurt and I was on my way back home to showier and change clothes and on to the Boot Hill
Anytime you see what needs to be done you do not think about anything else but helping the person needing you at the time.
Please let us know how things are now.
Ronnie

·
Registered
5,503 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I will keep the gang posted. It did teach me something, both of us are going to wear helmets on these things in the future and probably gloves. If I had any brains I probably wouldn’t be riding one of these at all. I had just turned us around to go back to the motorhome because of the proximity of the traffic to the bike trail we were on I just had a feeling it wasn’t safe. That was about two minutes before the crash.

My right leg from the knee down is skin and bones with a fused ankle. It was from complications from an injury in the army. It’s amazing what your mind does during the slow motion phase. When I was seven or eight I pulled a two-year-old off the bottom of the pool. I was kicking really hard and reaching for the bottom of the stainless ladder where it kind of swept back into the deep end wall. I was almost there, then wasn’t kicking hard enough and started sinking. About that time my dad appeared and grabbed me by the hair, pulling us both out of the pool. I even had a flashback of that as I watched my wife bounce along the bridge.

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
Wow! Glad she is okay. I would have dropped the cell and gone over with my firearms attached if necessary. I’m very comfortable in the water and used to be able to swim a mile. I don’t think I’d want to hand guns over to someone, nor do I think I’d have time too in that scenario, wife or kids trump guns. Even if they come loose, they end up at bottom of ocean and get reported. “No, really officers, my guns ARE at the bottom of the ocean due to an accident.”

·
Registered
5,333 Posts
It is really amazing what happens in a situation in the way people react. I know that when you pulled that baby out of that pool you did not even think of any consequences to you.
It was not long ago I seen A TV news story about a guy running into a full blown fire to save a caged dog. He did it and could not tell the news lady why he did it.
It is just something that we all do in a terrible event.
It is the American way.
Ronnie

Reactions: 196THL.I.B.GUNNER

·
Registered
344 Posts
Cell phone gets put down, guns stay in their holsters. One of the many reasons my red-dot equipped Shield stays home on bike rides. If I had been carrying it when I went down on my bike last year, the RMSc would have been trashed instead of the Dawson I had to replace.

·
Registered
5,006 Posts
Glad your wife is ok. . . Hopefully ankle is not serious.

·
Registered
1,896 Posts
Glad no one was seriously hurt.

Given your physical limitations I wouldn't go over with the guns. The weight, especially on your ankle, could be enough to change the outcome. You probably wouldn't have a free hand to ditch them once you're in the water with your wife either.

I think setting them down and asking the guy to keep an eye on them while calling for help would be best. Even if he did turn out to be a raging Lib what would he do? kick them over the edge, refuse to call for help? There's always a chance he's an ANTIFA or BLM type who might wish you harm but that's a small chance and by the time you get her out of the water there would probably be more people there.

I'm not familiar with the area. how high is the bridge?

·
Registered
1,937 Posts
Glad your wife is OK.
Damn the torpedos. Wife goes over, you go in. Worry about the replaceable losses later.

Grated bridges are a bit tricky on two wheels. When you go over them the front wheel gets a bit squirrely, trying to find its groove. Avoid the instinct to try to fight it and correct the wobble. If you do chances are good that you'll oversteer, which is what probably happened to your wife. Trust the bike. It wants to stand up under power and will find its groove. And whatever you do, Stay off the front brake when the wheel is not straight.

·
Registered
120 Posts
I’m also glad your wife is OK. I was once in a major auto accident while carrying a small pocket pistol in my jacket. I was hit by a driver who sped through a red light. His car split in half, and mine was partially crushed. I was extracted by the local fire department, as I was pinned in by the collapsed dashboard. The pistol stayed in my jacket the entire time, while in the ambulance until my discharge from the hospital. No one else knew about it and no one went through my jacket pocket.

I decided not to bring any attention to my firearm. I agree that the revolver in the ankle holster could pose a problem while swimming.

·
Registered
20,708 Posts

She may have broken her foot. Will get her to the doctor in the next day or two back home.
ouch...and so much for lockable compartments and seats that float...i thought they were sit sown scooters...cmon man...treat yourself...

eta...consideration if taking off stuff to jump in...remove shirt (everything counts in the water) and wrap it around your items before handing them to anybody...

·
Super Moderator
29,473 Posts
Shark, glad your wife is ok and know exactly what you mean by events unfolding in front of you "in slow motion." It's happened to me at least three times I can remember (all three in emergent aviation incidents that could have killed me, one of them a catastrophic engine failure and shedding of engine and airframe parts). It's a phenomenon experienced quite often by people experiencing emergent situations. It seems like things are happening in slow motion but researchers attribute it to the mind becoming hypersensitive to the point of "logging" more intense or dense memories.

Also, those metal grate bridges are always difficult on two wheels. I've even had trouble on a large motorcycle! For me, they're to be avoided completely, but yeah, hindsight isn't too helpful in the moment.

Great, thought provoking thread, though! Hope the Mrs. is no worse for wear and not too sore. Stay safe, friend! 🤠

·
Registered
6,980 Posts
Hope the best for your wife and a quick recovery.

I would jump in with everything (dump the phone if possible). Wouldn’t trust any stranger leaving the guns behind. Plus, guns and phones are replaceable and you can most likely dry out the guns in time to prevent rust. Newer iPhones are water resistant to a certain depth.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Rick McC.

·
Registered
20,708 Posts
Hope the best for your wife and a quick recovery.

I would jump in with everything (dump the phone if possible). Wouldn’t trust any stranger leaving the guns behind. Plus, guns and phones are replaceable and you can most likely dry out the guns in time to prevent rust. Newer iPhones are water resistant to a certain depth.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
i think less of the damage to guns and phones than the fact that, unless one is a strong swimmer, the added weight could mean the difference between two rescues and one...and once youre in the water it wont be as easy to remove things in pants pockets and covered by water laden clothing...if youre wondering, jump in your pool clothed and try to undress...hint: do it in the shallow end...

Reactions: Marilyn

·
Registered
344 Posts
Glad no one was seriously hurt.

Given your physical limitations I wouldn't go over with the guns. The weight, especially on your ankle, could be enough to change the outcome. You probably wouldn't have a free hand to ditch them once you're in the water with your wife either.

I think setting them down and asking the guy to keep an eye on them while calling for help would be best. Even if he did turn out to be a raging Lib what would he do? kick them over the edge, refuse to call for help? There's always a chance he's an ANTIFA or BLM type who might wish you harm but that's a small chance and by the time you get her out of the water there would probably be more people there.

I'm not familiar with the area. how high is the bridge?
If I can't swim with it, I'm not going to be carrying it...

1 - 20 of 43 Posts