Florida Concealed Carry banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
18,975 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Ignoring the usual bias against Taurus I find the double strike capability of the trigger interesting. Never seen this before in a striker fired gun? Gun goes click instead of boom you can simply pull the trigger again igniting what may be a hard primer or something.

·
Registered
1,923 Posts
I have had a G2c, G3c and a G3. All very reliable, accurate and dependable. The G3 is my favorite as the full size model over the compacts just feel more comfortable. Installing the KeepTinkering flat face trigger and new spring took it to a higher lever.
Trigger Air gun Gun barrel Gun accessory Wood

·
Registered
10,279 Posts

Ignoring the usual bias against Taurus I find the double strike capability of the trigger interesting. Never seen this before in a striker fired gun? Gun goes click instead of boom you can simply pull the trigger again igniting what may be a hard primer or something.
They’ve had that “double strike” capability in their autos for several years now.

That said; I’ve never owned a Taurus, auto or revolver, that didn’t have to go back for work to make it function properly.
So; that Judge PD I bought years ago was my third, and final, Taurus purchase.
I won’t even look at one, and I don’t think my LGS even carries the brand any more.

Bottom line; If I won’t buy a Kimber product ever again, I damn sure won’t buy a Taurus!
And I won’t touch a Kimber… OK; I won’t own another Kimber; but I’ll still work on someone elses.

·
Registered
18,975 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
They’ve had that “double strike” capability in their autos for several years now.

That said; I’ve never owned a Taurus, auto or revolver, that didn’t have to go back for work to make it function properly.
So; that Judge PD I bought years ago was my third, and final, Taurus purchase.
I won’t even look at one, and I don’t think my LGS even carries the brand any more.

Bottom line; If I won’t buy a Kimber product ever again, I damn sure won’t buy a Taurus!
And I won’t touch a Kimber… OK; I won’t own another Kimber; but I’ll still work on someone elses.
Friend of mine recently got one and seems to like it. That’s what made me post this. I’m so deep down the 1911 hole I’ve never heard of their ‘double strike’ capability. 😬
I would never buy a Taurus either. Over 20yrs ago my mom bought a Taurus .38 revolver. She promptly went to the beach, loaded it and pointed it at herself trying to end her own life. On the very first pull the mechanism broke, hammer flopping around and same with trigger. A Jupiter police officer saw her and walked up to her. When he realized what was going on he asked her if he could help. In her state on mind she replied ‘my gun is broken?’ Saying he would look at it he asked for it which she gave him. He took it and her into his care and we got the call later. I got the gun back about two weeks later and sure enough it was broke. Divine Intervention or just a piece of junk I don’t know. Either way I’m glad she’s still here.

·
Super Moderator
32,233 Posts
Friend of mine recently got one and seems to like it. That’s what made me post this. I’m so deep down the 1911 hole I’ve never heard of their ‘double strike’ capability. 😬
I would never buy a Taurus either. Over 20yrs ago my mom bought a Taurus .38 revolver. She promptly went to the beach, loaded it and pointed it at herself trying to end her own life. On the very first pull the mechanism broke, hammer flopping around and same with trigger. A Jupiter police officer saw her and walked up to her. When he realized what was going on he asked her if he could help. In her state on mind she replied ‘my gun is broken?’ Saying he would look at it he asked for it which she gave him. He took it and her into his care and we got the call later. I got the gun back about two weeks later and sure enough it was broke. Divine Intervention or just a piece of junk I don’t know. Either way I’m glad she’s still here.
Awesome story and would run with the divine intervention angle, too! I'm also glad she's still here!(y)(y)

I've only owned one Taurus firearm ever; a PT92AF and the first pistol I ever bought for myself when in college in 1985. I didn't know any better, but Taurus had a much better reputation back then and that gun has worked flawlessly since new. I mostly used it as a home defense gun in the nightstand. I rarely shoot it anymore, just take out periodically, clean it, function test it, and put it back in storage. I've never sold any gun ever and keep it mainly for sentimental value. My collection is like Hotel California; you can checkout any time you like but you can never leave! One of my offspring will inherit it one day when I will my collection to my kids! 🤠

·
Registered
1,923 Posts
I hear all the horror stories about a Taurus firearm and how they suck. They are not the elite or cream of the crop firearms by any means. Strange though I have owned 4 and never had a problem except with a PT738...380acp. I knew many owners that had ZERO problems.. mine, a POS for sure....probably there have been at least 10 Taurus guns owned by members of my family ..including 2 38 specials. 1 owned by my mother ...a security guard for Pinkerton and my uncle a highway patrolman..no problems. If you read about a problem with a Kimber or a Colt..."ohh it is a rare occurrence",....which is not as rare as people want to let on. Even a Dan Wesson fails as ALL mechanical devices do eventually. I have a Hi Point that is over 15 years old...still 100% when I take it to the range. I have 2 Phoenix Arms...Proper ammo (low velocity) well cleaned and lubed and they will also last. Maybe.. there is a certain amount of improper care by people that own an inexpensive firearm because they are cheap, disposable firearms and that has a relationship to the problems people have with them. I will bet a Taurus G3 would not get the care and proper handling that a Dan Wesson Valor gets by most owners.

·
Registered
57,035 Posts
Awesome story and would run with the divine intervention angle, too! I'm also glad she's still here!(y)(y)

I've only owned one Taurus firearm ever; a PT92AF and the first pistol I ever bought for myself when in college in 1985. I didn't know any better, but Taurus had a much better reputation back then and that gun has worked flawlessly since new. I mostly used it as a home defense gun in the nightstand. I rarely shoot it anymore, just take out periodically, clean it, function test it, and put it back in storage. I've never sold any gun ever and keep it mainly for sentimental value. My collection is like Hotel California; you can checkout any time you like but you can never leave! One of my offspring will inherit it one day when I will my collection to my kids! 🤠
Rossi was purchased by Taurus, and their quality control of the 92 lever guns was so bad, people stopped buying them on the lever gun forum. The older Rossi lever guns are coveted over their Taurus made counterparts.

Reliability, lets see. IMO, most people carry a gun for SD and have nill chances of having to use one. Many like myself actually had constant situations on the streets where a firearm may well have been the only way to survive. Because of the nature and probability of needing one far more often than most who carry, back around 84 or so, I started running the choices I made to their puke point.

Puke point, gun cleaned/lubed for service. Fire mag after mag, case after case at times until the gun malfunctioned with no intervention [ cleaning/oiling ].

Most people don't know their firearms puke point, it takes time and money. Nor do I feel it's necessary for the average citizen who carries daily and will never use it for SD statistically. These are the people who are likely to put too much faith into a firearm they carry, and living or dying on that faith.

No thanks on Taurus', I've had the benefit of seeing which models/makers come back for warranty work working ffl's.

·
Registered
18,975 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thread wasn’t really about Taurus as much as it was the double strike capability. Wonder why other striker gun makers haven’t incorporated some form of it into their guns?

·
Registered
15,947 Posts
I find the double strike capability of the trigger interesting. Never seen this before in a striker fired gun?
There have been a number of pistols that have the "double-strike" feature.

<<<All of the DA/SA handguns in the CZ line have second strike capability including the 75, 83, P, and SP series. >>>

Others found with a quick search: Walther P99, Canik TP9 DA

Also: HK P2000 and P2000SK

I'm sure there are more.

Reactions: 7.62Kolectr
1 - 12 of 12 Posts