Florida Concealed Carry banner
41 - 60 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
304 Posts
I am guilty of focusing on quick shooting at 7-10 yards to the exclusion of anything further for a LONG time; however I corrected that earlier this year and began to include at least some shooting past 7-10 yards.

The indoor range where I've been going limits me to 25 yards.

These were 10 round groups slow fire at head then center, unsupported, freehand.
The Glock 34 did not have a dot on it yet, so that is with stock fixed sights.
I had just put the dot on the 35 and subsequently tweaked it.
Wheel White Product Azure Automotive design

Head Shoulder Wheel Azure Neck

That addresses targets and distance.
Mission? Wherever: Hopefully stop attacker(s) before they can inflict serious or lethal injury to me.

·
Registered
7,473 Posts
Nice groupings. (y)

Next time I go I’m bringing my 34s to try at 22 yards which is the furthest my range goes.

·
Registered
4,599 Posts
I tried one of Racer's P-80 builds with a dot optic last time out at the range.
My performance with it? Not so great.
Takes some getting used to, I suppose.

For me, it's Glock stock sights. "Put the dot in the bucket", and all that...
Good enough under 20 yards.

·
Registered
10,092 Posts
Nnnope. But apparently in starting this thread you thought yours did?
Your first comment in Racers thread was what you meant. Apologize or not it was wrong.
On the 1911Addicts forum members every month post a new drill. Many take it up and post their pics, targets and times if requested. No winners, no losers just friendly drills. Nobody has ever criticized another member, not once.
This is exactly right. 👍

Reactions: BeerHunter

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #46 ·
This is exactly right. 👍
Again, I'm genuinely saddened that folks feel that way. I find myself on gun forums for two primary reasons, to become better and to help others become better. Stroking someone condescendingly rather than pointing out things that might genuinely help them improve accomplishes neither. In fact, it is more likely to exacerbate their not knowing what they don't know, and Dunning-Kruger carrying the day than anything positive. I save the congratulatory back-slapping for genuine jobs well done.

·
Registered
10,092 Posts
Again, I'm genuinely saddened that folks feel that way. I find myself on gun forums for two primary reasons, to become better and to help others become better. Stroking someone condescendingly rather than pointing out things that might genuinely help them improve accomplishes neither. In fact, it is more likely to exacerbate their not knowing what they don't know, and Dunning-Kruger carrying the day than anything positive. I save the congratulatory back-slapping for genuine jobs well done.
Mike:
My comment wasn’t directed at you.
I was agreeing with 7.62’s comment about the 1911 Addicts forum, which I’ve since gone back and “bolded” to make it clearer:
“On the 1911Addicts forum members every month post a new drill. Many take it up and post their pics, targets and times if requested. No winners, no losers just friendly drills. Nobody has ever criticized another member, not once.”

Reactions: BeerHunter

·
Registered
18,705 Posts
Wasn’t your response but instead how you said it.
Tell my son that all the time ‘think before you speak’ ‘are the words you’re fixin to say going to come out right or be taken the wrong way?’
There’s a difference between constructive criticism and an insult even if the words you say are the same.

·
Registered
56,821 Posts
Tell my son that all the time ‘think before you speak’ ‘are the words you’re fixin to say going to come out right or be taken the wrong way?’
There’s a difference between constructive criticism and an insult even if the words you say are the same.
You can please some of the people some of the time but not all the people all the time. ;)

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #52 ·
Yes. You're right. I'm sorry.

That approach seldom works with my wife, either.

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #53 ·
Wasn’t looking for alternatives.
When you’re done shhlmeel and shabbatin why not give what racer did a try and post it?
All done with Shabbat, Havdalah and that virus (not the virus), so here you go. Twenty-five yards from concealment, ten rounds, Glock 17, 10.1 seconds. As I mentioned earlier, I don't care for the B27 target at distance. I put a TDI silhouette over the target I actually shot to demonstrate why. My follow-up shots go when the dot covers COM, which in this case is the green. One went a bit high, still inside the vertical nine line, while two more went low. Had I shot this on the silhouette rather than the B27, my hits would have been tighter, but my time would have been slower. Not exceptional shooting, by a stretch, but still good enough for the purposes of this conversation.
Green Human body Rectangle Gas Art
Botany Leaf Organism Grass Rectangle

·
Registered
18,705 Posts
Racer did his drill with his carry gun, a 10-round, double stack forty cal. My carry gun is a seven +1 single stack .45. I don't own a forty. Whatever shall we do now?
All done with Shabbat, Havdalah and that virus (not the virus), so here you go. Twenty-five yards from concealment, ten rounds, Glock 17, 10.1 seconds. As I mentioned earlier, I don't care for the B27 target at distance. I put a TDI silhouette over the target I actually shot to demonstrate why. My follow-up shots go when the dot covers COM, which in this case is the green. One went a bit high, still inside the vertical nine line, while two more went low. Had I shot this on the silhouette rather than the B27, my hits would have been tighter, but my time would have been slower. Not exceptional shooting, by a stretch, but still good enough for the purposes of this conversation. View attachment 76946 View attachment 76947
Good shooting but the purpose of the drill is to use what you daily carry. A G17 is no different than me using my Les Baer. Where’s the 7+1 edc?

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
After this big Mall shooting, I set up a 40 yard opening steel target (man sized) on our final IDPA stage on Monday night.

It was simple.

You downloaded to TWO ROUNDS in the gun to start. This "simulated" a limp wrist malfunction in a "panic" situation.

Anyway, you could not leave the starting box until you hit the 40 yard steel target, at which time you could continue on through the remainder of the course of fire.

Surprisingly, EVERYBODY hit the 40 yard steel within two shots. I was expecting some of the Glock 26 sized guns to have some trouble but they cleared it nicely.

So, chalk up one for the IDPA guys that we've got shooting every Monday night out here!

AD (of course I got it on the first shot. :) )

Reactions: Rick McC.

·
Registered
13,677 Posts
I just shot both antennae off a gnat at 75 yards in 5 seconds with my carry gun. I’d show pictures but the little bastids ol’ lady had him cremated. :cool:

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #57 ·
Good shooting but the purpose of the drill is to use what you daily carry. A G17 is no different than me using my Les Baer. Where’s the 7+1 edc?
Today, I'm carrying the Glock 17.

Perhaps I'll do it with a Shield Since the arbitrary standard is eight hits, I'll simply load the Shield with a 7+1 set-up. That will still get me eight hits, which seems to be the good-to-go number.

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #58 ·
Surprisingly, EVERYBODY hit the 40 yard steel within two shots. I was expecting some of the Glock 26 sized guns to have some trouble but they cleared it nicely.

So, chalk up one for the IDPA guys that we've got shooting every Monday night out here!

AD (of course I got it on the first shot. :) )
That's surprising from regular IDPA shooters?

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #60 ·
I put the Les Glock away and shot this one with the Shield .45 that I'm carrying today. I shot on steel because, well, as I stated in my original post that I prefer steel at this particular distance. Eight shots fired at tweny-five yards in 12.88 seconds from concealment. Not great, by a stretch, but adequate to satisfy the standards I have set for myself. One round hit right on the left edge about halfway up from the bottom. To that hit's immediate right, two hits close together, one above the other. Eight rounds, eight hits in the allotted time.

Lest there be any confusion, I re-post the pic of the silhouette overlaying the B27. If I'm not shooting Brownie drills or ranges beyond sixty yards or so, I don't like shooting B27s.
Plant Grass Musical instrument Font Artifact
Green Red Font Gas Rectangle

41 - 60 of 66 Posts