Florida Concealed Carry banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have over 20 acres in Santa Rosa County, FL. I have occasionally done some target practice there. Recently, a friend used it. As he was leaving the area, a Sheriff's car passed him headed to my land. There's a possibility a neighbor called them.

I know there are very knowledgeable people here. What are the laws concerning target practice and land usage? Does the land have to be zoned a particular designation? Does it have to be a minimum size? Does it have to be a minimum distance from adjacent properties/homes?

I'd appreciate any guidance or links to laws/regulation.

·
Registered
10,558 Posts
I have over 20 acres in Santa Rosa County, FL. I have occasionally done some target practice there. Recently, a friend used it. As he was leaving the area, a Sheriff's car passed him headed to my land. There's a possibility a neighbor called them.

I know there are very knowledgeable people here. What are the laws concerning target practice and land usage? Does the land have to be zoned a particular designation? Does it have to be a minimum size? Does it have to be a minimum distance from adjacent properties/homes?

I'd appreciate any guidance or links to laws/regulation.
According to Florida Statute 790.15, Discharging firearm in public, as long as you do NOT discharge a firearm in any public place, or on the right-of-way of any paved public road, highway, or street or knowingly discharge a firearm over the right-of-way of any paved public road, highway, or street or over any occupied premises, you are not in violation of the law.

But, do NOT take any legal advice you get from a website, if in doubt you should contact an Attorney at Law.

http://www.flsenate.gov/Laws/Statutes/2010/790.15

790.15 Discharging firearm in public.—

1) Except as provided in subsection (2) or subsection (3), any person who knowingly discharges a firearm in any public place or on the right-of-way of any paved public road, highway, or street or whosoever knowingly discharges any firearm over the right-of-way of any paved public road, highway, or street or over any occupied premises is guilty of a misdemeanor of the first degree,

·
Registered
8,752 Posts
Also make sure you are not in a area that no firearms are to be used. As in I live in Palm Beach County and no firing of firearms are allowed east of 20 mile bend unless in corbett area if I remember correctly.

·
Registered
8,752 Posts

·
Registered
10,558 Posts
Also make sure you are not in a area that no firearms are to be used. As in I live in Palm Beach County and no firing of firearms are allowed east of 20 mile bend unless in corbett area if I remember correctly.
According to Florida Statute 790.25, Lawful ownership, possession, and use of firearms and other weapons, 790.15 (Discharging firearm in public) shall supersede any law, ordinance, or regulation in conflict herewith.

http://www.flsenate.gov/Laws/Statutes/2010/790.25

Florida Statute 790.25, Lawful ownership, possession, and use of firearms and other weapons.

(1) DECLARATION OF POLICY.—The Legislature finds as a matter of public policy and fact that it is necessary to promote firearms safety and to curb and prevent the use of firearms and other weapons in crime and by incompetent persons without prohibiting the lawful use in defense of life, home, and property, and the use by United States or state military organizations, and as otherwise now authorized by law, including the right to use and own firearms for target practice and marksmanship on target practice ranges or other lawful places, and lawful hunting and other lawful purposes.

(3) LAWFUL USES.—The provisions of ss. 790.053 and 790.06 do not apply in the following instances, and, despite such sections, it is lawful for the following persons to own, possess, and lawfully use firearms and other weapons, ammunition, and supplies for lawful purposes:

(j) A person firing weapons for testing or target practice under safe conditions and in a safe place not prohibited by law or going to or from such place;

(4) CONSTRUCTION.—This act shall be liberally construed to carry out the declaration of policy herein and in favor of the constitutional right to keep and bear arms for lawful purposes. This act is supplemental and additional to existing rights to bear arms now guaranteed by law and decisions of the courts of Florida, and nothing herein shall impair or diminish any of such rights. This act shall supersede any law, ordinance, or regulation in conflict herewith.

·
Registered
8,752 Posts
(j) A person firing weapons for testing or target practice under safe conditions and in a safe place not prohibited by law or going to or from such place.

On my private property, an acre, into a sand berm 10ft high and 6 ft deep. Would this consist of a "safe place" on my land? just curious?

Would the state statue agree with me?

my bad

·
Registered
136 Posts
I don't believe that noise ordinances fall under the pre-emption. If they want to stop you, they will find a way — legal or not.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I am an NRA firearms instructor in Holmes County and have a firing range on my property. When it comes time to use the firearms, I notify the local law enforcement agency and advise them that if they have any reports of shots fired in my area it would be more than likely me and my students. No worries so far. I did get a visit once from a Deputy and he was happy with my range.

·
Registered
10,558 Posts
I am an NRA firearms instructor in Holmes County and have a firing range on my property. When it comes time to use the firearms, I notify the local law enforcement agency and advise them that if they have any reports of shots fired in my area it would be more than likely me and my students. No worries so far. I did get a visit once from a Deputy and he was happy with my range.
Excellent example on how to cooperate with the local LEOs. :thumsup

1 - 9 of 9 Posts