Florida Concealed Carry banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All, I figured I'd come to the best place on the net for answers on the best ammunition for my newly purchased side by side shotgun. :)

1. I'd like to try shooting some slug shots, and for this I believe I need a rifled slug, correct? - for this I'm leaning towards the Winchester Super-X Power Point Rifled Slug. Would anyone have any other recommendations?

2. What other types would be fun for practice shooting? - Buckshot or Birdshot? Also, what particular ammunition is best for skeet?

3. Finally, I'd love to hear some advice on making some interesting targets with stuff from, say, Home Depot for the aforementioned ammunition...

Thanks for reading, and I can't wait to hear your suggestions!

R.

·
Registered
10,569 Posts
I tend to use low recoil loads in 00 buck to practice with due to availale at low cost everywhere and use this same load for SD for home. Practice with what your going to use. As for skeet, never heard of Bad Guy called a skeet but we can go with it.:grin

·
Registered
4,531 Posts
Where are you shooting at,what are you shooting at, and at what distance? I ask because some indoor ranges I go to restrict me only to slugs because people shoot the roof too much. Outdoor ranges are usually not a problem. If that is not a problem the sky is the limit on ammo selection.

If you have a smooth bore shotgun and want to try slugs you need rifled slugs. Rifled shotguns use Sabot slugs. Do you have a choke installed on the barrel? If so you will need to adjust it accordingly.

Are you looking for good ammo or just some cheap ammo that goes bang for lots of practice? I picked up some centurion slugs recently for a good price. 250 for about $95 Shipped. About half what I was paying at wally world.
http://www.sgammo.com/product/centurion/250-rds-20-gauge-centurion-rifled-slug

Bird and buckshot are also fun to shoot. For Standard skeet No 9 shot usually works the best, but No 8 is easier to find.

There are even exotic ammo you have shoot like buck in ball. I know Centurion makes a few weird ones. All are fun to shoot. The nice thing about shotguns is you can show up to the range with five different kinds of ammo.

I use this website to check ammo prices online vs what I see in the stores since it also include shipping and price per round.
http://gun-deals.com/ammo.php

And if for some reason you want to see ammo types and penetration check out this thread at shotgun world. These forums cover about every topic on shotguns from hunting to tactical to clay pigeons. A lot of good information there to help you out.

http://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=109958

Enjoy your new shotgun. They are a lot of fun with tons of ammo choices. Add if it beats your shoulder up too much, look into a Limbsaver recoil pad :dancingbanana

I want to try this kind of skeet, don't know what range would let me though.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts