Florida Concealed Carry banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

· Registered
5,580 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Haven't seen any discussion on these yet. Pros? Cons? Anybody got any pratical training with these or know where to get it besides the military? Does anybody carry one?

· Registered
3,916 Posts
A buddy of mine sells them to Fort Bragg guys when they deploy. If interested send me a PM

· Registered
5,580 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Just thought I'd post it up and get opinions on it. I know there are certain motorcycle gangs that ride with ball peen hammers and all but just thought I'd ask about the tomahawks since it hasn't come up in discussions many times.

· Registered
10,518 Posts
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hlly6TyXdec&feature=related

I have a couple of hawks, one is just like the Cold Steel Frontier hawk that I purchased from Flying Hawks who threw in training, pardon the pun. the other is a Sid Hill-Hibben that is geared more for SD and is very light. I also have the Cold Steel Spetznaz shovel. Once you get the basics on hawk throwing all others are about the same. Primitive weapons are very quite and useful. I also have a Cold Steel Boar spear that is good out to 50' or more with adrenaline.:rolf

· Registered
785 Posts
Reminds me of Mel Gibson in The Patriot.

I have one tomahawk, but it's not a real good one. And a Cold Steel assegai.

Never have thrown the 'hawk, but have messed around with a hatchet. I can always throw it down by my side and "bury the hatchet" the same way every time, but have never really tried throwing at targets some distance in front of me. Want to though.

· Registered
313 Posts
I bought a few throwing hawks a few years ago,but to be honest haven't thrown them much--(neighbors already wondered about me:aarg).My only advice is order an extra handle if and or when the original one breaks as you practising throwing.I also read where the length of the handle should be the same as your forearm.My hawk handles are a little longer and what little time I have spent throwing them seem to be a good length for throwing.I'm from Wisconsin and some of the outdoor ranges will have a blackpowder range set up with tree stumps cut out and hung up by chains as a target to throw at.

· Registered
10,518 Posts
Don't know how useful they are for us civillian types....but they are wayyyyyyyy cool!
Should always have a plan B & C, Meet force with force, I would rather have as many options available as possible because not every encounter with BG can be solved with a firearm. Look into primitive weapons fighting and go from there, you know you want to.:D Plus it is part of my heritage of being half Native American:thumsup

· Registered
5,580 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
bump...

· Registered
16,782 Posts
So, now I have to carry an axe?
You don't HAVE to...but..wouldn't be cool???

Sent from my SCH-R720 using Tapatalk

Reactions: artemis

· Registered
58,170 Posts
I've got a fighting hawk that's custom made damascus by a guy in Ohio who trained smithy work with Bill Bagwell as his mentor,, named Greg Covington [ no longer making knives ].

This bowie is it's companion, made as a matched set. Don't have photos of the hawk. I've got some hawk throwing training, couple of hours of that, then a few more hours on traps, hooks and savagery with it's edge. If you have some blade skills, the hawks fairly easy to pick up and use for SD

Attachments

· Banned
11,156 Posts
First of all, tomahawks, hatchets and axes are not throwing weapons, per se; any more than a knife is. The same is true of spears [javelins are, in fact a throwing weapon]. All are designed to be used in the hand. Tactical tomahawks, those with both a blade and a spike or hammer on the poll do double duty as both a tool and a weapon. In combat, they provide more power than a knife while being easier to use and sturdier than a sword or machete. They are generally sturdier than a hatchet, but the latter is nearly as effective and is less likely to be seen as a weapon, rather than a tool. Having a hatchet or hawk, and knowing how to use it, can be a very valuable skill, especially if you may be spending time in the wild.

Tomahawk fighting techniques relatively simple and are easily mastered. These techniques include throwing, but throwing the tomahawk is usually a last ditch option and it suggested that the thrower have a second hawk or other weapon.

Reactions: bladenbullet

· Registered
3,806 Posts
All kinds of throwing action using bowie and hawks on the show Top Shots on Discovery.

· Registered
21,770 Posts
i would have a hard time throwing away a perfectly good weapon unless i had a pile of them handy...

· Registered
21,770 Posts

· Administrator
32,986 Posts
What are the laws for carrying one tho? (Specifically in Florida)
Welcome to FCC from Palm Beach County, mmar186! 🍻

Since this was your very first post to FCC, in a 14 year old thread[/] without first introducing yourself as described in this thread, please now take the time to properly post you're own Introduction to FCC, letting forum members get to know you a little, particularly with regard to our inherent right to keep and bear arms. You can do that by going to the Introduce Yourself section of the Welcome to Florida Concealed Carry section and starting your very own introduction thread. Then you'll find that lots of other FCC members will know to chime in to properly welcome you to the forum, and will be more responsive in answering your questions! Also, if you're a veteran, take a look at our Military Service Thread where you'll find many of us there, too!

In case you weren't aware, you can stay current on pertinent Florida Statutes regarding use "justified use of force" and "firearms law" by going right to the source using these links for Chapter 776 - Justifiable Use of Force and Chapter 790 - Weapons and Firearms, respectively. I'd also like to suggest you obtain your own copy of FLORIDA FIREARMS Law, Use & Ownership by Jon Gutmacher!

Again, welcome to FCC! :cool:

1 - 20 of 38 Posts