Florida Concealed Carry banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is probably a dumb question, But the debate came up at work today. Does our FL CCW allow us to carry a Stiletto switch blade?

·
Registered
104 Posts
As far as I know it is not even legal to possess one according to federal law. Years ago only LEOs could legally buy them but now anyone can buy them at many gun shops and shows. I don't think the law against them is enforced at all. If you have a ccw in FL and you are a resident it covers weapons, not only guns. Non residents or reciprocal agreements from other states may limit your permissions to guns only. I think that is right but I may be wrong. I was wrong once before.

·
Registered
343 Posts
As far as I know it is not even legal to possess one according to federal law.
Not true. Federal law restricts certain interstate commerce and transportation of switchblades, with exemptions for certain individuals.

Every one I have was bought on line from an out of state vendor and shipped to me, but not via the US Mail.

There are some online vendors, who by policy will not sell to non LEO or non military. But there are many, many more that will sell to ordinary individuals, often at better prices.

No idea exactly what is legal or illegal as far as buying across state lines.

But they are fully legal to posses and carry in Florida. There are some who claim you don't even need a CWFL - citing the "common pocketknife" exemption. Personally, I wouldn't rely on that as a defense. There won't be any problems if you are licensed.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Not true. Federal law restricts certain interstate commerce and transportation of switchblades, with exemptions for certain individuals.

Every one I have was bought on line from an out of state vendor and shipped to me, but not via the US Mail.

There are some online vendors, who by policy will not sell to non LEO or non military. But there are many, many more that will sell to ordinary individuals, often at better prices.

No idea exactly what is legal or illegal as far as buying across state lines.

But they are fully legal to posses and carry in Florida. There are some who claim you don't even need a CWFL - citing the "common pocketknife" exemption. Personally, I wouldn't rely on that as a defense. There won't be any problems if you are licensed.
Dammit ! That makes it twice I was wrong ! :banghead Thanks for setting me straight on that. :thumsup

·
Banned
4,530 Posts
The Courts would disagree ............ :thumsup

IN THE DISTRICT COURT OF APPEAL OF THE STATE OF FLORIDA
FIFTH DISTRICT JANUARY TERM 2010
K.H., A CHILD,
Appellant,
v. Case No. 5D09-2097
STATE OF FLORIDA,
Appellee.
________________________________/
Opinion filed March 5, 2010

·
Registered
4,919 Posts
In Florida it is legal to own an auto knife without a CWFL. If you want to carry it, then you DO need a CWFL.

·
Registered
2,201 Posts
In Florida it is legal to own an auto knife without a CWFL. If you want to carry it, then you DO need a CWFL.
Yep! All good. Palm Beach County is hostile to them, though.

·
Registered
2,690 Posts
Yep! All good. Palm Beach County is hostile to them, though.
Which is perfectly OK, correct? The state has only preempted firearms regulations.

·
Registered
21,082 Posts
What does this mean?
it means local governments can have different laws than states regarding knives because florida preemption only covers firearms...not other weapons...therefore what is legal where you live may not be someplace else...

·
Registered
994 Posts
it means local governments can have different laws than states regarding knives because florida preemption only covers firearms...not other weapons...therefore what is legal where you live may not be someplace else...
BS, Florida State law trumps local law. It is perfectly legal to carry an automatic knife anywhere in Florida provided you follow the same requirments of firearms or any other weapons. Florida issues a Concealed Weapons permt, i,e knife, brass knuckles, handgun, shotgun, ASPs etc. The only requirement is that it be concealed and you follow the prohibitions called out by the state and the FEDs. Buying Automatic knives is legal in Florida if you buy from a supplier in Florida. If you buy or try to buy out of state you are in violation of Federal Interstate Commerce regulations unless you are active military, Leo's etc.

·
Registered
2,690 Posts
BS, Florida State law trumps local law. It is perfectly legal to carry an automatic knife in Florida provided you follow the same requirments of firearms or any other weapon. Florida issues a Concealed Weapons permt, i,e knife, brass knuckles, gun shotgun, ASPs etc. The only requirement is that it be concealed and you follow the prohibitions called out by the staate and the FEDs. Buying Automatic knives is legal in Florida if you buy from a supplier in Florida. If you buy or try to buy out of state you are in violation Federal Interstate Commerce regulations unless you are active military, Leo's etc.
BS, Florida State law trumps local law. It is perfectly legal to carry an automatic knife in Florida provided you follow the same requirments of firearms or any other weapon
You are mistaken. Localities are free to regulate non-firearm weapons in any manner they wish.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Sounds like someone needs to cite specific local ordinances against switchblades, and specific case outcomes.

·
Super Moderator
19,799 Posts
Sounds like someone needs to cite specific local ordinances against switchblades, and specific case outcomes.
He didn't say there were any, he said there could be. Up to you to do your own homework.

brboyer is correct (big surprise).

The State only claims preemption over firearms laws. All else is subject to regulation at the municipal level.

The State has no law against automatic knives, but counties/cities just might. My tri-county metro area does not, but I don't carry autos any more, for a variety of reasons.

·
Registered
2,690 Posts
He didn't say there were any, he said there could be. Up to you to do your own homework.

The State only claims preemption over firearms laws. All else is subject to regulation at the municipal level.

The State has no law against automatic knives, but counties/cities just might. My tri-county metro area does not, but I don't carry autos any more, for a variety of reasons.
Well, he's a newbie and may not yet understand that fact about my posts!

And just because I'm feeling generous tonight:

Miami-Dade County
Sec. 21-14. - Dangerous weapons; penalty; trial court.
. . .
(b) Switch blades. It shall be unlawful for any person to sell, offer to sell, display, use, possess or carry any knife or knives having the appearance of a pocket knife, the blade or blades of which can be opened by a flick of a button, pressure on the handle, or other mechanical contrivance. Any such knife is hereby declared to be a dangerous or deadly weapon, within the meaning of subsection (a) and shall be subject to forfeiture to the County as provided by subsection (c).
. . .

1 - 20 of 43 Posts