Florida Concealed Carry banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I was at the range last week, working on getting my new 1911 past its "confidence break-in" period (It doesn't need a break-in, but I'd like to get at least 500 rounds through it before carrying it, so that I can carry it confidently knowing that it will function should I need it to), and my sweaty palms started to become an issue.

Nerves aren't my problem. The Marine Corps would have gotten that out of my system a long time ago. The issue was the heat in the shooting area. It was easily 115 degrees in there, no kidding! And as if the sweat dripping down my (everything and everywhere) wasn't enough, my hands kept slipping from each other and out of my two handed grip with every shot, causing me to have to readjust it after every single shot, or to have to put the pistol down to wipe my hands dry on my jeans before continuing. :thumbsdwn

Anyways, I started thinking that some shooting gloves would be a pretty great idea, possibly just on my support hand, since I had no real issues with the grip on the pistol.

Do any of you guys have any suggestions on a particular set of gloves or otherwise? Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
7,995 Posts
If you want to try gloves WalMart, during hunting season, sells real thin shooters' gloves. I use them on cold mornings, like a second skin with more grip. Bout 12 bucks

·
Registered
2,690 Posts
I use some stuff that weightlifters use...cannot remember the name and don't have any close by, but it's not a powder. It's more like the texture of ground corncob tumbling media, thus does not mess up your hands, like some other stuff can.

·
Registered
88 Posts
I use some stuff that weightlifters use...cannot remember the name and don't have any close by, but it's not a powder. It's more like the texture of ground corncob tumbling media, thus does not mess up your hands, like some other stuff can.
Not sure if this is the stuff, but here is a link for Liquid Grip: http://liquidgrip.com/store/
From what they say, the 1.5 oz bottle is good for about 30 applications.

·
Super Moderator
19,792 Posts
If it's that much of a problem, a simple dry-stick or gel anitperspirant works well.

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
If you want to try gloves WalMart, during hunting season, sells real thin shooters' gloves. I use them on cold mornings, like a second skin with more grip. Bout 12 bucks
That sounds good.

If it's that much of a problem, a simple dry-stick or gel anitperspirant works well.
First time I've found it that hot at the range. Aside from the weather, it might have had something to do with the number of people at the range that day and the heat they and their firearms were generating. And I'm not sure why, but I don't like the idea of applying something to my palms.

·
Registered
6,262 Posts
That sounds good.

First time I've found it that hot at the range. Aside from the weather, it might have had something to do with the number of people at the range that day and the heat they and their firearms were generating. And I'm not sure why, but I don't like the idea of applying something to my palms.
Well in the summer it is good, in the winter, not good.

But my hands or feet do not sweat! Never have, but my Glocks have had the addition of skate board tape for years, would that help you?

My EDC is, and has been since they came out, the RTF1 with the the Gills, as in G19. Of course the spikes are real sharp! Might need blunting a bit, mine did. But forget sweat being a problem, the pistol is not slipping.

Quite a problem in an indoor range, but could be fatal, in the case of needing a fist full of pistol, in a hurry, socially.

My problem shooting outdoors at a match, sweat (read salt) in the eyes.

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well in the summer it is good, in the winter, not good.

But my hands or feet do not sweat! Never have, but my Glocks have had the addition of skate board tape for years, would that help you?

My EDC is, and has been since they came out, the RTF1 with the the Gills, as in G19. Of course the spikes are real sharp! Might need blunting a bit, mine did. But forget sweat being a problem, the pistol is not slipping.

Quite a problem in an indoor range, but could be fatal, in the case of needing a fist full of pistol, in a hurry, socially.

My problem shooting outdoors at a match, sweat (read salt) in the eyes.
I'm firing 1911's. Looking into getting new grip panels, but money's not good right now (I'm trying really hard to not go into a rant about how Geico upped by car insurance by $40 after I turned 25...). Also, it's not that my palms sweat, it was every inch of my skin, including my palms. The pistol wasn't going anywhere though. It was my support hand. It kept slipping loose and forcing me to adjust my two-handed grip after every single shot.

·
Registered
877 Posts
It was my support hand. It kept slipping loose and forcing me to adjust my two-handed grip after every single shot.
Sounds like a technique issue. I'm not say you are doing this, but I see a lot of people just resting thier off hand up against the side of the frame or worse, cup and saucering it, and not really integrated into the grip. Once the freestyle grip is established it should be one unit, like a vise and the off hand shouldn't slip off. There needs to be enough meat of the support hand on the backstrap. For a right handed shooter, the shooting hand pulls diagonally left front to right rear and the off hand should lock into the shooting hands fingers and wrap around the grip pulling from right front to left rear. The grip is wrapped all the way around with no gaps. If done this way, there's no way the hands can seperate. The gun might squirm if your sweaty and you don't have enough tension, but the grip shouldn't separate.

I also use skateboard tape.

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Sounds like a technique issue. I'm not say you are doing this, but I see a lot of people just resting thier off hand up against the side of the frame or worse, cup and saucering it, and not really integrated into the grip. Once the freestyle grip is established it should be one unit, like a vise and the off hand shouldn't slip off. There needs to be enough meat of the support hand on the backstrap. For a right handed shooter, the shooting hand pulls diagonally left front to right rear and the off hand should lock into the shooting hands fingers and wrap around the grip pulling from right front to left rear. The grip is wrapped all the way around with no gaps. If done this way, there's no way the hands can seperate. The gun might squirm if your sweaty and you don't have enough tension, but the grip shouldn't separate.

I also use skateboard tape.
Well it did.

It was like 115 degrees (possibly higher) at the range, had about 75 rounds through my 1911 (it was "warm" enough), and I was sweating out of every pore. As wet as they kept becoming, there's not way my palms wouldn't have slipped off of each other. Has nothing to do with the grip technique.

·
Registered
877 Posts
1 - 14 of 14 Posts