Florida Concealed Carry banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
A little while back I started doing some research on suppressor covers to find out if it was a viable option to actually place one on a can without it melting from the high heat produced by the suppressor.
I searched the internet high and low, far and wide, I searched almost all firearm forums and what I came up with was that just about every single suppressor cover will eventually fail if you heat it enough.

Well considering the fact that I am not in the habit of dumping mag after mag through my AR I figure I'm safe and don't really have to worry so much about melting one onto the suppressor as long as I monitor my rate of fire and successive rate.

What I have finally decided on is the FTW-HAD by Riflesonly.com.
The internal core is rated to 3000˚ and the cover is somewhere around 2000˚ with the HAD (Heat Abatement Device).

I just received it in the mail today and I must say that I am truly impressed with the quality and craftsmanship of this product.
Tomorrow I'll take it to the range and test it on my Surefire SOCOM556-RC suppressor to see how well it holds up to the heat.

In the mean time I would love to hear what your experience is with suppressor covers and how well have they held up for you.

IMG_9252.jpg

·
Registered
3,960 Posts
And the purpose of a suppressor cover is what?

I don't claim any expertise in suppressors; but, I've never heard of a cover for one. - appearance? - burn protection?

Edit -

Just Googled it:
From Armageddon suppressors website - "significantly reduces and delays the effects of suppressor mirage on the rifleman's ability to identify and engage his target."

O.K. I can see where use on a rifle with thermal imaging sights a heat cover on the supressor might be almost essential - would the heat even effect scope images and sighting accuracy?

As you can tell I have no long-range rifle expertise - learned something new today.

·
Banned
8,392 Posts
And the purpose of a suppressor cover is what?

I don't claim any expertise in suppressors; but, I've never heard of a cover for one. - appearance? - burn protection?
I would imagine when you go to take the can off you don't want to get burned!

Also heat signature?

·
Registered
3,960 Posts
I would imagine when you go to take the can off you don't want to get burned!

Also heat signature?

Yeah! You'd probably stand out like a neon sign on somebody's thermal imaging device!? Hadn't thought about that.

·
Registered
3,016 Posts
Price doesnt look that bad...hmm...

Let us know how it works when you get to test it. Ive been looking for a decent cover for a while now.

·
Banned
3,837 Posts
Inquiring minds want to know.

·
Registered
13,731 Posts
You will have a heat signature regardless of Suppressor Cover, especially anyone using thermo goggles. The main problem with suppressors covers is what it does to the metal qualities of the gun and suppressor. As in retains heat and causes rust.....

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
My reason for the suppressor cover is for reducing the mirage effect but more importantly it keeps you safe from the red-hot can when you sling it between your legs to switch to a sidearm.
Another positive point is that when I'm done shooting for the day I don't have to sit around for a half hour waiting for the suppressor to cool down enough to transport it safely.
As for the suppressor rusting because of the cover, I've never heard of such a thing. You don't leave the cover on permanently, you remove it once the can cools down.

·
Registered
16,636 Posts
I've been looking for something like this. They do heat up and heat waves do obstruct view of target.
But I've yet to find one thin enough to make front end look huge.
Put that thing on the can/gun and take a pic. Let's see how it looks.

·
Registered
16,636 Posts
It is an incredible amount of heat on a well shot one.
However the 5.56 mini I have will be blistering hot after less than ten rounds. While I can shoot a whole mag thru my .300blk and still be able to twist it off. Subsonics for sure. The supers make it hot but not like the mini and not so fast. I guess that the combo of the blast from the 5.56 and the fact I'm using a 'mini' can makes it heat up much quicker. The full size can I have for the .300 takes a while to get HOT.
But yes both do get so hot a hand would literally stick and blister onto it if you grabbed it unknowingly. It will melt thru most rifle cases if you set it in there too soon as well.
They are dangerous in that regard.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I highly recommend this suppressor cover:

http://www.subguns.org/products/covers/

Office: (503) 992-8697
Griptastic™/SUPCOV™ High-Temp Silicone Suppressor Covers
(Patented)
Bowers Group suppressor covers are custom extruded from high-temperature silicone.
Black with some coyote brown choices, all are made with pride in the USA.
Suppressors can get dangerously hot fast. More than one of us has left skin on a hot
suppressor and has the scars to show for it. Precision
shooters will experience rapid onset of severe mirage.
Transition drills will burn your legs. Suppressor heat glows brightly in
IR viewers. Hot suppressors can’t be removed, even with expensive
“quick detach” mounts. Bag-type Nomex covers will keep you and
your gear from being burned, but they will also slip and they hold in
the heat even longer than if you had no cover. Our covers provide simple and professional solutions to
all of these problems. Protect yourself, your suppressors and the rest of your gear with these covers.
They have been carefully engineered to provide everything you need in a suppressor cover; they’re
non-slip, low profile, a highly effective insulator, provide IR reduction, encourage cooling through
convection by allowing airflow under the cover and are soft and “grippy” to the touch. You can dump a
mag through a can on your M16 and unscrew it instead of waiting ten minutes.
We have covers for all of the most common suppressor sizes. If the exact length you’d like isn’t listed,
buy the slightly longer version and you can easily trim it to length with a razor blade. These are sized
for length/coefficient of friction, so you cannot cut a cover in half and expect it to still fit correctly.
Selection: Model designations indicate the suppressor diameter in inches “X” the suppressor length in
inches. Thus, Model 1X5 is for suppressors one inch in diameter and the
cover is five inches long. CB indicates Coyote Brown.
Model
Price Common Usage
1X5
$35
Fits most very short .22 suppressors (1” X 5”)
1X6
$35
Fits most common, longer .22 suppressors (1” X 6”)
1.375 X 7.5 $35
Fits Octane 9 and some others (1.375” X 7.5”)
1.375 X 8.5 $35
Fits Octane 45 and some others (1.375” X 8.5”)
1.375X14.5CB$45
Coyote Brown, for the U.S. Army M110 SASS (1.375” X 14.5”)
1.5X6.5
$35
Fits most short .223 and .30 suppressors (1.5” X 6.5”)
1.5X6.5CB $35
Coyote Brown, fits most short .223 and .30 suppressors (1.5” X 6.5”)
1.5X7
$35
Fits most mid-length .223 and .30 suppressors (1.5” X 7”)
1.5X7CB
$35
Coyote Brown,
Mid-length .223 and .30 cover (1.5” X 7”)
1.5X8
$35
Fits slightly longer .223 and .30 suppressors (1.5” X 8”)
1.5X8.5
$35
Fits most longer .223 and .30 suppressors (1.5” X 8.5”)
1.5X9.5
$35
Fits even longer .223 and .30 suppressors (1.5” X 9.5”)
1.5X9.5CB $35
Coyote Brown, Fits even longer .223 and .30 suppressors (1.5” X 9.5”)
1.5X12
$45
Fits the longest .223 and .30 suppressors (1.5” X 12”)
1.5X12CB $45
Coyote Brown,
fits the longest .223 and .30 suppressors (1.5” X 12”)
1.625X8.5 $35
Fits 1.625” diameter .223 and .30 suppressors (1.625” X 8.5”)
1.625X10
$35
Fits longer 1.625” diameter .223 and .30 suppressors (1.625” X 10”)
1.75X7
$35
Fits Bowers Vers series, single stage Sionics (1.75” X 7”), two stage Sionics front
1.75X9.25 $45
Most Vers series, AAC Titan, etc. (1.75” X 9.25”)
1.75X9.25CB $45
Coyote Brown, most Vers series, AAC Titan, etc. (1.75” X 9.25”)
1.75X10.5 $45
Most Vers series, other 1.75” cans (1.75” X 10.5”)
2X12CB
$55
Coyote Brown, fits
2” diameter suppressors. (2” X 12”)

No cloth or Nomex. Feels right, good grip and a proven winner. In my book Bower's products are great with customer service second to none!

·
Registered
55,005 Posts
First can cover I saw was on a Mac 10 Sionics suppressor attached to the Mac's we were being trained on at SIONICS counter terr training. Cloth [ probably nomex ] and it was loose as hell on the can from use/wear. The instructors stated they didn't use them in the field [ actual use in battles ] but used them for training days as a convenience.

·
Registered
3,647 Posts
Useful info here for sure - I'm considering a suppressor cover, if only for the convenience of not having to sit around like a dope in the range bay waiting for my can to cool down before I go home.

·
Registered
55,005 Posts
Useful info here for sure - I'm considering a suppressor cover, if only for the convenience of not having to sit around like a dope in the range bay waiting for my can to cool down before I go home.
I wrap mine in a T shirt and place it in the bag.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts