Florida Concealed Carry banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

· Registered
15,084 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have waited to post this due to the police investigation.
I arrive at my friends house in Ft. Lauderdale the morning of 11/12 at 5:00 am. We have to hook up a trailer. Facing a 16 hr drive to the National Forest in WVA. We are loading the last of the gear on the trailer. Now 5:30 two cars come zooming down the street and the first gunshot goes off right in front of me. I yell gunfire, get down with the first shot. Draw my gun and stretch out over the the hood of the truck. My friends son draws his gun and is taking cover behind the trailer.
The gunfire increases. I know from the sound it’s two guns firing, a 5.56 and a 9mm. Over 30 shots are fired. While I am painting the direction of the shootout with my pistol, I dial 911 and ask my friend for his address. Report shots fired. By now people are coming out of houses. I grab my flashlight and walk down the street towards the gunfire. I see brass on the ground shining against the flashlight beam. I see a drivers side mirror on the ground shot from its anchor. The cars have disappeared. I holster my gun and head back to my friends house telling his son to holster his gun before the cops get there.
Taking a deep breath. The first cop shows up 20 mins later and then it becomes a parade of cops with 10 cars there. I walk them down the street and identify the evidence (spent casings and mirror). The lead officer approached me and asks for ID. I ask why. She wants to use my name in the report. No, not just no, but hell no. I won’t have my address in a reported shootout with me going out of town for 2 weeks. If the gangbangers got that info my family would be at risk with me 1000 miles away. Not happening.
Asked the officers if we were free to go as we had a long trip ahead of us. They said have fun.
My friends son, said “damn, your gun came out so fast I didn’t even realize you drew and the gun was in your hand”.
Lessons to be learned. When gunshots are fired, draw and take cover. If you are not engaged, make a good witness when dialing 911. Wait for police. Point out evidence. Watch where the perps travel. Do not put your family at risk.
I joked afterwards with my friend and his son. “I didn’t plan on shooting someone this morning, but it would have happened if they came back with a gun in their hand.” He said don’t worry I had your back.”

· Registered
15,084 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Hmmmm

· Registered
15,084 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
not many good things happen between 1am and .... now 5:40am?
hoping your annual trip proves more relaxing and fruitful!
I am back and had a great time

· Registered
15,084 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
  • Wow
Reactions: BeerHunter

· Registered
15,084 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Good AAR. Except you didn't tell us how the hunting trip went. Was it good?
Very good. Always is. Primitive camp in the National Forest.

· Registered
15,084 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks Bob. Hunting trips with family and buddies have always been 'to me', great memories.
We do it every year from the 2 weeks before thanksgiving up till t he day before.

· Registered
8,887 Posts
Glad you didn’t have to engage Bob! Is this a rough part of town?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

· Registered
15,084 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Glad you didn’t have to engage Bob! Is this a rough part of town?

Actually it isn’t. It’s just off state rd 84. East of 95.

• Wow
Reactions: BeerHunter

· Registered
455 Posts
I have waited to post this due to the police investigation.
I arrive at my friends house in Ft. Lauderdale the morning of 11/12 at 5:00 am. We have to hook up a trailer. Facing a 16 hr drive to the National Forest in WVA. We are loading the last of the gear on the trailer. Now 5:30 two cars come zooming down the street and the first gunshot goes off right in front of me. I yell gunfire, get down with the first shot. Draw my gun and stretch out over the the hood of the truck. My friends son draws his gun and is taking cover behind the trailer.
The gunfire increases. I know from the sound it’s two guns firing, a 5.56 and a 9mm. Over 30 shots are fired. While I am painting the direction of the shootout with my pistol, I dial 911 and ask my friend for his address. Report shots fired. By now people are coming out of houses. I grab my flashlight and walk down the street towards the gunfire. I see brass on the ground shining against the flashlight beam. I see a drivers side mirror on the ground shot from its anchor. The cars have disappeared. I holster my gun and head back to my friends house telling his son to holster his gun before the cops get there.
Taking a deep breath. The first cop shows up 20 mins later and then it becomes a parade of cops with 10 cars there. I walk them down the street and identify the evidence (spent casings and mirror). The lead officer approached me and asks for ID. I ask why. She wants to use my name in the report. No, not just no, but hell no. I won’t have my address in a reported shootout with me going out of town for 2 weeks. If the gangbangers got that info my family would be at risk with me 1000 miles away. Not happening.
Asked the officers if we were free to go as we had a long trip ahead of us. They said have fun.
My friends son, said “damn, your gun came out so fast I didn’t even realize you drew and the gun was in your hand”.
Lessons to be learned. When gunshots are fired, draw and take cover. If you are not engaged, make a good witness when dialing 911. Wait for police. Point out evidence. Watch where the perps travel. Do not put your family at risk.
I joked afterwards with my friend and his son. “I didn’t plan on shooting someone this morning, but it would have happened if they came back with a gun in their hand.” He said don’t worry I had your back.”
Bob, thank you for sharing your experience.

The people who pulled up and were shooting. What were they shooting at? Was it a drive-by at some house down the street? Or were they shooting at the 3 of you? Any idea what their motivation for shooting was?

· Registered
15,084 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Bob, thank you for sharing your experience.

The people who pulled up and were shooting. What were they shooting at? Was it a drive-by at some house down the street? Or were they shooting at the 3 of you? Any idea what their motivation for shooting was?
It was obviously a drug deal gone bad. If they were shooting at me, I would have returned fire. They were shooting at each other.

· Administrator
33,045 Posts
Great AAR with lessons learned, Bob and shows just how quickly a nice quiet morning can go sideways ANYWHERE and how to respond if/when it does! I especially appreciated your point about being named in the police report in a way that could have put your family at risk while you were gone hunting! This something I consider in my communications daily. :unsure:

I'm also glad you and/or your buddy and his son weren't the target and were unhurt. 🤠

· Registered
8,887 Posts
Actually it isn’t. It’s just off state rd 84. East of 95.
Goes to show it can happen anywhere and we all should be ready for a fight at anytime of the day and anywhere we are currently standing. Thanks again for the AAR and what we can learn from it.

· Registered
10,717 Posts
Great AAR with lessons learned, Bob and shows just how quickly a nice quiet morning can go sideways ANYWHERE and how to respond if/when it does! I especially appreciated your point about being named in the police report in a way that could have put your family at risk while you were gone hunting! This something I consider in my communications daily. :unsure:

I'm also glad you and/or your buddy and his son weren't the target and were unhurt. 🤠
When things go bad; they do so very quickly…

· Registered
10,717 Posts
Goes to show it can happen anywhere and we all should be ready for a fight at anytime of the day and anywhere we are currently standing. Thanks again for the AAR and what we can learn from it.

Words to live by…

1 - 20 of 21 Posts