Florida Concealed Carry banner

21 - 36 of 36 Posts

Super Moderator
HI BH .. Thanks for the info' and just last night i was checking that out . One quick question , do you advise doing dry , or as whetstone [ water / oil ] ? (y)

p.s. - i have an arkansas stone , and a steel [ round rod w/ handle ] Strange , years ago when working for the gas utility co ' , our electric counterpart threw away loads of ceramic rods .. Who would have thought now .
Use according to the Spyderco "Sharpmaker" kit instructions, including a DVD, which do not call for oil. 馃

Reactions: 196THL.I.B.GUNNER

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
On the Arkansas stone I use oil always have, that new knife will lift the hair off your arm in one pass with no pressure
Hi Mr. Earl 007 .. Thanks for your info' , always appreciated (y)

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Use according to the Spyderco "Sharpmaker" kit instructions, including a DVD, which do not call for oil. 馃
Mr. BH .. Thanks for your information also . My dvd is down , but i can still read [ lol ] . I see i have some decisions to make . I thank all who have participated .

p.s. - I went into my military / hunting drawer & found my Skinner Hatchet , with the custom sheath i made for it . I have a h/d meat clever in stainless , with a 1/4" full tang , smaller but stout . Then i found another [ 14 ] knives buried in the archives , with my alaskan Ulu knife . .. I have some sharpening to do for sure ! (y) Whoops , forgot about my large locker , with Bayonets , Kabars & [ 2 ] swords.

Super Moderator
You can also check out the "Work Sharp" (I think that's the name, use the search feature). There are several on FCC who swear by that system. Personally, I like the Spyderco Sharp Maker sometimes referred to as "Spydie sticks" since they don't require electricity and I can easily get all my blades scary sharp! Good luck. 馃

Registered
You can also check out the "Work Sharp" (I think that's the name, use the search feature). There are several on FCC who swear by that system. Personally, I like the Spyderco Sharp Maker sometimes referred to as "Spydie sticks" since they don't require electricity and I can easily get all my blades scary sharp! Good luck. 馃

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #26 · (Edited)
Hi Mr. BH .. I also was checking that one out on amazon . My Bud in Ga uses that one , as he's not much on patience [ lol ] I had checked them also at different prices . Yes the ability to sharpen without electricity is important . Strange to keep the blade vertical , when going down an angular ceramic stick .

*Correction Speaking of him . He finally emailed me & got into a fight . This wise / a-hole said something bad about his wife, * Then the guy took a swing at him , he ducked it .

Some 38 + years of practice , especially at age 70 with his P.D. , one tough hombre. I think he'll definitely die with his boots on :unsure: Nice guy just don't cross him , especially when about his family / or close friends.

Super Moderator
Keeping the blade vertical on the sticks mounted in the 40 deg spots in the base is to maintain a consistent 40 deg bevelled edge typical of most blades. There is also the other end of the base for (I believe) maintaining 30 deg edge for blades the require that. By the way, I'm sure you know to always use the brass guard rods or a scary sharp blade will teach why they're important. ;)

Registered
I still have the scar on my left wrist from not using guard rods. I was cleaning Snook down In the Everglades and then touching up my Chicago cutlery blade because we had a lot of fish. It was a cheaper 鈥渃rock stick鈥 and I missed and just opened up my wrist but fortunately missed an artery. I was fishing with a bunch of doctors who cleaned it out butterflied it wrapped my arm and we went right back out fishing.

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #29 · (Edited)
I still have the scar on my left wrist from not using guard rods. I was cleaning Snook down In the Everglades and then touching up my Chicago cutlery blade because we had a lot of fish. It was a cheaper 鈥渃rock stick鈥 and I missed and just opened up my wrist but fortunately missed an artery. I was fishing with a bunch of doctors who cleaned it out butterflied it wrapped my arm and we went right back out fishing.
Hi Mr. Shark 1007 .. I truly understand the danger(s) of misusing guards etc . You were most fortunate in your case , and doc's on board to help you out . I think arterial bleeding would have been more than just some butterflies applied . More like a tourniquet in that case .

Back when i was deep into the blades / knifes . Once in a while different types would catch my buffing / compound wheel . Some Particular blades did that [not full tang]. They would catch the tips would get me in the forearm . My Primary doc' gave my tetanus shot.

Yes more puncture wounds , than slices thankfully . Two weeks + was bad as i had a rush order to make & ship for my table at the show . Not good , especially to rush about [ 8 ] different knives completed in that time.

My stroke didn't hit me until years later , no worries about bleeding out back then . Now I do have that concern with razor sharp blades . I'm very aware now.

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #30 · (Edited)
Keeping the blade vertical on the sticks mounted in the 40 deg spots in the base is to maintain a consistent 40 deg bevelled edge typical of most blades. There is also the other end of the base for (I believe) maintaining 30 deg edge for blades the require that. By the way, I'm sure you know to always use the brass guard rods or a scary sharp blade will teach why they're important. ;)
Mr. BH .. I totally agree with your input above . What's been my experience with blade angle(s) , the skinners had [ 20 ] degrees . The heavier duty shaped hunting ones had [ 30 ] degrees and my 'v' shaped hatchet types [ 30 ] to [ 40 ] . I'm speaking about my book data.

*Please note : I'm Not splitting hairs about degree application for specific edges . There were many blade types , i have come into contact with in the past . The main thing is to do it safely. At age [ 14 ] in scout camp carving with an Exacto knife gave me a lifetime scar !

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
Mr. Brownie .. I may be repeating myself , but i really appreciated the video that you loaded up here . It is exactly what i needed to see , as i didn't use those type of 'sticks' .. That may change now as i have to maintain a much sharper edge . Thanks again ;) (y)

Reactions: brownie

Registered
Mr. Brownie .. I may be repeating myself , but i really appreciated the video that you loaded up here . It is exactly what i needed to see , as i didn't use those type of 'sticks' .. That may change now as i have to maintain a much sharper edge . Thanks again ;) (y)
welcome sir

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
On the Arkansas stone I use oil always have, that new knife will lift the hair off your arm in one pass with no pressure
Hi Mr. Earl .. I have had the knife for about a week or so by now . The only thing i have done , was to run it in and out of the polymer sheath getting used to it.

Just last night i got it out again and it has been dulled by doing that . I have to do something to bring that edge back to sharp again .. I haven't ordered the Spyderco 'stick's as yet . Maybe I'll try my Arkansas stone with some oil / water.

Registered
It helps to keep a thin film of oil on the blade, after you sharpen it, it should not take much to bring that back to where you want it. Have a good night.

Registered
It helps to keep a thin film of oil on the blade, after you sharpen it, it should not take much to bring that back to where you want it. Have a good night.
I use a thin layer of food grade mineral oil on the edge, to keep degrading the edge. Edges on knives get dull just sitting over time.
I use a Q tip to put the oil on just the sharpened edge.

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
I use a thin layer of food grade mineral oil on the edge, to keep degrading the edge. Edges on knives get dull just sitting over time.
I use a Q tip to put the oil on just the sharpened edge.
Ok Mr. Brownie .. Thanks much for the information as it's much appreciated . I sent you a P.M. a day ago about any laws regarding extended ice pic's .. (y)(y)

21 - 36 of 36 Posts