Florida Concealed Carry banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
2,899 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody know anything about these? It seems like Springfield has kind of faded back a bit.

·
Registered
13,342 Posts
I have had many of the XDM’s used in class. They don’t hold up with high round count courses. I am not an XD fan at all.
Certain guns take a crap a lot in my defensive shooting courses. Tauruses, HiPoint, Springfield XD’s, cheap 1911’s, Browning knockoffs, Modified GLOCKS, and all the knockoff Chinese and Chech pistols.

Reactions: Rick McC.

·
Registered
7,926 Posts
The newest (and only) XD(M) that I have is the 4.5 10mm. It shoots very well, and has functioned with out any malfunctions. That said; it’s certainly not a high round count pistol. I’ve only put a couple of hundred rounds through it to date.

I bought it about a year ago to hunt deer in the swamp, and haven’t carried or shot it since last hunting season.

It holds 15+1, and I’d have no problem with carrying it during “bad times.”

I shot Rick Weaver’s XD at one of Brownie’s TFP classes, and that was one fine shooting and accurate pistol. It definitely wasn’t box stock.

I had a sub-compact 9mm XD 15 years ago, and carried it for a while. It performed flawlessly, but I didn’t care for the blockiness of it, and traded it off after a year or so.

·
Registered
2,899 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Interesting, thanks Bob. I saw one of these at the local police supply recently. It’s an oddball, it’s offered with a 3.8 inch barrel and 20 round magazine so the grip is really long.

·
Registered
5,982 Posts
Interesting, thanks Bob. I saw one of these at the local police supply recently. It’s an oddball, it’s offered with a 3.8 inch barrel and 20 round magazine so the grip is really long.
You don’t need it, walk away.....,,walk away.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
26,631 Posts

·
Super Moderator
26,631 Posts
Hope it serves you well in that role. :cool:

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
Good to know Bob! I have a buddy that has two of them. I must say, they point & shoot very nice. Ergonomics are perfect for me, was dead on a couple cans, all the way across the pasture, like I’d been shooting them for years. Definitely DON’T want a “ low count pistol “, l had been considering picking one up recently in .45 acp, like the two I shot, now ..... not so much.

·
Registered
7,926 Posts
I’m surprised to hear that the XDs don’t do well in high round count classes, since they’ve been around for a while, and aren’t cheap.

Paula went through Brownie’s TFP weekend course with my (ever since then, hers) ‘07 M&P9. It was my IDPA gun for several years prior to that, and still has it’s original recoil and striker assemblies.

I’ve been through three of those courses, plus the live fire part of the alumni FoF weekend, with another M&P9 that I modified a bit, all with no malfunctions. I believe those cost a bit less than the XDs.

For the newbies; those are two day 1500 round count Threat Focused Pistol courses.

·
Super Moderator
26,631 Posts
I feel so fortunate to have been able to be a part of those classes, as well, three as one brownie's students and a few more as an RO.

·
Registered
2,899 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I appreciate Bob’s comments. I have an XD tactical in .45 GAP that’s a sweet shooter. I have probably nearing 1000 round count. I’m pretty anal about cleaning after every shooting. Additionally have a couple of Springfield XDM’s in 45 ACP and 9 mm. They are the XDM models I am very happy with.I do appreciate Bob’s warning.

The Croatians have been making weapons to kill each other for a long time now. I’m not sure I would use one for a high round count training class. I intend to break this one in and then hide it in the motorhome. With the 20+ round capacity in the 20 to round back up magazine, I think it will fit the bill, particularly if my wife has to use it.

we are going to be building some cabins up on a mountain in North Carolina and, just walking around them I’m allowed to believe there are a number of bears and I’ve heard elk fairly close by. Those things are monsters and if one gets pissed at me, it might be Time to bring out the .460 Rowland.

I got it for 470 which is cheaper than law-enforcement price. I went through gunbuyer com that showed them in stock.

speaking of hidden guns I sewed a pistol and a holster underneath the headliner in my 48 footer. I figured if I was ever highjacked I would know where to tear the headliner and get the weapon. Unfortunately, when I sold the boat I forgot all about the pistol so I guess the new owner if he will ever replace is the headliner will be in for a surprise.

I’ll do a short review of the XDM elite when it arrives.
Thanks everybody for your thoughts.

·
Super Moderator
26,631 Posts
Not looking to buy an XD but still looking forward to your review. 😁

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
I guess there’re only three XDm pistols that have held up to high round counts.

I have a.40 I purchased in 2009 that has in excess of 40,000 rounds through it. I used it in competition for four years as well as in one of Brownie’s threat focused pistol classes, shooting over 1,500 rounds in two days.

I switched to an XDM in 9 MM in 2013, and I’m approaching 90,000 rounds. I shoot about 1,000 rounds per month. I’ve replaced recoil springs in both pistols, and a trigger bar in the .40.

This must be the only other XDm that has stood up to a high round count. It’s in 10mm.

My belief to the assertion that an XDm won’t stand up to high round counts is just plain nonsense.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,899 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Wow! I appreciate Bob’s perspective on this too. I may disagree with him on some matters but I never doubt his sincerity.

·
Registered
2,899 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I will post some pictures in a few minutes but wanted to give some general thoughts on the pistol. Upon disassembly, I found no machine marks visible. It shows that it has a match barrel, I found the slide frame fit to be nice and tight, The trigger felt great and the reset was short and audible.

A positive thing about the pistol was that it carries 20 rounds on board. It looks a little unusual because the grip’s kind of long. I haven’t shot it yet but I believe it will shoot well. The top of the slide is flat which allows me to do my favorite dry fire drill. I place a couple of 22 rounds on top of the slide and practice dry firing without causing the rounds to drop.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts