Florida Concealed Carry banner
1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
5,185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know we were talking about the basic 1911 that one company made parkerized for a good price. Brownie bought one and Rick customized it. Maybe the price was $450? Well they are not making the parkerized versions anymore but Springfield is
https://www.springfield-armory.com/products/1911-mil-spec-defenders-series/ For $550 and probably Springfields version may be better overall quality....tempting...

·
Super Moderator
30,402 Posts
Yeah, brownie got the Auto Ordnance MILSPEC when they still offered the Parkerized finish. I was too late to get one new but that Springfield Armory version looks like a nice alternative. Love my Springfield Armory 1911, an MC Operator model that is a great shooter and the handgun in my EDC rotation that I shoot the most accurately with.

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
I picked one up about the same time as Brownie started to post about his. I must be saving mine for a rainy day as it is a safe queen with 195 rounds through it. No mods were done to mine as where done for Brownie's. Now I am thinking of taking it to Gators some Monday to review what I am missing. :)

·
Registered
5,185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
This runs into conflict with my savings for the Fulton armory m1a carbine.....BUT I’m always finding out if I want it get it or I’ll regret it later........missed out on the auto ordinance one too when I had the chance......and the bagwell which I’m kicking myself for

·
Registered
55,588 Posts
I know we were talking about the basic 1911 that one company made parkerized for a good price. Brownie bought one and Rick customized it. Maybe the price was $450? Well they are not making the parkerized versions anymore but Springfield is
https://www.springfield-armory.com/products/1911-mil-spec-defenders-series/ For $550 and probably Springfields version may be better overall quality....tempting...
They call it a milspec but it doesn't have the milspec sights like a true milspec.

·
Super Moderator
30,402 Posts
They call it a milspec but it doesn't have the milspec sights like a true milspec.
Yup, same as my Colt Custom shop Commemorative "milspec" with my last squadron's logo and motto in that the fixed sights are not the true milspec sights. :(

·
Registered
5,185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I got that but i think think is a nice compromise to the auto ordinance model no longer in production.

·
Registered
5,112 Posts
I like it. I've been meaning to get something like this for a while. I too had my eye on the Auto Ordnance, and never pulled the trigger. These don't seem to be available yet. I signed up on the Springfield site for email notice when they ship.

·
Registered
8,999 Posts
They seem like a lot of gun for the money to me, excellent buy!

·
Registered
5,185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
So i found a defender 1911 at my local gun shop or $500.00....And brownie is correct about the sights, not Mil Spec, as well as the stainless barrel nut....disappointing also was the “parkerizing” was black and not the usual reddish coloring......since i did buy it I’m going to call Springfield and ask about that. The trigger felt pretty goo, barrel lock up nice and tight.....and i think you cant beat the price of $500 for a Springfield.....

·
Registered
5,112 Posts
Congrats! Looks like I should stop by my local LGS in the next few days. See what they've got. Enjoy it.

·
Registered
55,588 Posts
So i found a defender 1911 at my local gun shop or $500.00....And brownie is correct about the sights, not Mil Spec, as well as the stainless barrel nut....disappointing also was the “parkerizing” was black and not the usual reddish coloring......since i did buy it I’m going to call Springfield and ask about that. The trigger felt pretty goo, barrel lock up nice and tight.....and i think you cant beat the price of $500 for a Springfield.....
Park can be black [ like the ww2 Remington Rands ]; green or greyish. All 3 are period correct depending on maker and era during ww2 and immediate post war 1911's.

The AO is dark grey, my milspec SA's I carried from the early 80's were a dark green park.

·
Registered
5,185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Park can be black [ like the ww2 Remington Rands ]; green or greyish. All 3 are period correct depending on maker and era during ww2 and immediate post war 1911's.

The AO is dark grey, my milspec SA's I carried from the early 80's were a dark green park.
Good to know. I remembered after I posted it wasn’t a reddish I was thinking about but the green or green/grey color which I would have preferred but I think the quality is there and may not need any of Ricks expertise. I’m not sure why they came up with a SS barrel bushing. On another note I’m 2/3 away from a Fulton Armory m1a carbine and Fulton makes the best one out there as far as I know.

·
Registered
5,529 Posts

Reproducing that green park is the holy grail of refinishers. It is speculated that some outside/environmental/chemical influence gave that green color.

·
Registered
1,774 Posts
Yea....another new gun for shooter4 ......and may be I get to try it out.....we kind of share our new purchases that way.....but he has to give up where he got it.....I might want to visit too....ebl

·
Registered
5,185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Anytime Rick....my favorite local gun shop “American defense” on US 1 stuart. Decent prices. Always has cookies sitting on the counter......

·
Registered
8,999 Posts
Good to know. I remembered after I posted it wasn’t a reddish I was thinking about but the green or green/grey color which I would have preferred but I think the quality is there and may not need any of Ricks expertise. I’m not sure why they came up with a SS barrel bushing. On another note I’m 2/3 away from a Fulton Armory m1a carbine and Fulton makes the best one out there as far as I know.
Most of the higher quality 1911’s (and many of the others) come with SS bushings. I don’t know why, but I guess it’s preferred by the masses. :dunno

·
Registered
5,185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Most of the higher quality 1911’s (and many of the others) come with SS bushings. I don’t know why, but I guess it’s preferred by the masses. :dunno
It’s also very tight, I’m sure for accuracy. I need a tool to take it off. That may change with some use....

·
Registered
15,493 Posts
It’s also very tight, I’m sure for accuracy. I need a tool to take it off. That may change with some use....
On a fitted bushing, it's best to take the barrel out of battery and push it forward when turning the bushing to keep it tight. Wear when turning the bushing will loosen the fit somewhat

1 - 20 of 53 Posts