Florida Concealed Carry banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5,080 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am in the market for a new spotting scope. My current one I picked up cheap at Academy. It zooms to 60x with a 60mm objective lens. The image quality at max zoom isn't all that great, so I am looking for something that will get me a clear view from 200 - 1000 yards.

·
Super Moderator
26,609 Posts
Paying attention to this one because I'm in exactly the same boat. :popcorn

·
Registered
5,967 Posts
Same here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
10,931 Posts
The image quality at max zoom isn't all that great, so I am looking for something that will get me a clear view from 200 - 1000 yards.
Then be prepared to spend BIG bucks... like the same money you'd spend on a top notch scope. $2k++. And, even then I wouldn't expect to see small bullet holes in paper at 600+ yards.

Otherwise... accept the diminished quality of the cheaper scopes (like I have! LOL!). I'm using a Konus spotting scope that is adequate out to 300 yards.

I got this one, with a 100-mm objective. It's a beast. $290. They make an 80-mm objective version, for $200. In retrospect, I think I'd get the 80-mm model for a more compact package. The 100-mm is just BIG. But, it works pretty well for my current purposes.

·
Vendor
932 Posts
I am in the market for a new spotting scope. My current one I picked up cheap at Academy. It zooms to 60x with a 60mm objective lens. The image quality at max zoom isn't all that great, so I am looking for something that will get me a clear view from 200 - 1000 yards.
I would suggest the Athlon Ares 15-45x65 ED. We just put these on sale for only $499.99 and IMO for under $1,000.00 it's a bust buy scope

https://cameralandny.com/shop?query=312002

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
I have a Nikon FieldScope-82, now discontinued.
Crystal clear optics.
I recall that is was rather pricey at the time.

I would think that technology has marched along since the early 2000's and cheaper, better scopes can be had nowadays.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Honestly, seeing bullet holes at 1000 yards is going to cost some money. There are products that can provide that - heck, the detail from a satellite is amazing sometimes - but it does come at a cost.

·
Super Moderator
26,609 Posts
Honestly, seeing bullet holes at 1000 yards is going to cost some money. There are products that can provide that - heck, the detail from a satellite is amazing sometimes - but it does come at a cost.
Welcome to a long-time silent member making their very first post to FCC! : wave

You've been lurking here for over six years so you probably know the drill already, but it would still be great to have you're own Introduction thread in the Introduce Yourself section of The Front Office. Then you'll find that lots of other FCC members will know to chime in to properly welcome you to the forum!

In case you weren't aware, you can stay current on pertinent Florida Statutes regarding use of force and firearms law by going right to the source using these links for Chapter 776 - Justifiable Use of Force and Chapter 790 - Weapons and Firearms. I'd also like to suggest you obtain your own copy of FLORIDA FIREARMS Law, Use & Ownership by Jon Gutmacher!

Finally, I would like to recommend you consider joining Florida Carry and join the effort to protect the rights of Floridians to keep and bear arms!

Again, even though you've been lurking here a while, welcome to FCC! :grin

1 - 9 of 9 Posts