Florida Concealed Carry banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My site search wasn't terribly successful. Can anyone point me to a good quality speed loader for an AR-15 magazine (or a thread I missed)? Not all of my ammo is on stripper clips.... Lot's of stuff on Amazon (surprisingly), but having no experience with .223/5.56 speed loaders, I don't know what's good and what isn't.

Thanks!

·
Registered
987 Posts
Stripper clips and the bandoleer-equipped tool that makes them work. Nothing faster, nothing better. I've set my AK ammo up the same way.

·
Super Moderator
31,677 Posts
I have one of these and I works very well and fast for me, loads 5.56, 7.62x39, and probably a few others:

ETA: updated the link, but as Nittany Lion Fan wrote, it's a dark transparent color instead of opaque black so likely is a bit hardrr to see in a black range bag (I'll choose a different color range bag since it's harder to finger gear in bright colors). :unsure:

Reactions: Rick McC.

·
Registered
8,146 Posts
My sons load everything for me…..

but when I was younger Lula was my go to

·
Registered
21,531 Posts
i have an ets for rifle and one for pistols...amazing and quite simple to use...it's not a one at a time assist...it loads an entire magazine with one sweep and the way rounds are inserted in it you don't even have to touch them...the video doesnt lie...

anyone who has trained with me knows i am not a fan of loaders, but arthritis is getting the best of me...this was a reluctant buy and it has made me and my loading thumb very happy...

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have one of these and I works very well and fast for me, loads 5.56, 7.62x39, and probably a few others:

ETA: updated the link, but as Nittany Lion Fan wrote, it's a dark transparent color instead of opaque black so likely is a bit hardrr to see in a black range bag (I'll choose a different color range bag since it's harder to finger gear in bright colors). :unsure:
Www.brownells.com
Www miniature.com

·
Registered
7,342 Posts
Excellent thread and suggestions. I have not purchased a loader….yet. Now looking like this weekend thanks to you guys. All your fault!

I went to Midway from BH’s post and initially said 30 bucks, not bad and it loads very nicely from the boxed ammo in trays. Then I went and looked at the Maglula‘s price and honestly said wow, 130 bucks! But after I watched it load I was even more impressed. The reason is I don’t buy .556 in ammo boxes with trays. Everything I buy is bulk and loose, therefore loading the tool becomes key in terms of saving time. If you have the ETS and bulk ammo, you can’t load the tool as fast as you can with the Maglula. I have an Uplula, two actually, but gave one to a friend, and they are totally awesome.

Looks like I’ll be buying the Maglula.

Thanks team!

·
Registered
7,908 Posts

Thanks! :) I just purchased one! We'll see how it goes!

·
Registered
7,908 Posts
ETS Loader arrived today. It helps to lube the channels with your favorite oil (Hoppes 9 aerosol for me). It works for both my 5.56 Green tip as well as my .308Win in my PMAG-30's/10s respectively. When you are just starting, be sure to get .308 rounds into the little channel to make them stand upright in the loader. The 5.56 should be flush inside and not in the channel. See below.

If you look up top, you'll see two channels on the rail. The outer channel (more visible), it where you insert the .308 rounds via the rim. The inner channel (below the outer one and flush to the stick) is for 5.56/.223. Make sure you get them flush if they are 5.56/.223. If done correctly, you should be able to turn the unit upside down (i.e. bullets facing down) and not have them fall out. Soon, you will be able to pick up 10 rounds if they are packed individually in a case.Just slide it through and then turn it right side up like this....

Works like a charm! It holds up to 15 rounds comfortably, so I'd have to do two loads for a PMAG-30 but my PMAG-10's work in one!

Thanks @BeerHunter

·
Super Moderator
31,677 Posts
ETS Loader arrived today. It helps to lube the channels with your favorite oil (Hoppes 9 aerosol for me). It works for both my 5.56 Green tip as well as my .308Win in my PMAG-30's/10s respectively. When you are just starting, be sure to get .308 rounds into the little channel to make them stand upright in the loader. The 5.56 should be flush inside and not in the channel. See below.

If you look up top, you'll see two channels on the rail. The outer channel (more visible), it where you insert the .308 rounds via the rim. The inner channel (below the outer one and flush to the stick) is for 5.56/.223. Make sure you get them flush if they are 5.56/.223. If done correctly, you should be able to turn the unit upside down (i.e. bullets facing down) and not have them fall out. Soon, you will be able to pick up 10 rounds if they are packed individually in a case.Just slide it through and then turn it right side up like this....

Works like a charm! It holds up to 15 rounds comfortably, so I'd have to do two loads for a PMAG-30 but my PMAG-10's work in one!

Thanks @BeerHunter
Also works well for 7.62x39mm ammo! 🤠

·
Registered
7,342 Posts
Just out of curiosity, have you tried it on bulk ammo or only on the tray ammo? I buy all in bulk so I’m guessing that might be a little slower to load? :unsure:

·
Registered
7,908 Posts
Just out of curiosity, have you tried it on bulk ammo or only on the tray ammo? I buy all in bulk so I’m guessing that might be a little slower to load? :unsure:
Yes, my 5.56 green tip is bulk. It's not that bad. If I wanted to, I could create (or buy) some cases in order to store the bulk ammo temporarily before loading. We'll see. It's an improvement over my Maglula. Not that the Maglula is bad, but...

·
Registered
7,342 Posts
Ok so you have the Maglula as well? Comparing them both you prefer the ETS?

Seems to me watching the YouTube video of there Maglula, looks very fast to load bulk vs the ETS. Love to hear more of your comparison of the two.

Thanks,

·
Registered
7,908 Posts
Ok so you have the Maglula as well? Comparing them both you prefer the ETS?

Seems to me watching the YouTube video of there Maglula, looks very fast to load bulk vs the ETS. Love to hear more of your comparison of the two.

Thanks,
Well, I have this Maglula

Not the bulk loader.

The ETS is a bit better than the above. If we talk about total elapsed time to load a full PMAG-30.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts