Florida Concealed Carry banner

Southern Florida

988 Views 5 Replies 5 Participants Last post by  hudoff
I am prompted to write by a extremely frightening robbery that happened recently at a Dunkin' Doughnuts not far from here. It is so violent that had I been carrying I doubt with my very limited experience and training been able to do anything but get killed.

Here is the article from the local Sun-Sentinel Newspaper.
Let me know how anyone could have some strategy for this type of event.

South Florida Sun-Sentinel.com
Four robbers sought in shootings at a Delray Beach Dunkin' Donuts shop
Gunmen shoot 3 customers, driver in Delray

By Maria Herrera

South Florida Sun-Sentinel

November 28, 2008

DELRAY BEACH

It was the stuff of nightmares: Four men wearing masks, guns drawn, burst through the door and order everyone to the floor. Customers scream, employees run for the panic button.

But this wasn't a jewelry store or even a bank. It was a Dunkin' Donuts shop, where elderly residents gathered late Wednesday for a cup of joe, maybe to talk about Thanksgiving plans or simply to stay warm.

Dressed in black, the four robbers began wreaking havoc on the 4800 block of West Atlantic Avenue at 10:22 p.m.

Two jumped the counter and ordered an employee to open the register. The other two terrorized customers.

After only one and one-half minutes, four people had been shot.

"This is a senseless crime," police spokesman Jeff Messer said.

What they stole: "It couldn't have been more than a couple of hundred dollars," Messer said.

The four men rifled through everyone's pockets and cleaned out the register. On a surveillance video released to police, the men are seen pushing patrons to the ground. Two held handguns. One had a shotgun, police said.

As the men began to leave, one of them drew the shotgun close to a customer's face and pulled the trigger at close range. Then he fired at another.

Investigators said a man driving a Chevrolet Lumina on Whatley Road flashed his high beams at the fleeing robbers as they ran in front of him. One of the robbers fired at the car, hitting the man in the face through the windshield.

A fourth victim later showed up at the VA Medical Center in Riviera Beach with what police described as a shotgun pellet wound to his leg.

Police did not release the identity of the victims. Two were taken to Delray Medical Center; all are expected to recover.

Police said the robbers are dangerous. Messer said they shot innocent victims who could not have identified any of them through their masks.

"The act itself is so heinous," Messer said. "They started randomly shooting people who were compliant."

The stand-alone store abuts quiet residential neighborhoods, small shopping centers and offices. Customers drove up to the store throughout Thursday afternoon, only to turn around when they saw police tape. "We are working with our franchisee, Hitish Patel, who is supporting the efforts of the local authorities," Dunkin' Donuts spokesman Andrew Mastrangelo said in a written statement. "Our thoughts and prayers are with the victims and their families."

Police are offering a $5,000 reward to anyone with information that leads to an arrest, in addition to a $1,000 reward offered by Crime Stoppers.

Investigators ask anyone with information to call the Police Department at 561-243-7800 or Crime Stoppers at 800-458-8477.

Staff Writer Brian Haas contributed to this report.
See less See more
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
I heard about this story the day after but did not hear the details of it. This truly is : censored.
We were just discussing something similar on another thread with two BG's one with and one without a gun. But this four man robbery theme came armed and fully masked. At the point when I'm being ordered to the ground would probably be my best chance to fight back but with that many I'm not sure innocent people would not get killed. This would suck all the way around.

I could clearly take out two of these guys but the other two would be trouble. This is tough and it's not even a what if scenario. This just happened for real. :mad:
I was also wondering what i would do in this situation.
Usually if i am in dunkin doughnuts i am with one of my kids.
Would i risk getting one of my kids killed just because i tried to stop them?
You know how it would go, I would shoot one or two of them before the other two got me, then my kids would be falling apart because i got hit, then the other bg's would shoot my kids for revenge.:thumbsdwn I don't think so.
I think in this situation i would just lay down like all the other patrons did and try to hide my pistol from them to keep them from stealing it.
BUT, if i was by myself, i would just look for an opportunity to shoot as many as i could before i went down. or try to use one of the bg's for a shield while i shot the shotgun toting guy and then go for the pistols.
In that situation, i would think it would be better to take out the shotgun first, since it could do the most damage per shot and is easier to aim than a pistol. I really think that the bg's with pistols don't exactly go to the range a practice shooting to increase their accuracy like we all do. so i feel the pistol packing bg's would miss with most, if not all of their shots while taken in a situation with returning fire from me.

Just my $.02 worth.
See less See more
Eeek! I've been out of touch the past couple days with the news and missed that. I've been to that Dunkin Donuts many times as it's right near one of the locations of my job. I guess here goes the "what would I have done" thinking, and I'm not sure I have that answer with four armed assailants and a store full of people.
Welcome:drinks
End of the story - South Florida

Dunkin' Donuts shooting suspects are 'cold-blooded thugs,' police say
Video, luck had role in Dunkin' Donuts arrests

By Sofia Santana and Robert Nolin

South Florida Sun-Sentinel

December 4, 2008

For the three masked robbers, it wasn't about money. It was about kicks.

That, police say, is why six people across Broward and Palm Beach counties were randomly shot and wounded during a doughnut shop robbery spree last week.

"There's no clear motive, almost like it was sport," Broward Sheriff Al Lamberti said Wednesday, announcing the arrests of three men for the shockingly casual shootings. "These are just cold-blooded thugs. One suspect said he just wanted to up his body count."

The shotgun-toting suspects were methodical and merciless in the shootings, police said. And though they were under widespread video surveillance, their capture was assisted by luck.

Arrested Tuesday night: Jonathan Jackson, 23, and James Herard, 19, both of Lauderhill, and Calvin Weatherspoon, 20, Lauderdale Lakes. All claimed to be members of the notorious Crips gang, police said.

Police say they were among four robbers, garbed in black, hooded sweaters, masks and gloves, who burst into the Dunkin' Donuts shop in Delray Beach on Nov. 26. Some cleaned out the cash register; others shoved terrorized customers to the floor and rifled through pockets and purses.

Before leaving, the robbers opened fire on the cooperative customers without provocation. One held a shotgun to the face of Henry Borenstein, an 84-year-old World War II veteran from Delray Beach, and pulled the trigger. The blast shattered his teeth and jaw.

The gunmen wounded two others with the shotgun. While crossing a street after leaving the shop, the robbers fired a shotgun into the face of a driver who flashed his high beams at them. A fifth victim later showed up at a Riviera Beach hospital with a shotgun pellet wound in his leg.

"There was no need to shoot them," Delray Beach Police Chief Anthony Strianese said. "It's just horrific to shoot elderly folks. These folks were on the ground."

Lamberti said: "These suspects definitely were trigger happy."

Alan Levenar, 70, was one customer who was spared a bullet. "I heard four or five shots," the Delray Beach man said. "I thought I saw the angels coming at me."

Police theorize the robber chose doughnut shops because they are open late and make easy targets.

The night after the Delray attack, two masked robbers stormed into a Dunkin' Donuts in Tamarac, ordered customers to the floor and almost immediately shot Kiem Huynh, 56, Fort Lauderdale, in the back. His relatives fear he may be paralyzed. He is still in critical condition.One robber tried but couldn't open the shop's cash register, so the pair fled in a light-colored, four-door car.

Surveillance video of that car led to the trio's arrest Tuesday night. Lauderhill police on a burglary detail spotted a white car similar to the suspect vehicle with three men inside. They watched as the suspects stole a pit bull from its owner who was walking the dog on the street, then arrested Jackson, Herard and Weatherspoon.

"There's some luck involved," conceded Lauderhill Police Chief Kenneth Pachnek. Investigators said the three confessed to the Dunkin' Donuts shootings and also have been linked to the robberies of another Dunkin' Donuts in Sunrise on Nov. 24, and a 7-Eleven in Pompano Beach on Nov. 26.

Broward Sheriff's Sgt. Neal Glassman said Herard bragged he could kill investigators on the spot and feel no remorse. "His statement to us was that he has no soul," Glassman said.

Police are preparing formal charges against the three and still looking for one, possibly two, more suspects. Glassman said investigators have a good idea who they're seeking, but declined to release further details.

All three arrested men have had run-ins with the law. Jackson spent 16 months in prison for burglary and grand theft; Herard has been in court for misdemeanor marijuana possession; and Weatherspoon served two brief jail stints on misdemeanor theft charges.

Two deputies were stationed outside Jackson's townhouse Wednesday evening. Inside a fenced patio were three dogs that resembled pit bulls. No one answered the door to Weatherspoon's apartment.

A next-door neighbor, who declined to give her name out of fear of repercussion, wasn't surprised at Herard's arrest. He didn't appear to work, she said, and was always coming and going.

"He is a rude guy, very, very rude," she said. "I'm glad he's in jail."
See less See more
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.