Florida Concealed Carry banner

61 - 80 of 115 Posts

·
Registered
15,026 Posts
Never said it would tick me off..I have no say one way or the other. Just stated what I thought would happen. Time will tell, I reckon.

·
Registered
7,941 Posts
Well, and FloridaConcealedCarry is a staple.
A member can get pissed off and leave, get sick and leave, fight with his wife and leave, get drunk and leave, get tired of Sully and his outrageously fabulous Panther holsters and leave, or even just leave for the sake of leaving.......and that same member can come back and the core will be here, open arms. Changing the core is risky in the fact that it will change the dynamics of the whole forum.
I figure most people don't like change, the kind of change that takes away their comfort zone. This Forum definitely projects one big comfort zone, with an open door for new people to enjoy that zone. That cannot be re-created on purpose, it has been built over time. It may not maximize profitability, and I am a capitalist to the 11th degree, so I vote the name FloridaConcealedCarry remain intact. I also vote that the name FloridaConcealedCarry not be blended or married to another forum that can change our dynamic of being serious and safe about concealed carry and project ar toting/frog shooting yahooz. Not to say my life in the swamp is a bad thing, it just doesn't project well in a serious concealed carry community.
Now let's get to the real logic......Steve needs to increase profitability...business is business.....What Steve needs is more forum members and advertisers who have holsters, firearms, classes, etc........For Concealed Carry....so advertisers must be tailored with the name of the forum. No need to advertise AK's here. We have one million Concealed Carry licensees in Florida, the trick is to bring more on board, and bring them slowly so we keep our community feel, and slowly increase advertisers and profit.

·
Registered
15,026 Posts
Well, and FloridaConcealedCarry is a staple.
A member can get pissed off and leave, get sick and leave, fight with his wife and leave, get drunk and leave, get tired of Sully and his outrageously fabulous Panther holsters and leave, or even just leave for the sake of leaving.......and that same member can come back and the core will be here, open arms. Changing the core is risky in the fact that it will change the dynamics of the whole forum.
I figure most people don't like change, the kind of change that takes away their comfort zone. This Forum definitely projects one big comfort zone, with an open door for new people to enjoy that zone. That cannot be re-created on purpose, it has been built over time. It may not maximize profitability, and I am a capitalist to the 11th degree, so I vote the name FloridaConcealedCarry remain intact. I also vote that the name FloridaConcealedCarry not be blended or married to another forum that can change our dynamic of being serious and safe about concealed carry and project ar toting/frog shooting yahooz. Not to say my life in the swamp is a bad thing, it just doesn't project well in a serious concealed carry community.
Now let's get to the real logic......Steve needs to increase profitability...business is business.....What Steve needs is more forum members and advertisers who have holsters, firearms, classes, etc........For Concealed Carry....so advertisers must be tailored with the name of the forum. No need to advertise AK's here. We have one million Concealed Carry licensees in Florida, the trick is to bring more on board, and bring them slowly so we keep our community feel, and slowly increase advertisers and profit.
A wise man speaketh.

·
Registered
5,369 Posts
Okuma Steve,

I imagine these aren't the responses you were hoping to get.

Obviously, we've got something going here that many members enjoy. Something that other, more broadly themed forums haven't provided perhaps.

I do want to commend you if I may. Your communication with us has been phenomenal all through the changes around here. You've been quick and proactive to issues and its apparent to me that you take pride in running forums.

Please don't take the lack of enthusiasm for a name change personally. For the most part, we just like what we have around here. :thumsup

·
Registered
106 Posts
How would I react to a name change? I would react negatively. I'm a junior member who mostly lurks and reads, so I have no influence...but, you asked.

I spend a lot more time on another defensive carry forum, but check in here frequently.

·
Registered
15,233 Posts
How would I react to a name change? I would react negatively. I'm a junior member who mostly lurks and reads, so I have no influence...but, you asked.

I spend a lot more time on another defensive carry forum, but check in here frequently.
Out of shear curiosity, why?

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
I REALLY don't like the name change. We already have the "Florida Shooters Network", which I also frequent, for that broader audience. I like the focus on concealed carry here even if we do get off topic frequently...we always seem to get back. I am of the opinion that "if it ain't broke, don't fix it". To my way of thinking FCC ain't broke, at least not from a content sense; I don't know enough about vbulletin or xenforo to have an opinion there...

I think you've been doing a great job with FCC. It's better now, performance-wise than it was, but I like the small focused, more or less, group here.

Allan

·
Registered
106 Posts
Out of shear curiosity, why?
I've built some relationships there, but came here when I was looking specifically for Florida related info. I guess I've not felt as welcome here. Hey, you asked...sorry. I carried concealed in lots of states and moved here to Florida after I retired in 1996. I like what I've seen here. The focus seems right.

·
Registered
3,960 Posts
O.K. - I went through all seven (now eight) pages of comments.

Many others have already hit on the points I would bring up.

Let me just say that two and a half years ago, when we moved to Florida, I searched through the various forums available that seemed to cover the topics I was looking for (concealed carry, Florida laws, regulations, and equipment, etc.). Many of those forums covered a broader scope. I logged on to those, joined a few, and found that all were populated by people I didn't find knowledgeable and/or helpful. Every discussion, sooner or later (usually sooner), devolved into petty name calling and obscenities and invariably got totally off subject. This forum was not, and still is not, like that.

What I feel was the difference is that all the other forums attracted a broader range of 'gun owners', 'shooters', etc. Each of those 'categories' included people who are not of the same level of focus on reasons or interest in why they carry a gun. I honestly believe it is this seriousness about the basic reason why we 'concealed carriers' carry a gun that makes the difference in how we approach our 'discipline.' It is that seriousness about why and how we carry that makes the difference in the make-up of the group that frequents this forum.

Change that focus; you change the make up of the core group; you change the way the group relates and interacts - both within the forum and with the rest of society. I believe it is the name "Florida Concealed Carry" that draws the group with common interests and goals, and, therefore, with a more serious purpose for carrying. That is not to say that 'concealed carriers' cannot enjoy the other aspects of shooting - but, I believe, it is the seriousness of carrying a concealed weapon for defense of self and family that draws people that have a more serious focus on legal aspects and training and a seriousness of purpose.

Obviously, those folks also have interest and questions about equipment, skills training, the ever-evolving legal environment, changes in the attitude of the general public, and the other related topics found on the forum currently. We also enjoy the occasional joke or humorous story and even a playful bantering amongst ourselves on topics that have nothing to do with firearms. But, through all that the general seriousness of the individuals and the respect for each other and their varied opinions shows through. The discussions almost always stay respectful, informed, and informational.

IMHO - you change the make-up of the people participating and you will change the way the forum works. I liken the effort to change the forum name to two people getting married and then each trying to change the way the other behaves - why did they get married in the first place?

I understand and acknowledge that you purchased the forum and have the right to change it in any way you feel best suits your purposes - But, I ask, Respectfully, why did you choose this particular forum? Was it because of what it is, or what you could make of it? Your money. . .your choice.

·
Registered
12,973 Posts
Your name is something so very yours, yet seldom used by you. But, it is of great importance, to you and the people around, for your name is your identity. What everyone calls you by is what you are known by. It is something that is tightly linked to you. Interestingly, your name is also something devised by someone else, although you have to live with it throughout life! Does your name affect your personality?
Read more at Buzzle: http://www.buzzle.com/articles/names-how-they-affect-personality.html

·
Registered
15,233 Posts
I've built some relationships there, but came here when I was looking specifically for Florida related info. I guess I've not felt as welcome here. Hey, you asked...sorry. I carried concealed in lots of states and moved here to Florida after I retired in 1996. I like what I've seen here. The focus seems right.
I appreciate the candor. Wondered why so many lurk but don't get involved. Also what other"defensive" forums offer that is not offered here. Sorry you haven't felt welcomed. Sometimes you need to jump in the deep end of the pool and force the issue. Anyways, thanks for answering, and welcome to the forum, belatedly.

·
Registered
3,286 Posts
Your name is something so very yours, yet seldom used by you. But, it is of great importance, to you and the people around, for your name is your identity. What everyone calls you by is what you are known by. It is something that is tightly linked to you. Interestingly, your name is also something devised by someone else, although you have to live with it throughout life! Does your name affect your personality?
Read more at Buzzle: http://www.buzzle.com/articles/names-how-they-affect-personality.html
So true. I used to belong to a now defunked car club up north. The name was Rekless Racing. Now the group wasnt about rekless driving or being an ass. It was the exact opposite. We did car shows for charity and only ever raced on the track. Sure some of the younger members may have done some stupid stuff, but the club didnt. Still because of the name we had public image. Just the name. Something so trivial caused sometimes big problems.

·
Administrator
781 Posts
Discussion Starter #77
How bout this, we'll keep the name the same and proceed with a software change, cool with everyone? I'm not sure on the time frame of it but hopefully it won't be more than a month or two. I'll have to do a lot of testing to be sure the transfer goes smoothly and we don't lose any info.

·
Registered
7,941 Posts
Why didn't you speak up earlier! :D

Tapatalk will work just like it does now.
Hahahaha........little late on the draw there Jaxrolo......new software might enhance the experience, never saw what you are talking about. I will try it. Does it have an F-U button, and an Ejector seat button? Good nite.

61 - 80 of 115 Posts