Florida Concealed Carry banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
13,202 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was in a forum and a person asked about selecting a firearm. many people jumped in with their favorite pistol insisting that they had the holy grail of firearms (Glock fans mainly). It amazes me the number of folks that have no clue on how to select a pistol. So here is a small list to help those uninformed.
First things first, before you can advise what a person should buy, know how to select one yourself. There are several things to consider when selecting a handgun. The very first thing to consider is what are you going to use it for.....1st and foremost. Then there are other questions that should be opened for consideration before selection.
1-What is the intended use?
2-Fit and feel.
3-Caliber. Cost of ammo
4-How will you carry it, if it is for carry?
5-Reliability
6-Service and parts availability
7-Warranty
8-Size?
a-subcompact
b-compact
c-Full size
d-pocket pistol
9-Ease of operation
10-Have you tried an assortment of pistols?
11-How much training have you had?
12-Price
13-Accessory availability.
These are not in any order, and there are other thoughts. But these are the minimum you should use to make the decision.....Anyone advising of a gun purchase without this basic information is just not doing the buyer any favors in their purchase......
No matter how cheap the blue gun program is.

·
Super Moderator
26,332 Posts
:thumsup

·
Registered
13,202 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Making it a sticky should work.

Add- type of action. Single, double, revo, semi-auto.
thanks Steve.....go ahead add them but it would be two difference catagories.

Type of pistol-Revolver or Semi
Type of Action- Single, Double or SA/DA since both revo's and semi's have all three actions..

Thanks again.

·
Registered
3,692 Posts
Is mentioning striker or hammer fired/ manual safety/ no safety a good idea?

·
Registered
13,202 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Is mentioning striker or hammer fired/ manual safety/ no safety a good idea?
Not really, to me at least. A striker fired pistol is nothing but a fancy double action only action. And the only real safety is between the ears.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts