Florida Concealed Carry banner

1 - 20 of 80 Posts

·
Registered
3,286 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
First, I'm not a pro, just a guy who has had way too much money wasted on holsters

A holsters job is to hold your gun where you want it, without letting it move. Its also supposed to make operating the trigger impossible while holstered. The last job of a holster is to let you draw with as much speed as possible when you call on it to do so. Those jobs in mind lets answer some questions in brief no sugar coated answers.

Gimmick tricks like trigger guards on a string:
I think the fact I started by calling the gimmicks should say enough

Leather vs Kydex:
Leather is nice, pretty, soft, and the trusted material of the wild wild west. Leather is also costly (for the good stuff which should be read as not the off the counter stuff) and the fastest custom leather holsters will never compete with the speed of a proper kydex.

Hybrid Holsters:
These makers are a dime a dozen, yet somehow the holsters can cost 80-90bucks on average. Several manufacturers claim theirs is better but they are the same EXACT thing. If you insist on these type of holsters, get ahold of Comp Tac. Their Mtac is the king and the only one that is any different from the rest. They all suffer from the leather side not being stiff. If you tighten your belt, eat too much at dinner, loose 5lbs your retention is not the same and your draw will be adjusted without your knowing.

IWB/OWB
Preference call. The right holster (I will get to this in a second) will hold AND conceal any sized pistol IWB or OWB.

Forbus:
Junk.... brittle plastic. In this category goes the black hawk crap, manufacturer supplied or any other plastic holster.

Panther Holsters:
Why have so many people on here gone to the panthers? Simple. It is the lightest, fastest, most comfortable, best concealing holster on the market AND they cost roughly the same as the junk you find at your LGS or wally world. Each is pressed by hand then inspected to exacting tolerances by hand by guys who (you can tell from the price of these things) aren't into making huge money off of them. They are FAR more into making the best of the best. I know (for a fact) that two (could be more) of the highly respected and time tested self defense instructors on here use Panthers. One of which was faster in leather than 99% of us will ever get, and he noticeably shaved time on just the first draw.

sum it up for ya?

Want a holster that will be the best thing you ever spent your hard earned money on... http://pantherconcealment.com/index.html

·
Registered
3,286 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)

·
Registered
8,752 Posts

·
Registered
3,286 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
added to FAQ's for ya

·
Registered
3,286 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Honestly retention? What are you all of a sudden let people reach for your gun? The retention is the same. Keeping the gun out of the BG's hand is NOT the holsters job, its YOURS

·
Registered
3,286 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
For the record.... I have no corelation to Panther Holsters and yes I have tried every holster type I have mentioned.

Why Panther and not some other full kydex company, quality control, customer service? These guys wont sell what they wouldn't stake their lives on.

·
Registered
8,752 Posts
Honestly retention? What are you all of a sudden let people reach for your gun? The retention is the same. Keeping the gun out of the BG's hand is NOT the holsters job, its YOURS
The only reason why I will do this if and when OC happens is just extra protection. Think of standing in line at the 10 items and less lane. The woman behind you with a kid, her kid younging decides what is that and tugs on it. Just one scenario I have thought of. I prefer to be prepared. Just one of those things sully.

·
Registered
8,752 Posts
For the record.... I have no corelation to Panther Holsters and yes I have tried every holster type I have mentioned.

Why Panther and not some other full kydex company, quality control, customer service? These guys wont sell what they wouldn't stake their lives on.

no your supposed to put the type in real tinny when you say that and a small lol

·
Registered
3,286 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The only reason why I will do this if and when OC happens is just extra protection. Think of standing in line at the 10 items and less lane. The woman behind you with a kid, her kid younging decides what is that and tugs on it. Just one scenario I have thought of. I prefer to be prepared. Just one of those things sully.

Again, why are you letting someone touch your gun? If you OC you need to be that much more aware of your surroundings.

·
Registered
3,286 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
sully,
your not using that lotion on the holster are ya?:rofl

Sad story really.... I'm getting rid of the sub compact and wont have a panther to carry for X amount of time.

·
Registered
8,752 Posts
Again, why are you letting someone touch your gun? If you OC you need to be that much more aware of your surroundings.
I'm not saying I'm letting someone touch it. It is the off chance in a line with a child that I worry about. I prefer to take no chances. Because I can't turn around and beat a child. Its against my morlas instead of turning around and beat some idiot with a leg of lamb :)

·
Registered
376 Posts
Unless you're a spaz and yell at people to get away from you in the check out line - for example. People get up close sometimes. It happens. Caution is great, but paranoia isn't healthy.

I will also carry in a retension holster.

I also feel that the public will associate this type of holster to be more responsible than just having half your gun sticking out that "may" fall out and is easy to grab. ( Note "" as public opinion, not mine. ) My 2 cents. Carry as you will if OC ever passes or when you're in an OC state.

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
Wow, I think I need to put Sully on the payroll! :rofl Thanks bro for all of your kind words, and to the members here with all of your support, it's greatly appreciated by Scott and I! :thumsup

Jim

·
Registered
4,845 Posts
Wow, I think I need to put Sully on the payroll! :rofl Thanks bro for all of your kind words, and to the members here with all of your support, it's greatly appreciated by Scott and I! :thumsup

Jim
I was thinking the exact same thing. Time to add a sales position to the staff haha

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
I'm not saying I'm letting someone touch it. It is the off chance in a line with a child that I worry about. I prefer to take no chances. Because I can't turn around and beat a child. Its against my morlas instead of turning around and beat some idiot with a leg of lamb :)
That in one of the most ridiculous excuses I've heard. You think some mom is gonna let her kid get real close and touch your gun? I open carry during my GA trips, I have never had someone get so close to me that I was concerned with them touching/taking my gun, child or adult.

On a side note, during those trips I always carry my pink panther holster with my g26. There's no need for extra retention. My panther holster does its job and I do mine.

Nice post sully.

Sent from my android-powered (iOS beating) Samsung galaxy s3 using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
16,870 Posts
Wow, I think I need to put Sully on the payroll! :rofl
What??? You haven't already?? :laughing

But you deserve the compliments!

From phone....

·
Banned
4,618 Posts

Jim
he isn't a not so silent partner?
his intentions are good but a wee bit over the top.

for example he claims that some plastic holsters are crap, I beg to differ, I love my PLASTIC glock combat holsters I wear them when I want to go OWB either on the range or on the street, they hug my body and for a bit over 10 bucks a copy the price can't be beat!
I also love my remora holsters as well these are my day to day IWB carry holsters, I have 3 of them that I use for all my handguns, comfort and price of these synthetic holsters IMHO can't be beaten.

These statements are not in any way to be construed as a put down of your work which I am certain is very good but is a different view of claims made by a guy who is gushing over your holsters like a teen aged girl does over a boy who kissed her.

·
Super Moderator
19,788 Posts
That in one of the most ridiculous excuses I've heard. You think some mom is gonna let her kid get real close and touch your gun? I open carry during my GA trips, I have never had someone get so close to me that I was concerned with them touching/taking my gun, child or adult.

On a side note, during those trips I always carry my pink panther holster with my g26. There's no need for extra retention. My panther holster does its job and I do mine.

Nice post sully.

Sent from my android-powered (iOS beating) Samsung galaxy s3 using Tapatalk 2
Sorry, GM. That is a VERY real possibility. Not all Moms are as responsible as you.

·
Registered
314 Posts
IF I were to OC, I WOULD have a solid retention system on the holster. No, I am not in "Condition White" when out and about, but even alert & aware folks going about their lives amongst other folks are in vulnerable positions more often than thay may realize.

I am not dissing Sully's findings or Panther holsters (never used one, so I have no opinion on them). I am just relaying what I have observed. I've seen cops on "hot" calls (where they were definitely alert & attuned to surroundings) have someone grip their service weapons. Never saw one taken, but all those rigs had retention devices of one type or another.

Ya think you'll never be in a cashier line, waiting for a traffic light to change, carrying groceries, etc., and have the "loon of the day" decide your OC handgun is his ticket to the evening news? I have no such faith in my prescience (or good fortune). If & when that were to happen, I'd sure like at least some opportunity to react before he/she clears the piece from my OC holster.

1 - 20 of 80 Posts