Florida Concealed Carry banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
3,647 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I own and run my own gun blog, and it's no secret that I post ammo and firearms deals of interest throughout social media and on the blog itself in the form of affiliate links. It's not millions, but the operation pays for itself and I can buy a decent slice of pizza or two afterwards.

Anyways, I posted that Lucky Gunner had some Black Hills 5.56mm 77gr OTM Mk262 Mod 1 in stock. Now, Black Hills is usually pricey, so it's even more pricier in the panic.

Some suggested that we should all stop buying ammo and this will force manufacturers and sellers to lower their price. But, isn't ammo on a slim margin anyways? And aren't we at the mercy of raw materials, etc? Like ammo makers can't control the price of lead and funky primer components...

Thoughts?

·
Registered
8,122 Posts
It's a good idea ,but I don't think we could get enough people to particpate and it could backfire and they might cut back on expanding capacity.

·
Registered
3,577 Posts
I haven't been buying ammo.
Your turn

·
Registered
5,362 Posts
Ammo is not on a slim margin. The margin on ammo is significantly higher than the margin on guns.

I don't think the price of components has gone up that high at the manufacturer's level, it is just a case of demand far exceeding supply.

The single most expensive component of loaded ammunition is the brass case. Before this panic the retail price per primer was under $0.03 each when buying cases of 1000, so that was retail price after wholesale and retail markup. Lead styphnate (the priming compound) isn't in short supply, and isn't hard to make. So the only reason people are paying 3-5 times more today has no justification beyond simple supply and demand.

I agree with the stop buying. Let the demand slow down and the ammo manufacturers to catch up and prices will fall.

We are our own worst enemy at times like this.

·
Registered
55,088 Posts
The suggestion to stop buying ammo would mean people would have to stop shooting. That's not going to happen.

It's like a crackhead having his supplier not have product. As long as the drug user knows he can get his fix anytime he wants, he buys enough for one trip around the sun. Soon as he's denied access due to no supply, he'll panic and try to score a week or months worth if he can find it.

Don't be like the crackhead, when it's available, stock it long deep and continuous in order to not have to go through withdrawals when it's not available. Forethought goes a long way to remaining calm when all else are panicking over lack of supply.

·
Registered
5,362 Posts
That's why I bought ammo by the case when prices were at a 12 year low under Trump. I also stocked up on reloading components, but did very little actual reloading...

·
Registered
8,057 Posts
The “stop buying ammo” idea is on a few gun groups I’ve seen on Fb.
I ask why people are buying now when literally pallets of 9, 45, 223, etc sat out on the main floor at places like Palmetto State Armory gaining dust while people bought more guns and peripheral items. And ammo was cheap!!!
I went to the bank, hooked up my dual axle trailer, went to PSA and cut a cash deal. A cellophane wrapped pallet of boxes was loaded, slightly bent my dual 3500 pound axles, and I went home.

I got sick of telling friends/family to stock up while ammo was cheap and available.
Now I have and they don’t. And I won’t share.

·
Registered
6,793 Posts
I've only bought enough, recently, to complete the test firing and check out firing I need to do on my new "inventory." Once that's done, then I'll hold off until it gets (relatively) cheaper again. Then I'll stock up. I just don't know how much "cheaper" it may get or how long that will take.....

·
Registered
6,582 Posts
Hadd to buy 100 rounds of a caliber that is new to me but otherwise have lots of other sizes which were bought 2016-2018 at super low prices.

·
Registered
8,057 Posts
Hadd to buy 100 rounds of a caliber that is new to me but otherwise have lots of other sizes which were bought 2016-2018 at super low prices.
I’ll buy all of what you have now at a premium of 6% over what you paid. Then you’ll have plenty of cash for that new caliber at today’s prices

·
Registered
55,088 Posts
The “stop buying ammo” idea is on a few gun groups I’ve seen on Fb.
I ask why people are buying now when literally pallets of 9, 45, 223, etc sat out on the main floor at places like Palmetto State Armory gaining dust while people bought more guns and peripheral items. And ammo was cheap!!!
I went to the bank, hooked up my dual axle trailer, went to PSA and cut a cash deal. A cellophane wrapped pallet of boxes was loaded, slightly bent my dual 3500 pound axles, and I went home.

I got sick of telling friends/family to stock up while ammo was cheap and available.
Now I have and they don’t. And I won’t share.
I've had so much stored, I sold off a bunch of 9mm and 223 a few months back. Guess what? What's left has now become free of any expenditure and there's still plenty of each caliber to shoot for the rest of my life. OCD has paid off in this regard in spades

·
Registered
8,665 Posts
I haven’t bought one round since the prices went crazy, and I won't until things settle back down.

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
I no longer buy my monthly box of ammo. I have T&P ammo.
Geoff
Who notes Remington Ammunition is returning to the market, huzzah! whoopie! Oh, rapture unbearable!

·
Registered
6,582 Posts
Just trying to help a brother out.
To all my "brothers"/"friends" here thanks a million but 6 or 7% would not come close to covering the cost delta. And just because I loathed DJT...come on guys!!!!!!! 😀 😀 😀 😀

·
Registered
1,808 Posts
I haven’t bought ammo in 4 years. I would pick up some primers if I found a reasonable deal.

Reactions: BeerHunter
1 - 20 of 41 Posts