Florida Concealed Carry banner

Some class C & G questions

2K views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  joecarry 
#1 ·
I was talking to one of my colleagues who told me he’d met with another attorney who had a Class C license (private investigator) and Class G license (armed security) and that the gentleman clamied with these licenses he could enter any public building (not sure if he was including Federal buildings) and did not have to disarm. He also said that law school was sufficient to meet the education requirements. I read the statute and didn’t find anything explicit to back up his claims, but I only spent 15-20 minutes looking. Perhaps some of you who have the licenses could give me your thoughts? Also, any ideas as to the cost of the class G training and the cost of the annual requalification?

#2 · (Edited)
I imagine Brian will be along to give a lot more than I can, but I have both of those licenses. The G License isn't limited as far as I know to where you can carry with it, the gist is though you have to be "performing regulated duties" in order to be using it so to speak. I guess there can be an argument made that you could always claim you were working as a PI, but wouldn't pass the smell test I don't think if anything ever went sideways and it was discovered you weren't actually working.

The relevant Florida Statute is 493. It also says you must be employed as a CC or D for the G to be any good. I currently hold one and I'm not employed so technically mine isn't any good and I would never carry with the G if I wasn't working anyway. Mine expires in April and I'm not renewing it anyway it's just a waste of money to keep something I can't use anyway.

#3 ·
I imagine Brian will be along to give a lot more than I can, but I have both of those licenses. The G License isn't limited as far as I know to where you can carry with it, the gist is though you have to be "performing regulated duties" in order to be using it so to speak. I guess there can be an argument made that you could always claim you were working as a PI, but wouldn't pass the smell test I don't think if anything ever went sideways and it was discovered you weren't actually working.

The relevant Florida Statute is 493.
Thanks, I was looking in 493 and didn’t see anything which explicitly supported his position. I also saw the “regulated duty” provision you pointed out and must admit it gave me pause. Not sure his claims pass the smell test just because of that provision.

#5 · (Edited)
I was talking to one of my colleagues who told me he’d met with another attorney who had a Class C license (private investigator) and Class G license (armed security) and that the gentleman clamied with these licenses he could enter any public building (not sure if he was including Federal buildings) and did not have to disarm.
Generally speaking this would be true for places that are only prohibited by F.S. 790.06(12)(a) - e.g. a bar. It may or may not be true for places prohibited by other statutes (e.g. schools and 790.115) - there are mixed opinions about that. It would not necessarily be true at all for places federally prohibited unless the federal prohibition contained an exemption that would fit the carrying authorized by 493.6115.

The key here is that the "prohibited places" list found in 790.06(12)(a) only applies to CWFL holders and does not apply to Class G licensees while performing official duties. If you are performing official duties you can carry in a bar, professional athletic event, etc., because there are no statutes that say you can't.

Further, this is what is says on the back of the Class G license:

Text Font

Throughout the state in any location.

I've often wondered how that would work out at a courthouse. There's no legal prohibition against a PI carrying in a courthouse and legally the county can't make any firearms rules, so in theory it would be OK. That said I'm pretty sure the deputies working the metal detectors aren't going to let you in with a gun. They did let me keep my handcuff keys (that they wanted to confiscate) because of my PI license - but that's not a gun either.

He also said that law school was sufficient to meet the education requirements. I read the statute and didn’t find anything explicit to back up his claims, but I only spent 15-20 minutes looking. Perhaps some of you who have the licenses could give me your thoughts?
Here is what the application says about meeting the training/experience requirement:

In order to qualify for a Class “C” license, you must have two years of LAWFULLY GAINED, VERIFIABLE, FULL-TIME EXPERIENCE in one, or a combination of more than one, of the following three categories. Please note that no more than one year of college coursework/training from Category 2 can be applied toward the two-year requirement.
  1. Private investigative work or related fields of work that provide equivalent experience or training.
  2. College course work related to criminal justice, criminology, or law enforcement administration, or successful completion of any law-enforcement-related training received from any federal, state, county, or municipal agency.
  3. Employment as a Class “CC” intern. Internship is computed on a full-time, 40-hour workweek basis. Overtime hours worked beyond the 40-hour workweek cannot be used to reduce the two-year requirement.

Also, any ideas as to the cost of the class G training and the cost of the annual requalification?
The 28 hour Class G course required for initial licensing is around $200 - perhaps a little less here and there. It is generally held as two 10 hour days over a weekend and an 8 hour range day where you will shoot the course of fire. Generally speaking the 28 hour class is going to cover laws, firearm safety, lawful use of force, etc., but generally doesn't not cover any teaching of how to shoot. I always tell people that if you're not already good shooting accurately from a holster then you need to get good before you take the class or you'll fail.

That said, if you're a decent pistol shooter the course of fire is pretty damn easy to pass. I usually get a perfect score on it. It was revised recently and made even more easy as the requirement to draw from the holster has been removed since so many ranges do not allow it. That said, some instructors will still have you draw from the holster.

You cannot apply for a Class G license unless you are simultaneously applying for a Class D, CC, C, M, MA, or MB license, or already have submitted an application for, or already hold, one of those classes of licenses.

Once you get your Class G license you must requalify with the calibers that you will carry each year prior to your license anniversary date. This trips a lot of people up because they miss the year in the middle and then their license gets nuked and they have to take the 28 hour class all over again. The cost of the "requal" is usually around $65 for one caliber and another $55 for each additional caliber. That varies from instructor to instructor.

I think I answered all your questions, but if I glossed over something you'd like more details about please let me know.

#6 ·
Thank you for he detailed answer, Brian. The claim was that he could carry into the courthouse. That would be great if allowed because it would eliminate a window of time and space, from the parking lot into court and back, where one is unarmed. But, like you, I have doubts as to whether the courthouse security officers would let me pass.

#7 ·
In my opinion they legally do not have a choice in the matter. But that's "legally". They would very likely illegally prevent you from entering with it, which could probably then be corrected with a lawsuit. Of course in order for you to be carrying there "on your G license" you'd have to be performing regulated activities. If you were there for jury duty, or as an attorney trying a case, then it's likely you aren't performing regulated private investigator duties. However if you were there to testify in court about an investigation you performed as a PI then I'd say you're performing regulated duties and should be entitled to carry on your G.

#8 ·
I don’t know the legalities of this but I have been in court as a juror and saw were even in uniform officers disarm and put their firearms in a locker with the bailiffs at the metal detectors. They walk into court with an empty holster in full uniform and gear minus their gun. I would think they’d do the same for anyone else even if legally carrying per their job and official duties. Is that just an SOP of the court? :Dunno

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.