Florida Concealed Carry banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Just got my SmartCarry holster for my Sig 225 9mm. Love it! Anyone else try it?

http://www.smartcarry.com

Can wear it with shorts/jeans....even some dress pants and you really can't tell. Tried most IWB and other belt holsters and nothing really would conceal my 9mm.

Wore it outside with shorts this morning to cut the lawn in the heat and was confortable - didn't cause me to sweat any more than usual. Wanted to know if anyone else has had good/bad experience with it?

My friend let me try her Walther PPS 9mm in there and the handle was slim enough that you couldn't see any print even with shirt tucked in. Might look into getting a more concealable weapon.

·
Registered
2 Posts
ThunderWear

I actually have a thunderwear holster its basically the same thing they are direct competitors. I think it's great, your definitly right about how well it conceals the firearm. I carry my glock 27 in it everyday and it is very comfortable for me. Probably one of the best if not the best holster I have ever bought. JMHO... GOOD CHOICE! :drinks

·
Registered
88 Posts
That'd be a good way to stash a bag of weed. :rolf
haha, or coke or whatever your into.:laughing

I know if i was a cop i would not be trying to touch the privates at anypoint hahaha... i think the smart carry is well, good at concealing anything you want it to. that could be a bad thing i guess for some people who have to try and find hidden stuff.:laughing

·
Registered
62 Posts
My glock was too bulky and heavy for the smartcarry. It was very uncomfortable. It didn't even last one day with me

·
Registered
60 Posts
I bought a smart carry for my (Then) Kel Tec PF9. While the holster definitely concealed the gun well, it was not a comfortable rig anytime I sat down for any length of time.

The "Grapes" always felt constricted and needless to say I didn't wear it for that precise reason.

Additionally, off venting liquid waste was always an interesting game of repositioning. One which got old really quick.

I wanted to like it and I tried non-traditional positioning of the holster such as off center. IN this manner the holster was between the middle crotch area and the front hip. This helped with the bathroom dance a bit, but then there was a noticeable bulge off center. LOL... needless to say the holster had all kinds of awkward and embarrassing complications.

I ended up sending it back.

FWIW, I ended up trading in the Kel Tec for a G26 which now usually rides in a fobus ankle holster. The reason I cite this method is that for the armed citizen who finds himself sitting a fair amount during the day, the ankle holster provides superior comfort (No gun digging into your side ...or other areas) and good accessibility. (I.e. draw from a sitting position is not difficult and not always obvious to the BG). Lastly, the ankle rig allows you to dress as you would normally dress and not increase your pants size.

I do not mean to hijack this thread, but to me the reason people look at thunderwear is because they are looking for the "Perfect" holster.

If there is such a thing, I'd like to know about it. I don't think there is and as everyone knows or has heard, you'll end up with a box of holsters by the time you're done.

The idea with thunderwear is that you don't have to increase your pants size and you can store the gun with almost no threat of detection. The only area I think this type of carry has a benefit is in the "Awkwardness" category, bc generally, people aren't going to eyeball the crotchular region when looking for a gun...er weapon.

The ankle holster accomplishes nearly everything the crotch holster does without the relative uncomfort.

The draw technique will be different, (I.e. down on one knee) but with practice you can be at least as quick as the thunderwear, which isn't all that quick anyway. (Remember its not "Mexican style" with the butt of the gun above the belt line. The gun is supposed to be right at or just under the top of the pant belt line).

I found that even with a concealed hammer, some part of the gun got stuck simply bc I wear my belt as a belt is designed to be worn...snugly.

my .025 USD (Adjusted for inflation;)

·
Registered
60 Posts
One thing I realized after I finished posting was that the smart carry option is most viable when carrying a true "Mousegun".

With the KT P-32 or similar sized piece, this method is most tolerable. It is after all a form of pocket carry.

However, for me at this point, the standard side pocket carry was the most tactically sound method of carrying bc I can have my hands in my pocket with gun in hand and not arouse too much suspicion.

I would likely get some very strange stares if I did this with the smart carry method.

I'm not a "Hater" I swear! :rolleyes:

·
Registered
22 Posts
I own one as well, and while it works as designed, I do find it a bit awkward.

For my shape (built like a Ferrari, low and wide), it worked best when turned to the side, with the barrel pointing down my right thigh.

It rode there like a pocket holster, albeit, with the draw being less than convenient as an actual pocket holster would be.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Smart Carry

I carry a Browning BDA-380 in one of Charlie Parrott's Smart Carry holsters and find it very comfortable. By the way, Charlie does business out of Largo, Florida.

·
Registered
39 Posts
After doing some research, I decided on purchasing the SmartCarry for my FNP-40. It's a bit large for concealed carry, but the photos of Charlie with a 1911 appeared to be concealed well.

It fits nice and is very comfortable, but the grip sticks out a bit and can be seen if I have my shirt tucked in. Not an issue with an un-tucked shirt. The reason I bought it was for dress pants and tucked in shirts when working or out on the town. I am bit disappointed and not sure if $55 was worth the price for this.

·
Registered
2,197 Posts
So who has noticed the grip? I've been carrying a Glock 23 with a smartcarry for over a year and have not had anyone notice. from my point of view I can't see how it can be missed but even after I've told friends that I'm carrying they can't figure out where and even after they know they can't always tell. So if it's just your view that is bothering you I'd say try it i'm pretty sure you'll like it.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I just got it in the mail about 2 weeks ago. I haven't worn it outside yet, just around the house to get used to it. Maybe it's just me being a bit self-conscious. My wife says she notices it and thinks it sticks out too much. I will try going out and about and see if I get any strange looks.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts