Florida Concealed Carry banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Super Moderator
5,067 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Who builds the smallest 9mm? I am looking for a small auto for my Dad. I would prefer to get him into at least a 9mm, but all the ones I've found are too big according to him.

He tried my .380 Walther PPKs and he felt it was "too heavy" for a BUG/pocket gun. He has a NAA.22WMR for a pocket gun, which is better than a .357 back home in the safe, but I'd like to see him have a little more bang.

Another plus for a 9mm, is the availability and price of ammo.

·
Super Moderator
5,067 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Maybe the Kel-Tec PF-9?
he looked at one at the Ft Myers show last weekend. He didn't like it: it wasn't that much smaller than the G26 and only about $50 cheaper

·
Registered
252 Posts
Small, light 9mm semi-auto

The Kel-Tec PF9 is among the smaller/lighter ones out there. I will be the proud owner of one on December 25th. (My Christmas gift from my wife.) On December 26th I'm blowing off work and spending the day at the range. I'll let you know how it shoots.

It's a shame he didn't like the PF9 when he saw it. I've found it at least $100 cheaper than a G26 and it's about 1/3 of an inch thinner. It doesn't sound like much, but I will be pocket carrying it. That's not possible with anything tighter than cargo pants with a G26.

- Str8Shooter

·
Super Moderator
5,067 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Weeeeeeeooooo! Rohrbaugh $1149???? I guess I forgot to say I'm a firefighter/paramedic, not a CEO! (Nice gun though)

I think the Kahr is out of my reach too!

·
Registered
55,261 Posts
You asked for the smallest, not the cheapest.

Ain't that the truth:D

Even the pm9 Kahr cost me over 600.00.

Brownie

·
Registered
1,965 Posts
This is the smallest I have seen. Its called a Noisy Cricket and I saw it on MIB, not sure on the caliber though.
:rolf

Seriously though, good luck finding one for your Dad

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
5,067 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The Kel-Tec PF9 is among the smaller/lighter ones out there. I will be the proud owner of one on December 25th. (My Christmas gift from my wife.) On December 26th I'm blowing off work and spending the day at the range. I'll let you know how it shoots.

It's a shame he didn't like the PF9 when he saw it. I've found it at least $100 cheaper than a G26 and it's about 1/3 of an inch thinner. It doesn't sound like much, but I will be pocket carrying it. That's not possible with anything tighter than cargo pants with a G26.

- Str8Shooter
I carry the G26 in a Fobus ankle holster.... Not bad at all. Dad always wears shorts, so no go with the ankle. Maybe I can get him to re-visit the PF9.

Does the PF9 need the fluff & buff?

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
The Kel-Tec P9 is pretty small and thin compared to most compact 9mm's.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Does the PF9 need the fluff & buff?
Whether it does or not, I'm going to F&B at least the feed ramp and the interior surfaces of the slide that contact the aluminum frame rails. I may stop there and fire a few hundred rounds through it, then disassemble and see if there are any signs of abnormal wear.

I'll know more on December 26th. :laughing

- Str8Shooter

·
Registered
55,261 Posts
Str8Shooter,

That's all I've done to the two Kel-tecs I own [ 2 p32's ] and they have run flawless with no more than you suggest for yours.

My wife carries hers into the desert cross draw on the horse 4 days a week. I have to clean it every two weeks or so from the dust it collects on the trail to make sure it stays reliable. I don't carry mine, it's put away and I use the Seecamp if I'm going that route in the pocket now.

Brownie

·
Registered
255 Posts
You could also look into a Kahr CW9. Kahr has a couple other slightly smaller 9s but the CW9 is the least expensive.....can find it online for under $400 new.

It's a single stack so it's going to be thinner than something like a Glock 26. The "height" (top of slide to bottom of mag) is a little longer than the 26 but I can get a full grip on ours (no fingers hanging off or anything). So it kind of depends if something shorter matters more to him or something thinner.

Like I said it's less expensive than the other Kahr 9s BUT still a high fairly high quality and reliable firearm. So far with around 800 rounds through I haven't had a single issue/failure with it. My wife recently used it for her CCW class through work and she said all the local LEO there they had teaching all had good things to say about it.

·
Super Moderator
5,538 Posts
Have you seen the New PT 709 comes out this Month.

http://www.handgunsmag.com/featured_handguns/hg_taurusdown_200809/index.html

Taurus Slims Down
The new PT709 makes for a perfect carry pistol.
By Dick Metcalf

The new Taurus PT709 Slim 9mm semiauto pistol represents a significant departure from Taurus' existing pistol platform designs, embodying a unique combination of tried-and-true traditional compact-auto operating features with several 21st century innovations.

It is an ultra-compact, recoil-operated, polymer-frame, striker-fired single-action with a manual safety, slide lock and excellent handling characteristics. At only 19 ounces, it may not be the smallest medium-caliber auto pistol Taurus has ever produced, but it is the slimmest, and it is designed specifically as a concealed-carry gun.

I have long been a fan of the entire Taurus autoloader line, which up until about a dozen years ago put me in a minority among American handgun enthusiasts, who back then mostly viewed Taurus as a second-level overseas fabricator of inexpensive (and unreliable) clones of brand-name guns.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
Hi Orlando, Thanks for posting the article on the Taurus PT709.

·
Super Moderator
5,067 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Whether it does or not, I'm going to F&B at least the feed ramp and the interior surfaces of the slide that contact the aluminum frame rails. I may stop there and fire a few hundred rounds through it, then disassemble and see if there are any signs of abnormal wear.

I'll know more on December 26th. :laughing

- Str8Shooter
Thanks.... I think I'll see if I can hunt one up before X-Mas for the Ol' Man... If he decides he doesn't like it enough to use, what the hell, I'll get another gun!:dancingbanana

·
Registered
176 Posts
I am also shopping for a small easy to conceal- the PT 709 looks like it may be the one and i prefer 9mm

any word on when it will be on shelfs

1 - 20 of 29 Posts