Florida Concealed Carry banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have and carry a Glock 19. I love the gun, it feels great in my hands and I’m reasonably accurate for an “old guy”

I carry it everyday with an IWB Kydex holster. I have a good belt, a 511 tactical. I still feel like I’m Wyatt Earp most days -my pants hang down to the right and it feels really heavy and bulky. I must look like a 54 year old white hip hop artist.
I’m not tiny, I’m 6’4” and 300 Lbs with big paws.
I’m also self conscious of printing. The G19 isn’t a small gun.

So I’m considering a Hellcat, an M&P shield or a P365XL RomeoZero to ease up the weight and comfort.

Anyone have experience going to a small carry? Did you stay or go back to the larger pistol? Any experience with any of the three “smaller” pistols I mentioned?

The Glock is super reliable, the Toyota Camry of pistols.

·
Registered
6,207 Posts
I’ve been a Glock guy for twenty plus years. Carried a G23, G22, G27, G17, G19, and ended up lastly with a G26. I bought a P365 back in October after I felt it was properly shaken out with the kinks it had initially. I then bought a second one to carry as a bug to the first one as I liked it so much plus a spare 15 round mag. I use the factory 12 round mags in each and they conceal perfectly with a tee shirt or a suit jacket which is my daily attire.

Although the gun is small, I don’t consider 13 rounds of 147g Winchester Ranger T on tap to be any issue. Plus throw in the spare mag and then the bug itself with another 13 rounds. I’m comfortable.

All that being said, my Glocks are still my home defense weapons. The 9mm have 24 round mags and the .40s have 22 round mags.

Good luck. (y)

·
Registered
344 Posts
I carried double-stackers for years. Then, Brownie turned me on to the .45 M&P Shield. I now own three of them. I have carried them for several years, pretty much exclusively. I shoot them as accurately as any double stacker I own. The single-stack profile makes them conceal more easily than wider guns. This is the one I carry most often.
Performance Center Shield.JPG

·
Registered
5,333 Posts
I love my Kimber Micro in a Winturop OWB leather holster at 3pm.
Gun is small but east to shoot, Holster is not the most expensive but #1 in quality.
I have actually forgot I had a gun on me a few times.
It is that comfortable and forgetful.
Ronnie

Reactions: DennyBob

·
Registered
8,665 Posts
I have a Shield, but it’s my “when the back’s out really bad” gun.

I’ve carried 1911’s for most of the last 30+ years, and carried an M&P9 whenever I thought carrying a hi-cap pistol was prudent.

My wife got me a Wilson EDC X9 for our 35th anniversary. It’s a close to Commander sized double stack 9mm 1911 with a grip no wider than a single stack 1911. So, it’s the best of both worlds for me, and I haven’t carried anything else since I got it.

I use a Blade Tech Nexxbelt gunbelt, and have no trouble carrying the pistol on one side, and two 15 round reloads on the other (plus a knife, phone, bunch of keys, a light and wallet). Perhaps you need to find a better gun belt?

·
Registered
6,980 Posts
For a big paw guy, I suggest the G43X. Has more purchase real estate on the grip but thinner than the 19. I use the Shield Arms 15 round mags for a total of 16 on tap. The thin grip helps the pistol “disappear” and cuts down on the pants on the ground look. I also have the Shield 9 and love that pistol as well. The new Shield has my interest as it is a stack and a half design to hold more rounds.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,912 Posts
Gonna be a great day!!
Posts 1 & 2 highly favorable of Glocks. :love::love::love:

Even Caleb is getting in on the action!

-Anduril (aka Glock fanboy)

·
Registered
2,912 Posts
DennyBob,
My EDC is a Glock-19 (winter), or Glock-26 (summer).
(Except the extent of my "hurricane prep" is to switch back to the Glock-19 as needed) :)

My Glock-17 lives in the safe. (An impulse-buy, because it's grey)

·
Registered
4,201 Posts
I still feel like I’m Wyatt Earp most days -my pants hang down to the right and it feels really heavy and bulky. I must look like a 54 year old white hip hop artist.
Well, first off I will say that if you look at pictures of Wyatt Earp, he carried his gun high up on his hip. As did almost all of the cowboys and gunslingers back in the day. It is only in Hollywood where they wear the gun hanging way down low. (And there is that one picture of Billy the Kid, with his gun hanging low, but that is very much the exception.)

That said, if your pants and holster are hanging down that much, you need to tighten things up. Pull your belt in another notch, perhaps. With the right belt and holster, worn properly, your gun should ABSOLUTELY NOT be pulling your pants down more than a very, very little bit!

·
Registered
439 Posts
The Sig. 938 and 365 are close in size. I will carry my 938 in pocket carry usiually when I am not carrying a larger gun. I also have a iwb holster for it. It is very light and does not weigh down my pants. My wife carries a 365 m/s, usually appendix. She had carried larger guns including a 938 but likes the 365 best.

·
Registered
889 Posts
I still carry a G-19 size pistol, but usually opt for my P365 XL--good capacity, super easy to carry and the thing is just amazingly accurate. Just find what works best for you and, as noted earlier, it may just be a matter of changing the belt & holster that you are using rather than the gun.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Well, first off I will say that if you look at pictures of Wyatt Earp, he carried his gun high up on his hip. As did almost all of the cowboys and gunslingers back in the day. It is only in Hollywood where they wear the gun hanging way down low. (And there is that one picture of Billy the Kid, with his gun hanging low, but that is very much the exception.)

That said, if your pants and holster are hanging down that much, you need to tighten things up. Pull your belt in another notch, perhaps. With the right belt and holster, worn properly, your gun should ABSOLUTELY NOT be pulling your pants down more than a very, very little bit!
I agree, I don't know if you use an actual gun belt. But it will make a world of difference. Do a search of "gun belt" in this forum, you will see many good recommendations that will keep your pistol right where you want it.

·
Registered
2,912 Posts
I agree, I don't know if you use an actual gun belt. But it will make a world of difference. Do a search of "gun belt" in this forum, you will see many good recommendations that will keep your pistol right where you want it.
FWIW: I use a "Bio-Belt" from these guys: SuperBio®
Super-stiff, but comfortable to wear. And no way the holster moves during the draw.
It was a recommendation by my brother, so it's not like I did a ton of research on belts.
I got the thinnest Super-Bio belt they had. (Not sure how comfortable the thicker ones might be.)

·
Registered
5,503 Posts
I have a super bio belt also and like it a lot. Since I eventually and painfully learned how to use the blade tech belt that Rick uses, I use it almost exclusively and I dare say I’ve never forgotten how it operates.

·
Super Moderator
29,476 Posts
I have a super bio belt also and like it a lot. Since I eventually and painfully learned how to use the blade tech belt that Rick uses, I use it almost exclusively and I dare say I’ve never forgotten how it operates.
Still laughing over your description of how you learned how to operate that Blade-Tech Belt! 🤣

I been wearing a Kore Essentials for two years now, which is very similar in operation to that Blade-Tech.

·
Registered
8,665 Posts
Did you see those belts when you signed in for EBL’s last Okee class? they had a nice selection of Blade Tech Nexbelts in stock.
I’d been wanting to get a tan one to go along with my black one, and when we saw them there; Bob and I each bought one. it was his first gun belt, so he got off to a good start.

·
Registered
2,912 Posts
Did you see those belts when you signed in for EBL’s last Okee class? they had a nice selection of Blade Tech Nexbelts in stock.
I’d been wanting to get a tan one to go along with my black one, and when we saw them there; Bob and I each bought one. it was his first gun belt, so he got off to a good start.
If we have any fellow camera enthusiasts here (and who doesn't need another expensive hobby?!), check out these camera straps:
My personal favorite, Link: Standard 53 - Dark Brown Mocha
Main page: Camera Straps
They don't pay me to hype them. Really nice stuff!!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts