Florida Concealed Carry banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
653 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I am writing this at 4 am my time because I couldn't sleep thinking of it. Let me explain.

Last night my neighbor and his son came to my house to see my son who came from Iraq for a visit. They have known him since he was in second grade. My neighbor who is about my age, late fifties told me a story that happened to him just last week when he was visiting Six Flags with his wife.

He said he was walking to the lockers section by himself and his wife was waiting for him back at a ride across the park. They wanted to get on some rides and he was putting the camera in a rental locker for safe keeping. On his way there he came across two young girls, he said they looked like in their late teens, maybe 17 or 18. He said that as he approached them they grabbed each others hand and he couldn't get between them so he had to stop because they just kept coming at him. When he came to a stop he suddenly felt someone trying to get into his rear pocket. He swirled around and grabbed behind him. He said a third girl about the same age was trying to pick his wallet out of his pocket. He said he had her by the arm but she was very strong and broke his grip. He told them he was going to call the police. He pulled out his cell phone and he said one of them grabbed it out of his hand. When he tried to get it back the others pushed him away from her. He said one of them told him if he called the police they would tell them he was sexually harrassing them and he would be the one to get in trouble. He said he started yelling for the police.

He said it took what seemed a life time to get a cop to the scene. The girls kept telling him they were going to acuse him of touching them. When the police arrived, he said the girls began telling him that my friend was fondling them. They told him he grabbed one's breasts and the other said he grabbed her behind. They told him he was making sexual passes at them and saying sexual profanities. My neighbor said they were talking so loud that he couldn't get a word in. When ever he tried to tell the officer they were trying to rob him they would interrupt yelling that he was a pervert and tried to sexually molest them.

Here is were it gets really weird. He said the cop told him to shut up and handcuffed him but did not detain the girls at all. The cop had called for back up and they took just as long to get there. Mean while he was handcuffed and the girls were making all sorts of accusations. He said he finally lost it and threated the cop with a law suit and yelled at him that he is the victim not the girls. The cop then said something really stupid out loud. He said, "don't worry if you are right we will find out. The area is surrounded by security cameras and we have it all on tape." On that he said he heard one of the girls yell out "code red" and they all scattered and ran. When they reviewed the tape he said that there was not just three but at least five girls and maybe a couple of boys that ran from the scene.

I woke up this morning and couldn't get back to sleep thinking of this. There is so much that doesn't make sense here. A team of pick pockets like that I would think are professionals or at least experienced. Why would they hang around an area after being made, especially with cops around? Why would they repeat a botched attempt at pick pocketing. I would think one bad attempt would have been enough and they would have moved on to a new mark. Why would they make up a story about the guy instead of just getting out when the cop got there? All I can think of is what happened to another friend of mine about ten years ago. He picked up two young girls that were hitch hicking late at night. He took them home and about two days later the police came to his house and arrested him. The girls accused him of sexually molesting them. To make it short, he was booked, finger printed and charged. The girls later contacted him asking for money and they would say it was all a mistake. He accepted but had the foresight of telling the police who were at the scene for the exchange of cash and the girls were arrested for false accusations and black mail. Anyway I don't think this is the case here though.

My neighbor said that all the kids were strong and the girls while very pretty seemed "butch" in the way they talked and carried themselves. He said they had larger biseps than he did. They didn't get his wallet but took his phone and he had to call the phone company and have it disconnected. He didn't take any legal action against the park. He feels the cop did his job even though he got a raw deal from him. His lawyer also told him it would be hard to make it stick.

I woke up and kept running this scenario in my mind. What if it was me in that situation? What if I had been carrying my weapon in my back pocket as I usually do?

The weapon would be in real danger of being taken from me. I couldn't pull the gun because my life was not in danger and that would be brandishing. With that many of them, if I happen to wander into a secluded area or got pulled into an alley or behind a kiosk I would have been over powered. And with a gun in my pocket that would have been taken from me if I don't draw it. The noise from the park would drown out any screams.

If one of the pick pockets had made my gun in her attempt they could have accused me of pulling the weapon out. That would have made for a very ugly encounter with the cop until it was cleared. Geez, I can't sleep thinking of this.:eek:

·
Registered
21 Posts
That's why I carry my wallet in a front pants pocket whenever I'm in an unfamiliar area with lots of people. That way I can accuse them of molesting me if they try to reach in my pants to get my wallet!

Those chuckleheads may not have been pros, but they were definitely organized and had a plan ("Code Red???" Beautiful!!). They continued to hang out because they were female and knew they could throw out the "molestation" ace card right away...and it worked, didn't it?!

I've had kids (male and female) try to run crap on me at the local mall where they will walk six abreast and try to force everyone in their path to get out of the way. I just put my shoulder down and shove through them (though most of the time all it takes is a look that tells them, "I'm not intimidated and this will get ugly quick"). Their pack mentality seems to take quite the bruising when someone does that to them, especially if they spout off and I turn around and actively respond to them. More often than not they just walk away mumbling under their breath, then start getting loud (read: bad) again once they're 50 or 60 feet away. At that point, what do I care?

If I were your friend, I think I would write the park management team and tell them why I will not be back to their place of business until they re-think their security measures and response.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Pocket carry

It sounds like your neighbor did all the right things. He proctected his wallet and made noise enough to attract the police. They handled it poorly, of course. If *HE* was the one calling for police, it should've been obvious that he was *NOT* molesting them.

It also sounds as if the punks had not rehearsed their plan B well. I would bet they'd counted on the "molestation" threat to be sufficient to silence any would-be victims of a botched attempt. I'll bet that's why they waited around for the police instead of splitting when your neighbor made their attempt. He threw them from their plan. They were ratttled and did not know what to do next when their threat lacked its intended effect. Unfortunately, they probably won't be as sloppy next time.

It definitely illustrates two things: (1) that we need to think about how we'd handle such a situation if we'd been in it, and (2) that we need to think about what happens if our actions do not provoke the expected response in the other person. You're clearly thinking about #1 and it's clear the punks had not considered #2.

This situation definitely reinforces my desire to front pocket carry my Kel-Tec PF-9 or carry IWB when I can conceal it with a jacket or sweater. (My job doesn't permit me an untucked shirt.)

- Str8Shooter

·
Registered
11,170 Posts
I would absolutely threaten the park with legal action and I would demand copies of their security tapes. I would also contact the LE in that jurisdiction and ask to speak to a detective in their gangs unit (assuming they have such a unit). If that went nowhere, I would call the Attorney General in that state (I'm assuming this occurred in GA?) and I would call the local media in that area.

I would make such a stink over this incident that they'd be able to smell it in China. :mad:

As far as them getting a hold of my gun, if there's more than one of them and they lay hands on me, the gun will be drawn. I will not be the least bit concerned over a "brandishing" charge if I'm being attacked by multiple assailants...it would take a really stupid police officer to arrest me for that (unfortunately, plenty of them fall into that category).

·
Registered
974 Posts
I may ask what is being done before I take legal actions against the police.

If they're trying to investigate the issue I would leave it be. If they said, oh well, then I may make a stink.

As far as having a weapon, if you're facing multiple attackers you have a valid reason to concern yourself about serious injury. After reading about this incident I'll assume that if there are multiple female aggressors then there are multiple male aggressors in the background and take action with that in mind.

·
Registered
10,558 Posts
He feels the cop did his job even though he got a raw deal from him.
No, I am sorry but I cannot agree. When a police officer investigates a complaint there are three sides to every story.

The complainant, the accused, and the truth. When I got a conflicting story such as this, I considered ALL parties to be either suspects or parties of interest.

Everyone would have been detained, not just your friend. I may not have been able to detain ALL of the offenders, but I would have been able to be sure that at least ONE of them remained under my control, and started my investigation from there.

The police officer who handled your friend's situation let his sympathy for the alleged "victims" sway his decision making. In other words he : censored up and allowed ALL of the offenders to get away because he concentrated SOLELY on your friend.

Tell your friend to get another lawyer, one that has some "shark blood" in him.

·
Super Moderator
5,067 Posts
All I can say is WOW!

I was dating a chicka a while back who had a 17 year old daughter who didn't like me. She confided in her mom that she was going to go to school and tell the teacher I was "touching" her (Never got within 5 feet of her without Mom present).

The thought occurred to me how thin the ice is where such accusations are concerned. If you are actually arrested, EVEN if you are completely exonerated, the "Sexual Predator" label stays on your record FOREVER!

·
Super Moderator
6,151 Posts
The two things that bother me the most about this is the policeman's assumption that your neighbor was guilty. I'm sure that he has seen the rampant crime by punks such as this group and yet he still did not handle it correctly. He has probably seen every trick in the book and you would think that experience would allow him to see through the farce of these girls.

The other thing that bothers me the most is that the only thing that seems to be on your neighbor's side is the video camera recording everything. His word was not enough even though he was calling for the police. What would have happened to him if there was no evidence to back up his claim that he was the victim?

It is cases such as this one that we have to accept that a video camera infringing on our privacy is the same camera that will prove innocence.

MamaBear

·
Registered
2,083 Posts
Anytime you see something that grabs your attention like that, look behind you or around you for accomplices.

One of my instructors was in a mall parking lot one day, and as he approached his car, he noticed some fella casually leaning against the trunk, watching him. Instinctually, he thought 'distraction', and turned around, to see another punk sneaking up behind him. Both idiots realized they were made, raised their hands up like "it's cool", and walked away.

In general, scumbags are looking for victims, not opponents.

-JT

·
Registered
974 Posts
Anytime you see something that grabs your attention like that, look behind you or around you for accomplices.

-JT
I was also taught to look around you any time you're doing something like counting money. Heck, don't do it at all if you can avoid it.

Most people give 100% concentration to counting money. They wouldn't see a grizzly bear walking up beside them much less a bad guy behind them.

·
Super Moderator
6,151 Posts
Most people give 100% concentration to counting money. They wouldn't see a grizzly bear walking up beside them much less a bad guy behind them.
Nor would they see or expect a MamaBear to sneak up behind them either. Let's all get into the mindset that the young women of our time are not always ladies.

MamaBear (the nice kind)

·
653 Posts
I haven't spoken with my neighbor since the day he told me his story. I can imagine he has other things on his mind. He is a contractor and with the economy the way it is going and the lack of work, I can imagine he has his hands full finding work. My partner and I have decided to close our consulting firm down at the end of this month from lack of work. I doubt he has followed up on this or will ever bother. I know I have my hands full finishing the last job on the books and trying to find full time work.

All in all the lesson I take from this is like I said to my boy in Iraq this morning. : censored happens all the time and bad things happen to good people. Keep your wits about you and as long as you have done everything right it all sorts out at the end (or so we hope).

I don't know if the law enforcement that responded to him was park security or real LEO. But any situation can go bad at the drop of a hat. Also when at these parks stay within camera view at all times. I wonder how it would have gone down if he had a CCW and drew his weapon on those kids. I wouldn't, that was not a threat to life, but I can see where someone could get frustraed enough to draw.

·
Registered
2,083 Posts
I was also taught to look around you any time you're doing something like counting money. Heck, don't do it at all if you can avoid it.

Actually, being a proud nerd, I WOULD notice a grizzly walking up beside me, as it'd be completely in the wrong environment. I wouldn't be thinking, "Augh! A bear!" but rather, "Hey, what are you doing in FL?" :laughing

-JT

·
Registered
974 Posts
Actually, being a proud nerd, I WOULD notice a grizzly walking up beside me, as it'd be completely in the wrong environment. I wouldn't be thinking, "Augh! A bear!" but rather, "Hey, what are you doing in FL?" :laughing

-JT
I would probably be wondering if I can run faster than the guy beside me.

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
overly paranoid self says:

1. Why didn't they leave when made? Maybe to get him to pay off on the sex assault?

2. Why didn't they leave when the guard showed up? In on the take?

3. They only left when other guards were on the way....

·
Registered
55,261 Posts
Going the other way, he could have been arrested falsely, the cameras may not have been in that area, and he'd be able to get off the charges fairly quickly by voluntarily paying for a polygrapher to hook him up through his atty:

I had a buddy who was accused of burning his own building [ a gym ] and the cops were investigating and making threats they were going to file charges. His atty had him take a polygraph at his own expense [ back in 93 it was 500.00 ], submitted the report to the DA's office and no charges were filed when he passed it.

Brownie

·
Registered
321 Posts
One thing I would never do, and that is carry in my back pocket or SOB, for exactly that reason. And my wallet is in a zippered back pocket that is so tight, even I can't get it out without work. Ain't nobody going to pick my pockets. And there probably would have been a very quick "Code Red" once they found out I was packing.

·
Registered
55,261 Posts
I don't carry a wallet at all. Money clip in the left front pocket, ID's can be anywhere depending on what I'm wearing.

Usually my back pockets are filled with guns in the summer if wearing dungarees and they moved to the front pockets if in the summer when wearing the type of pants that have the button down deep pockets on the sides of the legs. In this case, grabbing for a wallet and touching/attempting to take the gun could be considered attempted murder on their part, easily within the realm of drawing it to defend from a gun grab.

Probably wouldn't draw it in this case with the girl, but the person who puts their hand on the gun is going to be taking a few strikes if male.

Brownie

·
Registered
39 Posts
I would probably be wondering if I can run faster than the guy beside me.
Another good reason to carry, shoot him in the leg will provide you a better chance of escape....:D

1 - 20 of 20 Posts