Florida Concealed Carry banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5,063 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Grabbed these pictures from a gunsmithing group on facebook.

Apparently an individual chambered a 300 Blackout round into a 5.56 rifle and pulled the trigger.

Supposedly the rifle survived. Thinking about it, I could see where it is theoretically possible if the back of the case blew out hard enough to unlock the bolt, thus allowing the pressure to vent out the ejection port and blow up the magazine, so all the pressure could escape, it is possible the rifle could survive without blowing up or bulging the barrel.

Certainly not an experiment I would want to try.

Reactions: Caleb

·
Super Moderator
26,350 Posts
Wow, that's some serious crazy, right there! Regardless, I couldn't trust that rifle again, at least not the upper receiver, barrel, bolt, etc.

·
Registered
2,544 Posts
I'm going to guess a whole magazine was fired or more and those are 3 rounds that were dug out of a back stop...or those 3 pictures are so different in lighting that was the one round fired and found?

·
Registered
355 Posts
The bottom pic is not related to the projectiles shown in the top 2 pics. I know the guy that discharged the .300 BO in the bottom pic as I helped him remove the stuck case. I did not have a rod to drive the round out of his barrel so his smith did it.
The saving grace in his case was the .300 BO was a subsonic round. His description of the event was was like to propellant burned off slowly or in other words there was enough places for the gas to escape without blowing up the upper or blasting the bottom of the mag out. Had it been a supersonic round it would have been a different story. As far as the condition of the upper & barrel, I did not feel any bulged spots on the barrel. His smith inspected the barrel & upper with a scope & noted no distortion or any other damage. He was lucky & it was certainly a learning experience. I also havea .300 BO SBR & take extra steps when other shooters are around & want to try it out up to the point that we put away all other .223 REM ammo.

Reactions: Rick McC.

·
Registered
5,063 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Nice info, thanks!

Did you upload that pic to the FB group?

·
Registered
10,748 Posts
I'm having a hard time believing that happened as told.... to EXTRUDE the bullet to that degree... or to any degree, really. I'm not seeing it. It would take a hydraulic press of rather enormous power to do that, I think. To do it with only expanding gasses? Gasses that have other routes of escape (paths of lesser resistance) out the back of the rifle? The physics aren't making sense to me.

Has anyone seen an extruded bullet like that before?

Was the shooter injured?

·
Registered
5,850 Posts
I have my mags and upper marked 300blk for this very reason.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,063 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That was all of the information that was posted. No mention of injuries.

Yes, it is entirely possible to extrude a bullet like that. Max pressure for a 300 blackout is 50000 psi, the equivalent of a 25 ton press. I would bet the case tutored at some point, but brass cases can easily contain standard chamber pressures.

·
Registered
355 Posts
Nice info, thanks!

Did you upload that pic to the FB group?
I posted the pic & the story to another AR forum. I'm not sure if his gunsmith posted it anywhere else.

·
Registered
355 Posts
I'm having a hard time believing that happened as told.... to EXTRUDE the bullet to that degree... or to any degree, really. I'm not seeing it. It would take a hydraulic press of rather enormous power to do that, I think. To do it with only expanding gasses? Gasses that have other routes of escape (paths of lesser resistance) out the back of the rifle? The physics aren't making sense to me.

Has anyone seen an extruded bullet like that before?

Was the shooter injured?
I examined the upper the day after it happened. I was able to get the bolt unlocked & the casing out of the chamber. I did not have a rod to drive out the stuck round. The shooter was not injured, luckily, which I believe was only due to the cartridge being a subsonic round. This was the first time I have ever seen a round extruded like this but have read about similar accounts. Another incident was reported before this one that described the "gas release" exactly as my friend described what happened in his case. Physics aside, it was the best possible outcome given the circumstances.

Reactions: racer88

·
Registered
355 Posts
That was all of the information that was posted. No mention of injuries.

Yes, it is entirely possible to extrude a bullet like that. Max pressure for a 300 blackout is 50000 psi, the equivalent of a 25 ton press. I would bet the case tutored at some point, but brass cases can easily contain standard chamber pressures.
The max pressure of 50K, is that a super or subsonic round?
What is not shown in the bottom photo is the primer was popped & the rim of the case was cracked. I would assume most of the pressure relief went out that back of the case thru the bolt. Again the round was a subsonic round.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts