Florida Concealed Carry banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

· Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The shooting in Texas last week got me thinking. How do you position yourself when in a restaurant/diner? Do you choose a booth or a table with chairs? Facing the doors? Near to an emergency exit? How do you set yourself up for success/survival?

· Registered
16,967 Posts
I almost always face the door. I also note where exits are, including the kitchen (there is always an exit in the back of the kitchen). If in a booth, I sit on the outside.

· Registered
7,908 Posts
Table or booth does not matter to me as long as I’m on the outside facing the door. I don’t much care about emergency exits but I do look to be behind a really fat person. They tend to work better then kevlar when the shooting starts! :LOL:

· Registered
1,895 Posts
I generally sit convenient to a secondary exit, and where I won't be among those first seen by would-be assailants. I don't make a big deal out of it if available seating is less than optimal.

· Registered
8,566 Posts
A lot depends, though, upon where the Host/ess seats you. You may not get the best choices, especially in high end places and if you'rel alone.

Where I can, I would, obviously face the door and be in a booth where I'm not having to knock over chairs to get out.

Then again, I don't get out to restaurants much anymore, anyway, so.... :unsure:

· Administrator
32,986 Posts
I almost always face the door. I also note where exits are, including the kitchen (there is always an exit in the back of the kitchen). If in a booth, I sit on the outside.
It appears that on this question, racer and myself are of quite similar mindsets. 🤠

Reactions: Calimwulf

· Registered
21,770 Posts
i request the restaurant is closed and any remaining guests are frisked and background checked...then i rope off the area i am sitting in and place my gun under a napkin on the table...

· Registered
16,967 Posts
  • Haha
Reactions: BeerHunter

· Registered
153 Posts
Ditto. I always look to face the entrance. The exception is if I'm accompanied by another who is carrying, in which case I'll then sit so I can cover the rest of the establishment.

· Registered
58,170 Posts
Facing the entrance when possible, booth or table is fine and I'll choose one of either available to me based on their locations.

I've been to some pretty seedy places in the inner cities for lunch. It's not beyond the realm of possibility that I unloose the gun from it's holster and place it under my left leg at times in some locales.

I look for a back exit, and usually observe how to get to the kitchen and plan to move to and through the kitchen of the place to a back exit

· Registered
21,770 Posts

· Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I worry less about the entrance than I do about the people already inside, and my proximity to an exit. If possible, I try to have as few people behind me as possible. Optimally, I'm sitting with my back to a wall, and right next to the kitchen doors. I'll sit in a booth with no problems as long as there's a chair nearby I can throw (followed by fast moving lead projectiles).

· Registered
21,770 Posts
the shooting in texas may change some people's minds...he was facing the entrance and not really in a position to draw when the perp started his rant and robbery...he ended up waiting until the peropp passed him..made more threats then came by toward the door opening a shot in the back...had the shooter been facing away from the door he may have been able to take the robber by surprise just after he passed him the first time...

there is no right or wrong...only reacting the best you can to a situation...

1 - 20 of 38 Posts