Florida Concealed Carry banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody out there toting a Sig Sauer .45ACP - P220 or P245 ??

I just discovered that they were designed to carry "hammer down on a loaded chamber". Now that sets my mind at ease. I think I'll trade my 1911 - I stay worried about toting the 1911 "hot cocked".

·
Registered
11,197 Posts
I used to have a P220 (I kick myself for ever getting rid of it now) and my wife currently totes a P228. Hammer down carry on a loaded chamber is safe on all DA/SA pistols; that's the way they were designed to be carried.

Of course, that now opens up the whole tired 'DA/SA vs. SA' debate. :doh

·
Registered
30 Posts
I carry a DA/SA version of the P220 every day with a loaded chamber. Almost all modern pistols are designed to be 'drop-safe' while loaded. There is also no reason to be nervous about carrying a 1911 cocked and locked though. They are designed to be carried that way and there is nothing inherently unsafe about that mode of carry.

If you are looking into picking up a P220, I would recommend looking at the P220 Carry line from Sig. They are a tad shorter (about 3/4 inch) than the traditional P220 and are far better balanced in the hand. I used to carry a full sized 220ST and now my EDC is a 220 Carry Elite.

FLSig

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
SIG P220 Compact

I did trade my 1911 Colt New Agent for a new SIG P220 Compact and I'm looking forward to going to the gunnery range soon. The P220 is supposed to be an extremely accurate pistol and I really like their motto "To Hell And Back Reliability".

There are a number of articles on the net about SIG's 4 Point Safety System, so I feel a lot better about carrying this pistol.

Also, I just discovered today that the Sig actually beat out the Beretta 92 in the trials years ago - the Sig was just a little more expensive. I also own a Beretta 92FS INOX and I think it is a fine weapon - just a tad too big to carry concealed.

·
Registered
578 Posts
Probably the most accurate semi I own, alas its regulated to the bedside
as my G23 is my EDC on and off duty.

My new G/F loves shooting it and when her permit gets here she wants to carry it.

·
Registered
55,472 Posts
I've got three sig 220's. Two with no rail from W. Germany and the newer 220 "carry" with rail made in Exeter, NH.

I carried the 220 "carry" [ commander sized to the 220 ] for a good part of the summer, but have found I like my glock 21 SF [ short frame ] better as I'm much more familiar with the glocks trigger from carrying them for years, the double action first shot take 10 pounds of pressure vs 5.5 for the glock [ which remains the same for every pull ] and the higher capacity [ 8+1 vs 13+1 ] of the glock.

I won't sell any of my Sigs:)

Brownie

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Sig P220 Compact Range Report

I took the Sig to the range and put 100 rounds through it. Using a rest position, I took out the bullseye with 2 clips at 30 feet.

Not being a 45ACP pistolero, I was IMPRESSED.

I also fired at sticks and dirt balls about 80 feet downrange and came within 6 inches of hitting them - I am HAPPY.

So, the Sig P220 Compact is everything they say it is, I feel safe carrying it with "one in the tube and the hammer down".

I have a Galco Vertical Shoulder holster that I will use once it cools down a little and I can wear a larger shirt. In the meanwhile, I carry a S&W .38 SPCL (Hammerless) Airweight in my pocket while wearing summer clothes.

:drinks

·
Registered
30 Posts
Good choice and I'm glad to hear you are impressed. Get a few hundred more rounds through it to make sure it's as reliable as possible before carrying it but I think you are on the right road.

FLSig

·
Registered
25 Posts
I also sold a 1911 (a Kimber which I really liked) for the P-220 I now own. My reason was the de-cock function versus the thumb safety of the 1911.

The SIG is a beautiful gun and for a fairly large piece it is surprisingly easy to carry. Although, I must admit I am now carrying my new SIG, a P-232 in 380 ACP, and am even more happy with it as a carry weapon. The 380 round is, after all, 9mm short so it has decent power and impact.

It appears that the 380 is enjoying a popularity heretofore not seem. At two gun shows in two weeks I have found 380 ammo either sold out or in short supply.

Enjoy your 220; you'll love it, trust me.

Have a day. Bang Gunley

·
Registered
20 Posts
Late to the Dance

But as my first 45acp was a Sig Sauer P220 Compact, I wanted to respond. What a great shooting firearm. I love the SIGLITE Night Sights and the decocker. I have way over 1000 rounds through mine and have zero problems. I enjoy letting those that have not fired a 45 or a Sig Sauer shoot it at the range. They are always impressed. They expect a lot of snap but are pleasantly surprised by the "shove" of a 45acp. My P220 Compact has gobbled up any ammo I have fed it, including my reloads. I carry it packed with 230gr Remington Golden Sabers.

·
Banned
11,161 Posts
I carried a Sig P220 for 25 years in law enforcement. I put over 15,000 rnds through it with no problems. It is quite possibly the Rolls Royce of double action .45's. The only drawback is the size, which can make for carry problems in a warm climate such as Florida. Now that I have retired, I would strongly consider a P220 carry or a 245, if i could find one. Fine weapons, all.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I carry a full size Sig P220. I love it. It is the most accurate handgun I own. It is a slight bother to carry, but for the accuracy it is worth it. I had a Sig P245 (which is the older P220 compact) and it was not near as accurate a the full size. It is easier to conceal, but is it really worth carrying if I'm not that accurate with it? Another negative was that it only had a 6+1 capacity. Just curious, what setup (how) do you carry the full size P220?

·
Registered
55,472 Posts
I carry my full sized W. German 220 in a strong side pancake holster made by John O' Rourke of Alabama.

I'll be carrying the 220 tomorrow and probably the rest of the week. I swap between that and the G17 all the time. I don't find the 220 all that difficult to carry concealed. It's actuallyeasier to hide in the pancake than an XD or Glock 21sf.

Mac45,

I also carried a Sig 226, then 228 on duty for years. Great duty guns, those Sigs.

Brownie

·
Registered
55,472 Posts
Just out of curiosity, why swap between different guns for every day carry?

When I'm working the gun shop, I stand a better chance of having multiple BG's [ read as bangers ] try to take the place down. I want hi capacity capability at that time, hence the glock 17.

When I'm out and about and not faced with the same potential, the single stack will likely be enough. In the shop, I want to reduce the chance of having to reload during a running battle with multiples.

Playing the odds and having some forethought in these matters can make all the difference between staying above ground or getting planted in the future. There's really nothing to swapping between the two platforms. Both are point and click without manipulation of levers from the holster.

I carried a Sig 226, then 228 on duty for just over 5 years with one dept, then a glock on another dept. I run em both almost as well, but that's only because I don't carry the sig as often as the glocks and don't have the same rounds count through the two platforms.

I'd say 50K+ through the sigs, about 150K+ through all the glocks over the last 20 years or so.

Brownie

·
Super Moderator
10,821 Posts
Thanks. I'm glad I asked. I never would have guessed that high capacity was the issue.

·
Registered
55,472 Posts
Steve,

If you don't mind answering, what were your initial thoughts in my swapping between the two platforms?

Thanks

Brownie

·
Super Moderator
10,821 Posts
My first reaction was that you just wanted to "keep your hand in" with different weapons. Silly, I suppose, but I know that you have a lot of different guns, and I'm not familiar enough with the Sig to know that it is single stack rather than high capacity.

·
Registered
55,472 Posts
Thanks for the reply Steve.

It never hurts to keep your hand in different firearms platforms, it's all good muscle memory if you shoot enough to be able to use them close to or equally as well.

Stay sharp

Brownie

1 - 19 of 19 Posts