Florida Concealed Carry banner

1 - 20 of 155 Posts

·
Registered
4,719 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
(Wasn’t sure where to post this, Mods, please feel free to move if I posted in the wrong section.)

The question is: What do you do and when do you do it.

This is what you know

1. You have prepped and have everything you need for 1 year for you and your family that is living with you only

2. You live in a rural area more than 1 tank of gas away from a major city, but there are towns closer

3. Your house has a 100yd clear field of view around it; beyond that is bush and trees

4. You have a scoped rifle, and the skills to hit a rabbit out to 200yds.

5. You have a few close friends (15 adults - that includes the adults in your friends families - or less, not close by) who have prepped but not as well as you. They might need your help and some of your supplies.

6. You discussed with these friends before the current situation about helping each other out if SHTF or TEWAWKI. And you have discussed it since SHTF or TEWAWKI occurred but none of you have been tested

7. The SHTF or TEWAWKI cause is not biological or contagious.

8. SHTF or TEWAWKI appears to be nationwide

9. It is day 50 of SHTF or TEWAWKI it started with a nationwide electrical blackout, and progressed to oil refinery problems - fuel shortages, some communications out - cell phone, internet. Gradually since day 1 food deliveries were delayed. Over the next 49 days shortages and hunger, then starvation, closing of businesses, food riots, increase in crime, rioting and fires occurred.

What you do not know

A. You do not know if this is SHTF or TEWAWKI so civil, law, authority might be reestablished in the future

B. You do not know who or what caused the SHTF or TEWAWKI

Here is what is what you see
1. It is sun rise of day 50 of SHTF or TEWAWKI
2 You look out your window and see the following at 100 yards with your binoculars
a. A man is looking at your house, small garden, chicken coop and, tilled fields through his binocular
b. A total of 15 people
3 men 30 - 35 yo
3 women 30 – 40
2 teenage girls
2 teenage boys
4 children - 2 boys, 2 girls
1 baby in one of the women’s arms

Here is what happens:

100 yards - they all put down their backpacks and what they are carrying down in a pile and begin to walk to your house in a line so you can see them all.

80 yards - they all stop, take off their jackets - show they are empty, raise their shirts, turn fully around - show nothing is concealed, do the same with their pants and the children

60 yards - your armed roving patrol runs up to the group and stops the group. (you and your friends put 4 patrols together - 2 day, 2 night - this is the one closest to you, they only walk, also have fixed locations with some good sight lines – not great, this is flat land)

60 yards - the patrol stops the 3 adult men and 2 women but adult mother and child with others continue walking towards the house. The adults tell your patrol that they need food, water and a place to stay. They saw what was developing in the cities and got out. Your patrol radios you with this info.

40 yards - the young people continue walking

20 yards - the young people continue walking

0 yards - you are behind a secure door, the young people are at your door saying - we need food, water, shelter – especially for the children, they continue to talk though the door and tell you stories about the savagery and hunger in the cities.

They are from a church group day care center. The children are not theirs but those of mothers and fathers that have been killed by criminals and medical problems.

Like many in the cities they were able to get buy with the dwindling food in the stores and homes for awhile. Then they were able to use some of the food in the church. When they saw things were not getting better, they took the church's van as far as they could and then walked. They have learned to work together and have survived by traveling at night and being as quiet as possible.

The tell you that they can not walk any further and are not moving any further.

They tell you there are more like them behind coming.

What do you do and when do you do it? Elaborate, please.

(I've obtained permission to use this post as it is not of my creation.)

·
Super Moderator
19,792 Posts
This should be intersting!

·
Registered
6,889 Posts
Wow. Up until "They tell you there are more like them behind coming", I knew exactly how I would answer the scenario. But this part threw a mop handle in my spokes. Soul searching time.
Beers y'all,
Ken

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
Tell em " NO VACANCY " !!!! TEWAWKI isn't a place that liberals survive !!!! ( same as in the beginning )

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
Excellent post !!!!! Good call Misty02,.. can't wait to see replies ! :grin
post script,... OP must share her thoughts as well !!!!

·
Registered
10,558 Posts
Oh, I am probably going to get flamed for this but what the heck, it has never stopped me in the past. :grin

1. You have prepped and have everything you need for 1 year for you and your family that is living with you only

9. It is day 50 of SHTF or TEWAWKI it started with a nationwide electrical blackout, and progressed to oil refinery problems - fuel shortages, some communications out - cell phone, internet. Gradually since day 1 food deliveries were delayed. Over the next 49 days shortages and hunger, then starvation, closing of businesses, food riots, increase in crime, rioting and fires occurred.

60 yards - the patrol stops the 3 adult men and 2 women but adult mother and child with others continue walking towards the house. The adults tell your patrol that they need food, water and a place to stay. They saw what was developing in the cities and got out. Your patrol radios you with this info.

They do not get closer than the 60 yard mark. We are armed, they are not. We use the advantage we have and enforce the reality that they need to keep moving on.

We have everything we need for 1 year for me and my family that is living with me only.

If I had unlimited resources then that would be another matter, but as it is I don't.

Is this being cruel and inhuman?

No, this is being realistic. It is a case of survival. If I give away any of our food, that reduces the chance of our survival.

The fact remains that even if you help them, they are still going to need more than you can provide, while reducing what you need to survive on.

.... and there are more like them behind coming.

In a case of survival, one cannot be charitable. I'm sorry.

·
Registered
239 Posts
I would have to agree with TampaSsgt,and GS i have talked about this with a very select few close friends and family and we all agree. One family member and i have an idea of what we would do .

I for one would not allow interlopers past the 60 yard mark but then agian i have never been aquised of being a very nice person

·
Registered
4,719 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I will add my input but want it to develop a bit first. We all have to decide what we believe we’re going to do with that group. If this thread works it will develop, it will force us to see well beyond today, tomorrow and next week. This isn’t an original idea of mine. I participated in a thread with the same original post that went on for nearly 300 posts so those that don’t like long drugged out threads may be wise to stay out from the get go.

Keep in mind, just because you can think about next week, next month or next year doesn’t mean you can ignore today. Tough decisions will need to be made.

Do you have current maps of your immediate neighborhood? Do you have current maps of the city and state? Do you have current maps beyond that? Do you keep a comfortable pair of shoes in your car that is a size bigger than what you wear? Do you have two or three pairs of cushiony socks to prevent blisters if you had no choice but to walk home from work after a disaster? Some hardcore survivalists keep something small with wheels (skateboards and the like) to assist in their journey home. I’ll admit that I’m not that well prepared, are you?

My first job after anything is making it home. I fear that in spite difficulties in accomplishing that, it will be the easiest part to accomplish.

Let’s hear more of your thoughts before I give mine. What do you do with that group and when?

Don’t fear getting flamed, odds are you will, but so what? We all have to learn to work together should something like this happen. We’re not all going to agree and we’ll need to explain to others what and why we believe certain things need to be done. If you’re right and I’m wrong and you fail to make me see the light we’re all doomed!

·
Super Moderator
5,067 Posts
Moot point, as I have ZERO intention of being anywhere anyone can walk to.... BUT for the sake of discussion, this is one of those rare times I agree with TS

·
Registered
484 Posts
(Wasn’t sure where to post this, Mods, please feel free to move if I posted in the wrong section.)

The question is: What do you do and when do you do it.

This is what you know

2. You live in a rural area more than 1 tank of gas away from a major city, but there are towns closer

3. Your house has a 100yd clear field of view around it; beyond that is bush and trees

4. You have a scoped rifle, and the skills to hit a rabbit out to 200yds.

5. You have a few close friends (15 adults - that includes the adults in your friends families - or less, not close by) who have prepped but not as well as you. They might need your help and some of your supplies.

6. You discussed with these friends before the current situation about helping each other out if SHTF or TEWAWKI. And you have discussed it since SHTF or TEWAWKI occurred but none of you have been tested

7. The SHTF or TEWAWKI cause is not biological or contagious.

8. SHTF or TEWAWKI appears to be nationwide

What you do not know

A. You do not know if this is SHTF or TEWAWKI so civil, law, authority might be reestablished in the future

B. You do not know who or what caused the SHTF or TEWAWKI

Here is what is what you see
1. It is sun rise of day 50 of SHTF or TEWAWKI
2 You look out your window and see the following at 100 yards with your binoculars
a. A man is looking at your house, small garden, chicken coop and, tilled fields through his binocular
b. A total of 15 people
3 men 30 - 35 yo
3 women 30 – 40
2 teenage girls
2 teenage boys
4 children - 2 boys, 2 girls
1 baby in one of the women’s arms

Here is what happens:

100 yards - they all put down their backpacks and what they are carrying down in a pile and begin to walk to your house in a line so you can see them all.

80 yards - they all stop, take off their jackets - show they are empty, raise their shirts, turn fully around - show nothing is concealed, do the same with their pants and the children

60 yards - your armed roving patrol runs up to the group and stops the group. (you and your friends put 4 patrols together - 2 day, 2 night - this is the one closest to you, they only walk, also have fixed locations with some good sight lines – not great, this is flat land)

40 yards - the young people continue walking

20 yards - the young people continue walking

0 yards - you are behind a secure door, the young people are at your door saying - we need food, water, shelter – especially for the children, they continue to talk though the door and tell you stories about the savagery and hunger in the cities.

They are from a church group day care center. The children are not theirs but those of mothers and fathers that have been killed by criminals and medical problems.

Like many in the cities they were able to get buy with the dwindling food in the stores and homes for awhile. Then they were able to use some of the food in the church. When they saw things were not getting better, they took the church's van as far as they could and then walked. They have learned to work together and have survived by traveling at night and being as quiet as possible.

The tell you that they can not walk any further and are not moving any further.

(I've obtained permission to use this post as it is not of my creation.)

The red text disturbs me more than the "more coming behind."
I feel a threat there that reinforces the default response which is to move them on. I don't think there is a "win" in a TEWAWKI scenario. But I'll do all I can to insure my family are among the survivors

·
Registered
4,719 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Wow. Up until "They tell you there are more like them behind coming", I knew exactly how I would answer the scenario. But this part threw a mop handle in my spokes. Soul searching time.
Beers y'all,
Ken
If something big happens that affects a large area and you are at home and prepared you should expect MANY to come behind. Some will be good people, some will be bad people. Some will ask, some will plead, others will try to take it by force.

It’s always easy to determine what to do with bad people, not so much when you perceive others to be good and you have the survival of your family to think of. So what do you do with that group and when?

This isn’t going to be easy. The only consolation is that we are thinking about this and making these decisions while we still have power, can get gas, the supermarket is open and fully stocked, our children and grandchildren are healthy, we have gotten a good night’s sleep and are in the comfort of our own home.

·
Registered
4,719 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Oh, I am probably going to get flamed for this but what the heck, it has never stopped me in the past. :grin

They do not get closer than the 60 yard mark. We are armed, they are not. We use the advantage we have and enforce the reality that they need to keep moving on.

We have everything we need for 1 year for me and my family that is living with me only.

If I had unlimited resources then that would be another matter, but as it is I don't.

Is this being cruel and inhuman?

No, this is being realistic. It is a case of survival. If I give away any of our food, that reduces the chance of our survival.

The fact remains that even if you help them, they are still going to need more than you can provide, while reducing what you need to survive on.

.... and there are more like them behind coming.

In a case of survival, one cannot be charitable. I'm sorry.
No one will have unlimited resources. There are more coming. How many are there in your group? How long can you hold your post without someone breaking through your defenses? How many armed adults in each shift? Do you know how big the other group that is coming is? How long will these conditions last? What happens if one of your children or spouse gets ill?

·
Registered
4,719 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I would have to agree with TampaSsgt,and GS i have talked about this with a very select few close friends and family and we all agree. One family member and i have an idea of what we would do .

I for one would not allow interlopers past the 60 yard mark but then agian i have never been aquised of being a very nice person
Day 50 of the condition is indeed telling. You know help is not around the corner and hope for it has diminished. It can easily last 6 months and it can easily last a year or more, you don’t know. You are pretty much on your own…………. or are you?

You have enough food for your and your family. Do you have enough medicine? Do you have any power source? Do you have enough ammo?

·
Registered
4,719 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Moot point, as I have ZERO intention of being anywhere anyone can walk to.... BUT for the sake of discussion, this is one of those rare times I agree with TS
Are you and your family self-sufficient in every sense of the word? This question goes beyond the act of gathering supplies and having enough to not die from starvation or thirst.

·
Registered
4,719 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The red text disturbs me more than the "more coming behind."
I feel a threat there that reinforces the default response which is to move them on. I don't think there is a "win" in a TEWAWKI scenario. But I'll do all I can to insure my family are among the survivors
What do you perceive those actions of yours would be? They won’t move, they may even further advance. They have nothing to loose, if they continue they’ll likely die anyway. You’re dealing with desperate people and desperate people can do foolish things, even the good ones.

You are right in one aspect, there is no win, there is merely survival. So what do you do?

·
Registered
20,636 Posts
hell of a scenario misty...i dont know where i'd come up with that kind of space to begin with but it sounds like a nice little spread...i dont know what constitutes having enough to sustain my family for a year because it sounds like i would have to have self repleneshing food sources to acomplish that and that should allow me to sustain indefinately....unless i'm sitting on a barn full of mre meals...

i wouldnt know where to start...if i'm that well prepared i guess i'll be telling them they need to turn away as i dont have the supplies, space or trust to allow them to stay with us...jeapardizing my family by overextending our supplies and exposing them to the desperation this kind of scenario presents isnt why i prepared so well....i have to take a hard line for our own survival....

the question is...how does one get past that desperation and convince them to leave without violence and am i prepared to use violence to keep them out...they are many and we are few....more will arrive and it is not out of the realm of possibility that we could be overun and taken over by people with the short term goal of feeding themselves with whatever they can pilfer....

could i help them set up their own self sustaining community?...thats what its going to take if the world is going to survive...if i can offer them the information they need to start fresh and develop a community we would become a strength together that could fend off the opportunists who will show up later looking to take advantage of whatever they can find...there is strength in numbers and small groups are vunerable to roving hoards of thieving and killing criminals....

i think the best solution is to have a small cache of supplies for a group we might be able to turn into allies and hope we can build a strong united community to fend off those who are not good...

i dont care what kind of supplies you have your are not going to be able to fend off people for long in desperate times....you need to build a community of like minded people for strength and to endure...otherwise whats left to live for anyway?

my best shot...

·
Registered
563 Posts
Man. There's no comfortable response to this.

In a "it's my family or them" senario such as you've described, there's going to have to be a warning shot at 60 yards and fire for effect at 50 and then deal with the nighmares later.

Really can't afford much sentiment at that point.

If they're smart enough to stop where they're told, then perhaps something could be worked out in the way of a knowlege transfer about how they could better survive on their own, but that's going to come down to gut instinct at the time.

·
Super Moderator
6,143 Posts
I must be the only one left on the planet who has not figured out what TEWAWKI means.

Would someone please put me out of my misery and educate me on what this term means. If it is anything like the other one you can send me a PM.

I'm glad I did not have to pass a written test to become a Moderator.

·
Registered
4,904 Posts
Interesting scenario, but not one I could fully relate to. I know there are forum members here living in rural areas and the type of land described in your post. I would guess, however, that the majority of our members and forum guests live in residential neighborhoods where the neighbors houses are within 25 feet of each other. This will present dynamics that would change the tactics and options available.

Nonetheless, the post really gets me thinking on how I could prepare and handle this type of situation within the environment I live in. I actually see the traditional community with the houses located closer together as having its advantages in this scenario. I look forward to reading the recommendations that will be posted and applying what I can to my own situation.

Thanks for the thought provoking and "refreshing" thread.

·
Registered
4,904 Posts
I must be the only one left on the planet who has not figured out what TEWAWKI means.

Would someone please put me out of my misery and educate me on what this term means. If it is anything like the other one you can send me a PM.

I'm glad I did not have to pass a written test to become a Moderator.
The End Of The World As We Know It

1 - 20 of 155 Posts