Florida Concealed Carry banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
12,574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
My wife has GRACIOUSLY tolerated me setting this up in our BEDROOM! Fortunately, the room is pretty big, and there was an empty corner.

It's a modest work bench.... I mean FREEDOM BENCH. But, I'm digging it! I've got it just about perfect for me. For now.

The key for me was LIGHTING. This corner of the room is not well-illuminated. I started with one of these LED task lights. But, I was getting shadows and having to fiddle with the angle and position of the light to see what I needed to see at the moment. Solution? Get another light! It arrived today.

Engineering Table Machine Desk Electrical wiring

Table Furniture Desk Engineering Electrical wiring

Another thing that arrived today was a nifty pistol mat (Real Avid "Smart Mat"). It's thin but some padding, with an oil-repellent top surface and rubberized on the bottom, so it doesn't slip around. Perfectly sized to accomodate any gun AND some tools. It's got an attached parts tray on the right, with the small compartment on the bottom right being magnetized. Nifty! $20 on Amazon!

Look at how evenly and brightly lit this is!

Trigger Gun barrel Air gun Gun accessory Bumper

It's WAY neater than the washcloth I was using before! LOL!

Sleeve Trigger Grey Gun barrel Air gun

It's really nice to have a place to attend to your hobbies. I don't have a man cave... yet. Maybe when the kids are out of the house, one of their bedrooms. For now, this will do!

·
Registered
6,714 Posts
Nice. You should add one of the OR operating room lights that hang from the ceiling. We may laugh, but I’ve honestly considered snagging one a time or two when we have changed them out at the hospitals I’ve worked at. 🤣

·
Registered
5,185 Posts
Wow “in the bedroom” that’s BIG for a wife to allow that……..usually its in an off room somewhere in a hot dungeon with cobwebbs and spiders, OR put it all away when you are done…….i just put mine in a closet in the spare room………door shut and it disappears…..i like the mat

Reactions: racer88

·
Registered
12,574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Nice. You should add one of the OR operating room lights that hang from the ceiling. We may laugh, but I’ve honestly considered snagging one a time or two when we have changed them out at the hospitals I’ve worked at. 🤣
That would be a pretty pricey proposition! This was a total of $172 for both lights. :geek:

·
Registered
12,574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Check out the difference between one vs two lights (look at the shadows):

Handgun holster Engineering Machine Rotary tool Tool

·
Registered
17,014 Posts
Meh. I still see shadows. 🤪
There’s now way in satans abode my wife would let me set up something like that in the bedroom. Hats off to yours for that!
This isn’t even mentioning if I’m using Hoppes. Oh lord the sweet smell of cleaning guns drives mine kray kray!
Great looking work bench. Congrats dude

·
Registered
12,574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
This isn’t even mentioning if I’m using Hoppes. Oh lord the sweet smell of cleaning guns drives mine kray kray!
Uh-oh. I haven't cleaned a gun there, yet! LOL! But, I don't use Hoppe's. The stuff I use doesn't have a strong odor... I don't think! I use Bore-Tech products.

Here's another view of one vs two lights. The photos don't quite do it justice. But, to the eye, there's a HUGE difference. Yes, there are still going to be some shadows. But, look at the difference from top to bottom. Look at how dark the shadows are on the top photo vs the bottom photo.

Gun accessory Font Auto part Handgun holster Air gun

·
Registered
7,596 Posts
Meh. I still see shadows.
There’s now way in satans abode my wife would let me set up something like that in the bedroom. Hats off to yours for that!
Great looking work bench. Congrats dude
This^^^^^

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
21,222 Posts
i dont know...one more light and you'll get full spousal buy in as a tanning booth...my wife doesnt like me setting my wallet on top of the closed roll top desk...

·
Registered
12,574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I bet you probably told her you were just a cook in the Navy but actually a Seal instead huh?
LOL! Sorta. I told her I was a dentist in the Navy, but I was actually a SEAL.

• Haha
Reactions: BeerHunter

·
Registered
12,574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
but the whole story of you stopping terrorists and saving the ship is true right?
Of course. And, I got the girl who jumped out of the cake!

BTW... a shipmate of mine, and REAL Navy SEAL, was in that movie. He transferred from my ship to the USS Missouri, where they filmed that movie. He was the first officer killed (by Tommy Lee Jones) in the move. Shot right in the forehead.

John Rottger was a real Navy SEAL. I used to sit with him often in the Officers' Wardroom.

Font Screenshot Number Multimedia Web page

Tommy Lee Jones shooting my friend:

Microphone Vision care Musician Sunglasses Hat

This is him in the movie (not playing a SEAL):
Food Tableware Watch Food craving Cuisine

John later got into the movie business after he left the Navy. Underwater stuff and stunts. I was able to contact him by email and reminisce about our days on the USS Independence.

·
Registered
6,714 Posts
That would be a pretty pricey proposition! This was a total of $172 for both lights. :geek:
Yeah well I had planned on getting them for free when they got demoed out. No way could I afford to buy any of them. o_O

1 - 20 of 41 Posts