Florida Concealed Carry banner
61 - 80 of 90 Posts

·
Registered
14,865 Posts
Exactly my point ! One of my First , primary and extremely close weapons is My *M1 Carbine .. [ 3 ] loaded [ 30 ] rnds , [ 2 ] 20 rounders . Good enough in a few wars , good enough for me in my house . Thank You For Your Input My Friend .

p.s. - Right next to that my shorter PPSH '43 S/A 7.62x25 [ 4 ] 35 and mags 'G'
M-1 carbines are one of the most underappreciated guns of our time. We armed our montagnards in Vietnam with the m2 version with a selector switch. A bad azz carbine.

·
Registered
2,327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #62 · (Edited)
M-1 carbines are one of the most underappreciated guns of our time. We armed our montagnards in Vietnam with the m2 version with a selector switch. A bad azz carbine.
* Now edited to change to A2 !
You got that one Right on the head MY friend . Personally I never had the pleasure in training to shoot the M2 . I did however shoot the M-14 A2 . Aka The Full auto ..

* A side note : Right after shooting the Easy Deuce , the Battalion Commander was right behind me , unbeknownst to me ..
Man did I do a job on that target ! I Overheard him say : 'Now That's More like it' -Then I was assigned to my M60 'G' :unsure: LOL

·
Registered
14,865 Posts
You got that one Right on the head MY friend . Personally I never had the pleasure in training to shoot the M2 . I did however shoot the M-14 E2 . Aka The 'Easy Deuce' as you know .

* A side note : Right after shooting the Easy Deuce , the Battalion Commander was right behind me , unbeknownst to me .. Man did I do a job on that target ! I Overheard him say : 'Now That's More like it' -Then I was assigned to my M60 'G' :unsure: LOL
I carried a variety of tools in the Nam. M14-a2, A true milled receiver AK, CAR 15, Mossberg 500, Swedish K, Grease Gun and Browning Hipower suppressed and a Colt .45.
Everything was dealt with as mission specific.

·
Registered
304 Posts
A Shockwave is not suitable for HD...;)
People in nature Sleeve Gesture T-shirt Elbow

·
Registered
2,327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #65 · (Edited)
I carried a variety of tools in the Nam. M14-a2, A true milled receiver AK, CAR 15, Mossberg 500, Swedish K, Grease Gun and Browning Hipower suppressed and a Colt .45.
Everything was dealt with as mission specific.
HOLY SMOKES !! Strange I always read that the full auto M14 was called the Easy Deuce .. Hmmm Never heard about the A2 , which makes more sense .

Maybe some guys gave it that nick name ..Live & learn I always say ! I'm beginning to think that my Browning 50 cal on my track was Not Called 'Ma Deuce ? :unsure:

The rest of your ordinance sounds Outstanding to say the least ! I wish I had the opportunity to at least shoot them . That is quite a mix of ammo , hopefully not carried together .. Anyway , U B DA MAN ! Awesome Posting , Thanks 'G'

·
Registered
14,865 Posts
HOLY SMOKES !! Strange I always read that the full auto M14 was called the Easy Deuce .. Hmmm Never heard about the A2 , which makes more sense .

Maybe some guys gave it that nick name ..Live & learn I always say ! I'm beginning to think that my Browning 50 cal on my track was Not Called 'Ma Deuce ? :unsure:

The rest of your ordinance sounds Outstanding to say the least ! I wish I had the opportunity to at least shoot them . That is quite a mix of ammo , hopefully not carried together .. Anyway , U B DA MAN ! Awesome Posting , Thanks 'G'
we had the M2 at our compound and called it the Ma Deuce. We had our own armory that we armed the Yards that we worked with.. it had every Chicom and SovBloc armament made. We had ammo for everything in the ammo depot. A lot of WWII US made stuff that we armed them with. M1 garands, .30 cals M1 and M2 Carbines, BARs.

·
Registered
2,327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #68 ·
we had the M2 at our compound and called it the Ma Deuce. We had our own armory that we armed the Yards that we worked with.. it had every Chicom and SovBloc armament made. We had ammo for everything in the ammo depot. A lot of WWII US made stuff that we armed them with. M1 garands, .30 cals M1 and M2 Carbines, BARs.
That's Fantastic ! Not knowing too many Marines , only a few in my Therapy group , this information I had never heard of . Only a guy I ended up working with in the Utility Co .

However he was SP Forces and Located about 30 K's above us in Tay Ninh . Their base camp called Tri B. [ Spelling ] - This by the Cambodian border . 'G'

·
Registered
14,865 Posts
That's Fantastic ! Not knowing too many Marines , only a few in my Therapy group , this information I had never heard of . Only a guy I ended up working with in the Utility Co .

However he was SP Forces and Located about 30 K's above us in Tay Ninh . Their base camp called Tri B. [ Spelling ] - This by the Cambodian border . 'G'
Any of the MACV-SOG, Green Beannies or Marine CAP units would be set up the same way. A compound or camp that worked with the YARDS (tribe depends on the area), RFPF or ARVN rangers. Normally company size. And the US unit would be 6-12. They were pretty much self reliant except for tac air and arty. The Yards were the strike force and we were advisors that trained and equipped them.

Reactions: 196THL.I.B.GUNNER

·
Registered
2,327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #70 · (Edited)
Any of the MACV-SOG, Green Beannies or Marine CAP units would be set up the same way. A compound or camp that worked with the YARDS (tribe depends on the area), RFPF or ARVN rangers. Normally company size. And the US unit would be 6-12. They were pretty much self reliant except for tac air and arty. The Yards were the strike force and we were advisors that trained and equipped them.
Yes That sounds correct ! Jim told me that he was a group of only [ 6 ] . They had in their camp , about a company size group of YARDS I believe . One thing we had heard in Tay Ninh , that His SF camp was about overrun . This with a pretty good size attack on their perimeter .

During this attack , it was looking bad for him and his buddies . Many Y's in the camp had turned their guns on Them . Knowing this might happen , he told me they had several fall back bunker lines as was their SOP .

I asked how did you ever get out of that mess ? He did mention some air support called in , But Immediately his small group fell back & when the time was right , They Blew The whole place where they had been positioned in .

Interesting how we became friends at the same Utility , even in different departments. We only had [ 3 ] RVN Combat Vet's out of 160 Employees .. Later on I paid him to plumb my 4" drain piping for my new 1/2 bath I was building .

Then he showed me his shortened double barrel gun . It was Real Rough in the Furniture & i had to fix and replace a lot of it .He picked it back up and said : That Is Not My Gun , I just smiled .

A few weeks later he came back & dropped off Solid Cherry Planks & said : Build yourself Something .. I did exactly that & it still stands as a memory of our close friendship.. 'G' (y) (y) ;) 🇺🇸🇺🇸🇺🇸

·
Registered
14,865 Posts
Yes That sounds correct ! Jim told me that he was a group of only [ 6 ] . They had in their camp , about a company size group of YARDS I believe . One thing we had heard in Tay Ninh , that His SF camp was about overrun . This with a pretty good size attack on their perimeter .

During this attack , it was looking bad for him and his buddies . Many Y's in the camp had turned their guns on Them . Knowing this might happen , he told me they had several fall back bunker lines as was their SOP .

I asked how did you ever get out of that mess ? He did mention some air support called in , But Immediately his small group fell back & when the time was right , They Blew The whole place where they had been positioned in .

Interesting how we became friends at the same Utility , even in different departments. We only had [ 3 ] RVN Combat Vet's out of 160 Employees ..'G'
P.S. - Later on he plumbed my 4" drain piping for my new 1/2 bath .

He showed me his shortened double barrel gun . It was Real Rough in the Furniture & i had to fix and replace a lot of it .He picked it back up and said : That Is Not My Gun , I smiled . A few weeks later he came back & dropped off Solid Cherry Planks & said : Build yourself Something .. I did exactly that. 'G'
Our Yards were loyal to a fault. We would never have had them turn on us. They would have died if camp got overrun. They had their whole village with their families in the camp. Now the South Vietnamese ARVN? Another story. We had to have body guard of our yards when they were around. Some were VC and some even NYA regulars.
But our yards were bad azz. I worked with both Rhade and Bru. Best woodsmen I ever saw. And fight to the death. They hated the NVA, VC and ARVN all alike.

·
Registered
2,327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #72 ·
Our Yards were loyal to a fault. We would never have had them turn on us. They would have died if camp got overrun. They had their whole village with their families in the camp. Now the South Vietnamese ARVN? Another story. We had to have body guard of our yards when they were around. Some were VC and some even NYA regulars.
But our yards were bad azz. I worked with both Rhade and Bru. Best woodsmen I ever saw. And fight to the death. They hated the NVA, VC and ARVN all alike.
That's Awesome ! Like I had mentioned , I Thought they were YARDS But Now that you just mentioned what you did, Very Possible they actually were S.V. ARVN troops . I'm talking in and around the late 70's when these conversations all took place .

Our Company had a ARVN S.V Scout for us . On the weekends he use to go into Saigon . We seemed to get hit , ever since he joined us . They set him up with false Info' & The next trip out , He seemed to have Vanished :unsure:o_O(y)'G'

Reactions: Rick McC.

·
Registered
14,865 Posts
That's Awesome ! Like I had mentioned , I Thought they were YARDS But Now that you just mentioned what you did, Very Possible they actually were S.V. ARVN troops . I'm talking in and around the late 70's when these conversations all took place .

Our Company had a ARVN S.V Scout for us . On the weekends he use to go into Saigon . We seemed to get hit , ever since he joined us . They set him up with false Info' & The next trip out , He seemed to have Vanished :unsure:o_O(y)'G'
Yup all the Vietnamese called the yards MOI which meant savages. I felt for them.

·
Registered
2,327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #74 ·
Yup all the Vietnamese called the yards MOI which meant savages. I felt for them.
I can understand that even more now , for sure The Yards had Way more guts than the South Vietnamese ever thought of having . Can you imagine if the situation was reversed ?

That long war might have ended up quite a bit differently . Thanks for the MOI Definition . I'll Add another To My limited Vocabulary from over there . 'G'

·
Registered
304 Posts

·
Registered
10,092 Posts
I was being facetious, 2018 incident involving a Shockwave:
When I first got mine; I shot it at the end of a weekly IDPA practice.
I shot a five pack of #4 buck, and a box of old high-brass “express” #6 shot; left over from the ‘60’s.
It shot and patterned well, and would take the head off an IDPA cardboard target with one shot (#4 buck).

I shot it threat focused; which worked very well. I wouldn’t recommend that anyone hold it it front of their face, trying to sight it with the bead.

·
Registered
2,327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #78 ·
When I first got mine; I shot it at the end of a weekly IDPA practice.
I shot a five pack of #4 buck, and a box of old high-brass “express” #6 shot; left over from the ‘60’s.
It shot and patterned well, and would take the head off an IDPA cardboard target with one shot (#4 buck).

I shot it threat focused; which worked very well. I wouldn’t recommend that anyone hold it it front of their face, trying to sight it with the bead.
That is both Impressive and Excellent advice regarding that particular shotgun Anywhere near your face . I believe the inherent design is that of a non aiming device IMO .

Someone told me : 'Sights are for the unenlightened' . IN This Case For Sure !!! I could be wrong , but the recoil alone on your wrist is quite substantial I would think , never mind One's Face behind it .. :eek:🤕

I have witnessed this myself with my Bro's S&W K38 Masterpiece. Very nasty , the Cylinder Blown in Half due to Bad Reloads and Not paying Attention to the Guns Report IMO ... :oops::rolleyes:o_O(n)(n)'G'

• Wow

·
Registered
2,327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #79 ·
That is both Impressive and Excellent advice regarding that particular shotgun Anywhere near your face . I believe the inherent design is that of a non aiming device IMO .

Someone told me : 'Sights are for the unenlightened' . IN This Case For Sure !!! I could be wrong , but the recoil alone on your wrist is quite substantial I would think , never mind One's Face behind it .. :eek:🤕

I have witnessed this myself with my Bro's S&W K38 Masterpiece. Very nasty , the Cylinder Blown in Half due to Bad Reloads and Not paying Attention to the Guns Report IMO ... :oops::rolleyes:o_O(n)(n)'G'
Yes , At My job in the utility . I got them from our welder , who was a Reserve Policeman part time . I have to assume My Brother Frank was Not use to any Squibs Or Misfires .

The first bullet lodged in the barrel .The Second one , Not Sooo Lucky ! Kaboom :eek: :rolleyes:(n)(n)💥🔥 'G'

I Felt So Bad & didn't know to check them prior , I was Young & Trusting :confused::rolleyes:

• Wow

·
Registered
15 Posts
These discussions about the best HD firearm go round and round. I think most of us would agree that any weapon is better than not having one. There are pros and cons to each of them. As someone else noted, I have a handgun within reach that I would use if necessary to get to my shotgun, which is a few feet away. I have a Beretta 1301 Tactical loaded with Federal Flight Control 00 buckshot. At ranges out to 10-15 yards, the pattern looks like a slug, so maybe the size of a half dollar. I have the 9 pellet version, but I've heard that the 8 pellet pattern is even tighter. Unfortunately, both are tough to find these days in a world of relatively scarce ammo.

61 - 80 of 90 Posts