Florida Concealed Carry banner
1 - 20 of 90 Posts

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I need some feedback from the many shooters on here . Some may say that a Shotgun is a Definite to include for home protection .

Now , My question is what members think they should be #1 in Priority , and what Gauge , Tube Lengths for maximum Impact ?

What Shot Size do you think would be the Most effective , considering sheet rock walls etc.

Would this be used First , Before any handgun[ s] for bad guy upon entry ? Also any Specific Favored Manuf''s Trusted, Desired PLUS Reliability ?

What Action would be advised : Pump , S/Auto or Double [ side x side ] not O/U type ? . 'G' (y) (y)

·
Registered
9,202 Posts
I own a Remington 1100 12ga with a 9 round mag extenion it's semi-auto the gas ports have been opened up just a bit for competeing with lower power shells. I keep 9 rounds of #1 buck in it with a full choke only a fool would stand in front of that gun with a pistol .

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I own a Remington 1100 12ga with a 9 round mag extenion it's semi-auto the gas ports have been opened up just a bit for competeing with lower power shells. I keep 9 rounds of #1 buck in it with a full choke only a fool would stand in front of that gun with a pistol .
Wow :eek: !!! I would have to say You Are Absolutely Correct My Friend ! I know I certainly wouldn't like that pointing in my face [ Or Anywhere else ]o_O:rolleyes:

A quick question : Would you be thinking about losing your hearing in a closed area ? ..Or Just Shoot & worry later about your hearing being Impaired ? ... I guess better being alive & being temporarily Deaf :unsure: 'G'

·
Registered
148 Posts
Wow :eek: !!! I would have to say You Are Absolutely Correct My Friend ! I know I certainly wouldn't like that pointing in my face [ Or Anywhere else ]o_O:rolleyes:

A quick question : Would you be thinking about losing your hearing in a closed area ? ..Or Just Shoot & worry later about your hearing being Impaired ? ... I guess better being alive & being temporarily Deaf :unsure: 'G'
Had a good friend on the Chicago PD. He and his partner were cleraring a room, actually a basement, when his partner fired off a round from a 12 ga shotgun right next to him. From that day on, if you wanted to talk to him you had to manuver to his left side. Completely deaf on right side for life. Think of him when considering a shotgun in confined spaces

·
Registered
10,082 Posts
I have an old 12 gauge Winchester Model 1300 Turkey Gun that I shoot buckshot through.
It patterns both #1 and #4 buck very well.
If I needed to shoot a shotgun inside; it’d probably be that one, loaded with a #4 buck, then a #1 buck, then a #4 buck…

I have Dad’s old 12 gauge Browning Auto-5, but it’s 30 inch barrel makes it a mite long for slicing the pie in the house.
It’s pure hell in the dove fields, though! (For the dove.)

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I already have hearing loss after a run in with a 6" Eastern Diamondback rattler and my S&W 44mag . Having hearing protection would be the smart move . Living to say what did you say is still winning.
Agreed , all other things notwithstanding ! I can actually say the same , when my ear plug came out , after shooting my 7mm mag rifle . 'G' (y) (y)

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
I have an old 12 gauge Winchester Model 1300 Turkey Gun that I shoot buckshot through.
It patterns both #1 and #4 buck very well.
If I needed to shoot a shotgun inside; it’d probably be that one, loaded with a #4 buck, then a #1 buck, then a #4 buck…

I have Dad’s old 12 gauge Browning Auto-5, but it’s 30 inch barrel makes it a mite long for slicing the pie in the house.
It’s pure hell in the dove fields, though! (For the dove.)
Love it ! I also have a browning Auto - 5 , with the Silver Muzzle end on it . I know that some people do not like that addition , but I think it's Pretty kool :cool:

I have [ 4 ] buck for my New Pump [ 20 ] ga Mossy . I know Crazy , but I also loaded up a box of 12 Ga 'Nickel' Plated #7 Shot in 2 3/4 ". This was For the Very Discriminating Bird hunter , where No lead shot is allowed .. HIGH $$$ Too ;)

Reactions: Rick McC.

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Had a good friend on the Chicago PD. He and his partner were cleraring a room, actually a basement, when his partner fired off a round from a 12 ga shotgun right next to him. From that day on, if you wanted to talk to him you had to manuver to his left side. Completely deaf on right side for life. Think of him when considering a shotgun in confined spaces
Exactly what I was alluding to . A while back we were discussing using shotguns within the house walls [ at night ] . No one prior to my post , had mentioned Night Blindness and being Hearing Impaired . Good Post proving another Instance 'G'

·
Registered
8,425 Posts
Mossberg 500 (pump) with 20” barrel and 8 shots total of #4 Buck. I would use my pistol to get to my shotgun! If possible, have ear pro next to the gun in case you have to use it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Helpful
Reactions: 196THL.I.B.GUNNER

·
Registered
56,816 Posts
I prefer a pistol for home defense. Having been through two swat entry courses with mp5's and Benelli 12 gauge semi auto shotties, I prefer the pistol. In fact, the last two days of 5 with HK in Va., they let me use my Sig 226 as at the time, I wouldn't have either of those firearms in the cruiser.

Second week long swat course in Vt., I used the Sig 228 [ issued after I wore out the 226 ] all week.

I have an older [ 80's ] Ithaca 9 shot M+P parkerized for serious social engagements but it's relegated to the safe

·
Registered
4,592 Posts
I too prefer a handgun for self defense.
I like the idea of a shotgun, but not its practicality, for my living situation.

That said, the aforementioned IWI TS-12 will definitely get the job done.
I would not want to be on the receiving end of that baby!

·
Super Moderator
31,887 Posts
I have two Mossberg shotties, a Mossberg 500 12 guage pump and a Mossberg 590 Persuader 8+1. I believe I prefer my full size SA MARSOC 1911 for HD but the shottie is an option. It's loaded with either #4 Buckshot or 00 buckshot, but the sound indoors is definitely something to contend with! I have custom earplugs I often sleep with that does not prevent me from hearing things but certainly takes the edge off of really loud noises!

·
Registered
13,671 Posts
I think it depends totally on your home situation. While I have a nightstand pistol, my shotgun is kept close to the Lanai slider so I can (initially) fire two rounds in the air over our lake to scare off potential assault teams approaching by Zodiac per our President‘s advice. :sick::ROFLMAO:

I have my AR loaded and ready in my unlocked safe if I expect multiple invaders.

·
Registered
7,472 Posts
I prefer my ar over my shotgun (Mossberg 500, 12 gauge) and have one standing at the night stand. I also keep a set of electronic ears on the nightstand too. I would hunker in place with the ar pointed at the bedroom door frame creating a fatal funnel. I prefer pistols and if I was to search my house I’d use that over a long gun.

·
Registered
301 Posts
I prefer a pistol for home defense.
Agree.
The pistol I carry all day is handy when I'm in bed. (Glock 17/34)
I shoot pistols frequently, shotguns not so much.

That said, we have Mossberg Shockwaves in .410 and 20GA
A .410 Shockwave loaded with Winchester PDX would be suitable HD for small stature.
When my boys were younger and we lived in rural KY, one winter when it snowed we made snowmen, but they were snow zombies. My boys loved blasting snow zombies with .410 pistol grip (didn't have the shockwave yet).
A 20 GA loaded with Buckshot doesn't recoil like a 12GA and is a good fit in a Shockwave, especially for someone who doesn't necessarily enjoy the recoil of 12GA, and IMO is a reasonable choice for a HD shotgun.

• Helpful
Reactions: 196THL.I.B.GUNNER

·
Registered
15,778 Posts
Flashback with a tripwire at each door and a centrally located claymore..maybe some foogas in the yard

·
Registered
15,778 Posts
Shockwave in the truck, Rem 870 with 18 inch barrel and extended mag tube in the house, and a double barrel coach gun in case I feel real fussy. And a 1911 .45 by my bed

1 - 20 of 90 Posts