Florida Concealed Carry banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
974 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Home invasions are on the rise and it's always nice to have something with that distinctive sound that bad guys hate.

Needless to say, I'm thinking about getting a shotgun for home defense this weekend. I'm looking for the cheapest dependable pump action I can find. I'm thinking something with an 18" to 22" barrel.

To that end, do any of you folks know the quality of either Charles Daly or New England Firearms? They seem to be the cheapest around and from I've read it seems NEF likes to copy proven designs.

Am I correct in my thinking that all 3" chambers can accept 2.75" shells as well as 3" shells?

Any advice or comments would be appreciated.

Thanks

·
Registered
31 Posts
Remington 870 Pump if you haven't done a lot of shooting look at the 20 gauge youth model may be the best deal out there. The Mossberg 500 is a good way to go that's what I currently have I got the one with the collapable stock if I was going to replace it I'd get the Remington. For a house gun you don't need a 12 gauge in my opinion.

·
Registered
11,170 Posts
I think you're going to find that most people will recommend either a variant of the Remington 870 or Mossberg 500. They have the greatest amount of aftermarket options available (if you decide to go that route) and are the brands most most widely used by law enforcement. Plus, they are not particularly expensive, especially used ones. Unless you are especially recoil-sensitive, I would opt for a 12 gauge over 20...you will have a greater variety of ammunition to choose from. And any shotgun chambered for 3" shells will accept 2.75" shells as well.

I'm partial to the 870 myself; here's my HD shotgun...

·
Registered
974 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Okay, so I go to the Ft Lauderdale gun show today. I've been to the one in Miami before so I pretty much know what they're like. I figure I'll go and get the cheapest reliable shotgun I can find.

I made one mistake.

I took my girlfriend.

Look, I've offered to take her to gun shows in the past. I know she's not scared of guns, she had her license to carry when she was doing PI work. I didn't think it could possibly be THAT bad for me to take her to one.

Crap. She saw the Thompson .45. Lets see if I can get her to move along. That's a couple more hundred than I really want to pay and I wanted a shotgun. Honey, stop fondling the Thompson. Lets go down here and see the shotguns. Honey? Honey!?

I shouldn't have done that. I should have said, whatever makes you happy and just bought the dang thing. But, noooo, I convince her to move along.

Then it happened. She saw _The Benelli M4_. 18.5" barrel, Italian made (but it will match my shoes, dear!), semi-automatic, pistol grip, fits her like it was made for her and a 4+1 capacity. The guy was willing to go down to $1500 on it. Crap. I was looking to spend maybe $400 at most. This thing will be 4 times that with tax.

Well, honey, I don't have that type of cash on me. Aww, dear, but this is exactly the type of shotgun I want.

I guess we're going back tomorrow with my debit card.

Maybe she'll be okay after a good night sleep.

Wish me luck, guys.

Note to self: Never, ever, ever get my GF and MamaBear to meet at a gun show. I doubt neither my wallet nor her hubby's wallet could stand the burden.

2nd Note to self. Don't let her near the knife tables tomorrow. Enough is enough!

·
Administrator
3,949 Posts
Okay, so I go to the Ft Lauderdale gun show today. I've been to the one in Miami before so I pretty much know what they're like. I figure I'll go and get the cheapest reliable shotgun I can find.

I made one mistake.

I took my girlfriend.

Look, I've offered to take her to gun shows in the past. I know she's not scared of guns, she had her license to carry when she was doing PI work. I didn't think it could possibly be THAT bad for me to take her to one.

Crap. She saw the Thompson .45. Lets see if I can get her to move along. That's a couple more hundred than I really want to pay and I wanted a shotgun. Honey, stop fondling the Thompson. Lets go down here and see the shotguns. Honey? Honey!?

I shouldn't have done that. I should have said, whatever makes you happy and just bought the dang thing. But, noooo, I convince her to move along.

Then it happened. She saw _The Benelli M4_. 18.5" barrel, Italian made (but it will match my shoes, dear!), semi-automatic, pistol grip, fits her like it was made for her and a 4+1 capacity. The guy was willing to go down to $1500 on it. Crap. I was looking to spend maybe $400 at most. This thing will be 4 times that with tax.

Well, honey, I don't have that type of cash on me. Aww, dear, but this is exactly the type of shotgun I want.

I guess we're going back tomorrow with my debit card.

Maybe she'll be okay after a good night sleep.

Wish me luck, guys.

Note to self: Never, ever, ever get my GF and MamaBear to meet at a gun show. I doubt neither my wallet nor her hubby's wallet could stand the burden.

2nd Note to self. Don't let her near the knife tables tomorrow. Enough is enough!
Maybe it will rain very hard tomorrow..... Not :rolf Sorry for your plight. At least you'll have one heck of a new gun.

·
Registered
480 Posts
And don't let my wife meet either one of them. :laughing

Last show she cost me $700 for a S&W 340PD HiViz, then another $200 for Crimson Trace grips.

·
Registered
10,558 Posts
I have a Remington 1100 3" Magnum with an eight shot extension magazine. I love it.

No matter what shotgun you have ( pump or semi-auto) you cannot go wrong for Home Defense with a 12 Ga. shotgun loaded with 00 Buck.

·
Registered
974 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Weston Arms Experience - Thumbs Down

:thumbsdwn

It started with the previously mentioned Benelli shotgun. This was to be my GFs shotgun so she wanted it under her name. Unfortunately she doesn't have her CCW so we had to wait the 5 business days to pick it up. Tonight was supposed to be the big night.

At the Gun Show, we talked with Robert, the owner's son. The owner is Alfie. We made a pretty good deal, I thought. We got it for a reasonable price and he was going to throw in a hard case. On our receipt they had written with case. Oh, and of course you can bring your dog.

We went to the shop tonight to pick it up. Robert had already left for the night but his father was there. He pulls out the weapon and we start to do the paperwork. We ask him for the case.

"This is your case" he says pointing to the cardboard box it comes in.

"No, we were told we would have a hard case"

"Well I don't know anything about the case"

"Can you call your son?"

"No, he's gone for the night"

"We don't want it without the case we agreed upon"

"Fine! I'll sell it for $300 more than what you were paying. I'm keeping 15% for a restocking fee"

"No, you're not. It never left your store. It never left your stock. You are not giving us what was sold to us. You are not keeping the 15%."

It goes back and forth for about 45 minutes. We finally got a full refund.

"We would like the paperwork we were filling out"

"No, I'm not giving it to you. It's federal paperwork."

"We're not going to leave here with you holding paperwork saying you sold us the weapon. We want to at least cross off the signature"

"See, she didn't sign it yet" holding the paperwork about 5 feet from us.

I was able to insure that she had not signed the final line so we left. I'm still not comfortable with him having any of that paperwork but what can we do?

I guess what I can do is to let everybody know what happened. We made a deal for a Benelli shotgun with a hard case for a set price. With case was written on the paperwork by them. We paid for it at the show. When we went to pick it up we are denied the case.

I guess I should have known they were a problem when I heard they guarantee CCW in 10 days and it took one of our members, who paid them their money and followed their steps, 4.5 months.

I can _not_ recommend Weston Arms at 7080 W State Rd 84 Davie.

Anybody know where I can get a Benelli M4 at a good price?

·
Registered
10,558 Posts
I was able to insure that she had not signed the final line so we left. I'm still not comfortable with him having any of that paperwork but what can we do?
Contact BATFE and file a complaint against him. They will investigate and determine whether or not he should have the paperwork.

Either you get your paperwork back, or you get some satisfaction of having his "pucker factor" going up to a 10 by being investigated by the BATFE!!

·
Registered
974 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Contact BATFE and file a complaint against him. They will investigate and determine whether or not he should have the paperwork.

Either you get your paperwork back, or you get some satisfaction of having his "pucker factor" going up to a 10 by being investigated by the BATFE!!
On the plan for Monday, TampaSsgt. We want it documented that we do not have the firearm in as many ways as we can.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts