Florida Concealed Carry banner

1 - 20 of 76 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi i want to get a shot gun! but i want to ask will salt rounds take some one down? i dont want to kill the persone that walks into my home i want to take him down!

now i have a 40cal xd

any thoughts ??:2thumsup

·
Registered
16,870 Posts
i dont want to kill the persone that walks into my home i want to take him down!
Maybe you shouldn't have the XD then.... Caliber .40 kinda hurts also... and eventually kills...:dunno

·
Registered
292 Posts
Generally speaking, less-lethal rounds are not a good idea for personal defense. Yes, rock salt hurts but probably won't stop a determined attacker. My personal opinion is that if you are not willing to take the life of someone determined to harm or kill you, then you are better off without a firearms as a defensive tool. If you are hesitant now about pulling the trigger, you will probably hesitate when faced with an attacker and that hesitation can get you and your loved ones killed. If you are hell bent on the idea of less-lethal then get a large can on quality OC gas.

I'm sorry if that sounded harsh but if you are going to keep a firearm for personal defense then you need to acquire some training and the proper mental state to use it without hesitation.

·
Registered
8,752 Posts
I can attest salt rock does not kill. But it hurts like a mother : censored er.

Just use buckshot and if someones coming into your home they aren't to do you any favors of being nice.

·
Registered
20,394 Posts
if you are willing to point a firearm at someone you need to face the fact that it is considered deadly force for a reason....i'll leave it at that...

·
Registered
4,896 Posts
Unless the intruder is a bit bland, I won't be using salt. Boom, Boom, Pow!

·
Registered
20,394 Posts
BUDUMPBUMP....thanks folks and dont forget...xd will be here all week...dont forget to tip your servers...and try the veal...its to die for...

·
Registered
16,870 Posts
Then it would be better to combined with thw appropiated amount of grounded pepper...

Sent from my SCH-R720 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
8,752 Posts
Then it would be better to combined with thw appropiated amount of grounded pepper...

Sent from my SCH-R720 using Tapatalk
You always need a touch garlic powder....

·
Registered
744 Posts
If you have high blood pressure I recommend Mrs Dash

To the OP if your facing a serious threat you need to eliminate the threat. If you have to use lethal force to defend yourself and or loved ones by all means use it!

·
Registered
1,693 Posts
To the OP if your facing a serious threat you need to eliminate the threat. If you have to use lethal force to defend yourself and or loved ones by all means use it!
Or you could just get rid of the shotgun and keep a cell phone by the bed - after all, when seconds count, the police are only minutes away!!!!

·
Registered
16,870 Posts
Or you could just get rid of the shotgun and keep a cell phone by the bed - after all, when seconds count, the police are only minutes away!!!!
Seriously... This is not necessarily true... Rent a room to a cop who would park the cruiser outside... great deterrent... then you won't need the shotgun nor the XD..... unless you get a cop with a second job at night and/or a most wanted cop with enemies...

Probably you'll be OK with the phone AND prayer then. You'll be part of a great percentage of teh population that do not consider firearms a SD choice. The percentage of home invasions is low compared to the total population and fatal attacks are low also...nothing to worry... right? And if you are part of that low percentage I'm sure being a sweet person as you seem to be you will be spared of any hurt. Bad things only happen to bad people and by your train of thought I would say that not even to bad people if they bump into someone like you.

Now....... research is probably under way to build a paralizing ray gun that will stop agressors on their tracks at 25 feet without any damage to their body or brains so they would be taken into custody and incorporate to our wonderful correction system...:dunno I'm ansiously waiting for results in that field. Meanwhile... I train for the best next thing and as I suffer high BP, my diet is low in sodium.

·
Registered
5,903 Posts
Ok, I think you all had your stab at the OP.

Back to the question. Forget rock salt. Make up your mind about which life you rather spare: yours, your family and loved ones, or the BG.

BamaBowtie said it clearly and to the point.

If you don't have the mindset and training, please do NOT own firearms.

Generally speaking, less-lethal rounds are not a good idea for personal defense. Yes, rock salt hurts but probably won't stop a determined attacker. My personal opinion is that if you are not willing to take the life of someone determined to harm or kill you, then you are better off without a firearms as a defensive tool. If you are hesitant now about pulling the trigger, you will probably hesitate when faced with an attacker and that hesitation can get you and your loved ones killed. If you are hell bent on the idea of less-lethal then get a large can on quality OC gas.

I'm sorry if that sounded harsh but if you are going to keep a firearm for personal defense then you need to acquire some training and the proper mental state to use it without hesitation.

Sent from iPhone. Hence all the typos!

·
Registered
16,870 Posts
Interesting idea on the cop roomate. I still like the saying

"I carry a gun because a cop is to heavy" :2thumsup
That's where it came from....:grin

·
Registered
4,666 Posts
So ... a serious question was asked by a new member. It's hilarious to many, but it was very serious to him.

Ross... as some have already stated, there is more to owning a firearm than simply passing the background check... we have a very serious responsibility to consider that we are carrying a tool (and it is a tool) which has the capability to kill. We train with safety rules that assume any negligence on our part WILL kill.

So to your specific question on salt vs. lethal rounds...

Always think of a firearm as your last resort, but know that a situation can progress from zero->last resort right away with no time for intermediate steps.

If you have intermediate steps/tools available to you (OC spray, ASP, TASER, whatever) learn them and train with them so you are competent, but always be aware when it is appropriate to "go to the gun"

I would personally consider salt shells in my Mossberg as a wasted tool ... If I need the shottie I need the shottie and it's gonna have 00 buck chambered (which it does)... and I also keep handguns loaded and chambered (i.e., ready to go)... but that's my choice.

You need to think about this and do what works for you ... and most importantly of all ... get training

·
Registered
2,414 Posts
Never mind the salt ! If someone comes in your house , you want to "stop "them not season them ! Most non lethal rounds can be lethal at times , if your luck is bad or you hit them in the head , you may kill the guy anyway ! Decide ahead of time what you are willing to do to defend yourself and prepare accordingly ! Which life do you value more ? Yours and your family's , or the guy who breaks in your house with an unknown intent ? Kevin

·
Registered
4,487 Posts
if you are willing to point a firearm at someone you need to face the fact that it is considered deadly force for a reason....i'll leave it at that...
This ^^^

·
Registered
6,889 Posts
So ... a serious question was asked by a new member. It's hilarious to many, but it was very serious to him.

Ross... as some have already stated, there is more to owning a firearm than simply passing the background check... we have a very serious responsibility to consider that we are carrying a tool (and it is a tool) which has the capability to kill. We train with safety rules that assume any negligence on our part WILL kill.

So to your specific question on salt vs. lethal rounds...

Always think of a firearm as your last resort, but know that a situation can progress from zero->last resort right away with no time for intermediate steps.

If you have intermediate steps/tools available to you (OC spray, ASP, TASER, whatever) learn them and train with them so you are competent, but always be aware when it is appropriate to "go to the gun"

I would personally consider salt shells in my Mossberg as a wasted tool ... If I need the shottie I need the shottie and it's gonna have 00 buck chambered (which it does)... and I also keep handguns loaded and chambered (i.e., ready to go)... but that's my choice.

You need to think about this and do what works for you ... and most importantly of all ... get training
I can't say it any better than SIGnature did.

To the OP, rock salt rounds for a shotgun were only used many moons ago to keep the "boys" down the road from sneaking up on your property to catch a glimpse of your daughter through the window, or to ward off the chicken thieves. The only reason that it was ever used years ago was to get their attention, put a good sting in their butts as they ran away, and the salt dissolved into their body naturally with no ill effects. It has NEVER been intended to be a self defense option. Heck, can you even buy "rock salt" rounds, or do you have to reload them?

Beers y'all,
Ken

·
Registered
480 Posts
Ross, if you're not in the market of killing and just hurting someone, perhaps beanbag rounds or a nice TASER. However you need to consider that if someones willing to break into your home while you're home they either have the intention of killing you, seriously hurting you, and they probably will have a weapon. If you want a combo of lethal/less lethal, load some birdshot in there, it probably wont kill them depending on how far out you hit them from.

1 - 20 of 76 Posts